Tons off issues on DS Fire Link

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Hermessz, Mar 28, 2008.

Mar 28, 2008
  1. Hermessz
    OP

Member Hermessz GBAtemp Regular

Israel
    Hello all,
    Got a DS Fire Card 1GB.
    There are three issues I would like to get an answer for:

1. I downloaded Proffesor Layton and the curious village, it worked for some time, then every time I tried booting it, it shows a white screen, never showed that sreen before.
    2. I play for a long time on Phoenix Wright Ace attorny, now I'm in chapter 4, talking to Lotta hart, then the game gets stuck. Tried twice getting to the same point, no change, gets stuck in the same place. I'm a total psycho of Phoenix Wright, and I gotta fix that issue, could be a faulty rom?
    3. Downloaded FFCC, the USA rip of HugeCock, with the patch, because I heard it has a protection that identifies the flashcart and shut down the game.
    Tried booting it, and it shows a white screen, just like Proffesor Layton.

It's a kind of arrgunt, so inform me of an answer.

2. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    It could be a number of things. Try updating your firmware, try deleting you DSSystem folder(leave the xmenu!) It could be anything.

3. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    I have firmware 1.44 or something like that, came with the box, I'm not gonna dare to update, once I tried and it destroyed my Fire card, had tons of problems with it. I think I can try deleting the LASTSAVE file, or a new rom. Maybe the issue of Phoenix Wright is a faulty rom, those chances are maybe what the problem is.
    I think I can try deleting some stuff at the Fire card, maybe it'll work, I'll let you know.
    Can you be more specific on the thing it could be?

4. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    It could be anything. I am guessing it is operator error because I hav never seen an experienced Ncard owner suffer problems such as these.

To update the firmware, just use my guide: http://www.zshare.net/download/4181719a4290b7/

Make sure you use the .NDS one, as the computer USB upgrade is pretty hard to figure out.

5. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    The xmenu in that file is old. Grab v2.54 from the gbatemp download section.

6. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    .nds?
    I don't get it, there are two kinds of update?
    explain a little bit more.

7. leinad

Member leinad GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    @Prof layton : Did you've tried to copy the rom over again ? Iv already some crashes which has been away after Iv copied the game over twice. (Dunno, maybe some damaged blocks)

+ Are you sure the Save-Type is correct ?
    (Backup you saves before you try!!! they will get useless after testin >.

8. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    how can I make a full format? and it won't delete the firmware (if I do the format through the ds itself), right?

9. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    number 2 has happened to me too in 'Crash Bandicoot crash of the titans' at the same point it just freezez but this has only happened once all my other games worked fine.

10. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    Decided to format the fire card through the DS itself, how can I do it? (it won't delete the xmenu.dat files, right?)

11. leinad

Germany
    !!! Dont format your card over windows !!!

----

A format will delete all files that are on the card.
    So, backup your DSystem folder and xmenu.dat and copy them over again after finishing format.
    The firmware itself is on a place wich isn't affected by formating your card, so I don't think it's possible to damage your card just by formating it.

Howto: L+R+Select+START+UP on startup

12. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    Wait, I don't want to format through Windows, I wanna format it with the flashcart itself, I mean with the option of it in the DS, and I asked if it can damage xmenu.dat.

13. leinad

Germany
    Thats about formating through DS/Flashcard itself.
    The windows part Iv just wrote as a warning ;x

~ xmenu.dat will be deleted on a format, so backup it

14. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    but wait, if I deleted xmenu.dat, how can I write files to the flashcart? It's impossible, and I had troubles with it, that made me change the DS Fire card.

15. ocdetective

Member ocdetective GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    I had a similar problem with Prof. Layton - with the white screen after playing for a while. Re-installing the ROM worked for me too.

16. leinad

Germany
    I don't know what problems youve exactly had, but thats a easy-explaining on which case the xmenu.dat is loaded,

Booting, Checks for GBA Cartridge~
    -If inserted -- Show menu, [No xmenu.dat needed]
    --If selected USB Mode -- Load USB module and hook up to the PC [No xmenu.dat needed]
    --If selected menu
    (Or no GBA Cardridge inserted) -- Load firmware files [xmenu.dat needed, else you will get a error / White screens]

To go into USB mode there is no need for the xmenu.dat,

It would be dumb of the N-Card team to require the USB mode a file, it could be deleted too easy, a mass of cards would turn useless.
    +If you think a bit of it, it wouldn't make sense, because with you "theory" that the card isn't useable/Fixable w/o xmenu.dat the whole Formatting functions would be a Card Killer (+ It would mean, that the N-Card isn't upgradeable, since you need to format it when upgrading)