Now with more MOOSE!!!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Who'da thunk that Lara would ever be good again?

If you dismiss the shitty motorcycle riding parts and the mishmash "meh" gunplay, what you have left at the heart of this game is the Tomb Raider game most have been waiting for since TR 2...

Lara's home returns, although you have to beat the first level to get full access to it (tip: don't bother with it until you play through the first level), it's sweeter then it ever was. No longer confined to square block movement or stale ass gameplay Lara's back and better then ever...

The game is due out in stores tomorrow in Europe and Monday/Tuesday in the US...

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I got it last night (xbox) but the bloody files were to fux0red to fix but luckily today I upgraded to 8mb and I grabbed it again. Will be playing in about 3minutes!

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is a great game. Best tomb raider, the only other tomb raider game I enjoyed was the first one. I have heard it a little short though. The camera on the xbox version takes a lot of getting used to but the 360 one is easy to get used to. Played the demo of the 360 version as well today.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm about 50% done and it's awesome. I told someone at college that I was playing it and they laughed at me telling me how much Tomb Raider sucks. Not this one! Plus, the graphics are absolutly beautiful too! It feels like Prince Of Persia in the Tomb Raider universe.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought it was amazing!

I absolutely loved the earlier TR games (on the PC). 1, 2 and 3 were fantastic. 4 was quite good. But for some reason, I never played 5 or 6. Probably as I heard they sucked quite bad.
Plus, the series hadn't really evolved too much in the way of gameplay. The controls were always quite awkward, but once you got used to them they were okay.

I didn't have high expectations for TRL, but was really hoping they would revamp the series and do it right...

I played the demo yesterday, and absolutely LOVED it. The new control system is amazing IMO, I really really like it. It just feels so fluid and natural, it's just really easy to move Lara exactly where you want.

The jumping, swinging, climbing is all spot on. I'm so glad they got the key gameplay controls this good.

And yeh, the gunplay IS quite "meh". It works, and is fine -- don't get me wrong! There's nothing wrong with it. It just feels a bit strange,... Perhaps because it feels different than the earlier games.

The graphics and environments are looking to be great... Can't wait to see more!

I'm definetely picking this game up tomorrow after work!
smile.gif

(BTW if anyone's interested in actually paying for it. Play.com have it for £17.99 (free P&P), which is the cheapest I've found! But I'll be picking it up in HMV... I have vouchers!
grog.gif
)

Luse

Now with more MOOSE!!!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Lara's home returns
Two questions.
1- The maze, is it there again or is it still the quadbike circuit?
2- And if the creepy butler is still chasing Lara arround the house can we lock him in the freezer?

1. No maze, no bike, in fact you can't go outside the house at all, which might sound limiting until you see the size of the fuckin' house...

2. The butler stays by the fireplace ( there are also a few other characters around the house)

Jojjy Ugnick

shake your bonbon
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm still quite surprised that they continue to make Tomb Raider games. They were never horrible or anything, but pretty mediocre. Glad to hear that the developers have perhaps learned the errors of their ways.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's ok, not really been into them to be honest. Prefer Prince of Persia. I'd love to see a sequel to Urban Chaos (Tomb Raider but set in a city and you play a cop) I loved that game but I guess it would never happen.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'd like to LICK... err, KICK some ASS as well
wink.gif

But I'll be waiting till this comes out on Gamecube later on in the year (yes it has been announced).

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Hey guys Im stuck at the first temple lol. Just after I get close to it theres some crates like 3 or 4 and a pivet thingy. I need to put the crates on the swtches but I cant move them up!!??

DarkLink

Advanced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys Im stuck at the first temple lol. Just after I get close to it theres some crates like 3 or 4 and a pivet thingy. I need to put the crates on the swtches but I cant move them up!!??
laugh.gif
I got stuck on that part too! Move the cage from under the pivet thing... and slide it about 1/3's of the way up on the side where it was under....turn around climb onto the ledge where the switches are and in the middle switch part go to the end and face the pivet thing then jump onto the side thats up and you will make the cage fly onto the ledge part! repeat
smile.gif

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just beat the game earlier today. Awesome ending. I need more!

It gave me a cheat code for textureless mode. Holy crap, I'm such a 3D nerd. I replayed the first couple levels in this mode.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone else playing this in "next-gen" mode?

The games graphics in next-gen mode are the best of any game I've ever played (inc. HL2 and Oblivion).
ohmy.gif

Loving the game too. I've just started the Africa level and have explored a lot of Croft Manor.

I love this game.
smile.gif

Luse

Now with more MOOSE!!!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Textureless mode looks neat, but I bet it's PC only...

I completed Croft Manor, but I can't remember where I got the binoculars...Might have been in the upper level pool area.

The pool room is on the ground floor, take the left door by the fireplace...

I've only completed 2 levels (in addition to Croft Manor) instead of beating it all now I'm taking my time playing, I've heard it's too short and from what I've played i'd agree with that...

Edit:I've been playing the 360 version so the "next gen" mode is always on...

They have a PS2 versus 360 video on gametrailers :

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2209

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water