Tom McShea responds to Zelda review criticism

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by KingVamp, Nov 19, 2011.

Nov 19, 2011
  1. KingVamp
    OP

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    [​IMG]

:arrow:Source

2. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The typical man who prefers his own ways rather than asking for directions. :P

3. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Sounds about right. Controls are fine for me, this game should have a 10/10 if it were me.

inb4Guild bitches about controls and Nintendo being bad. :ha:

8 people like this.
  4. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    He shoulda' read the instruction manual.

Most of us here who have played it already didn't even need the manual to understand the controls though.

Did he even pay attention to the tutorial dialogues?

:wacko:

5. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I played it a little while ago - I didn't have any problem with the controls at all (and the file I was using had all of the weapons, so I had a chance to use them all.) Did he have a busted remote or something? Because the whole registering and looking at the floor thing- I've never had that happen to me. I like the fact that it doesn't rely on the sensor bar and that you can center the pointer - it'll make it a whole lot easier for me with my setup when I get the game.

But it's cool that he stands by his word. I don't care for reviews and reviewers, but I can get with him not changing his score because of pressure and what not.

6. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    "Ultimately, you point at the screen no matter which method the controller is using"

That's STILL wrong. You don't need to point at the screen once it's calibrated.

7. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Normally I stay clear of these sorts of things (opinions being, well, opinions) but I'm actually inclined to say that he was, indeed, doing it wrong, which pretty much invalidates the entire review.

8. KingVamp
    OP

United States
    :lol: Yep and basically saying "I'm right and you are wrong."

[yt]QEge_2Vuft0[/yt]

1 person likes this.
  9. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Apparently there's also been a controversy about the Star Wars: The Old Republic on Gamespot.
    I've heard something like they issued a 5.5 review on the site, but later took it down leaving a placeholder 0.0 score (as evidence that a review was put online, then removed)

Seriously though, Gamespot can suck it, they're the worst of the worst these days. Nobody likes them.

10. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    Maybe I'm missing something, but the bold is the question the questioners asked, italics are supposedly the bad reviewer, and the regular text is commentary from Gamespot, right?

You HAVE to in order to aim the Bow, Slingshot, beetle, and a number of other items.
    Fi explains it clearly, you press the down D-Pad button to recenter the cursor once it goes off allignment. I need to recenter it a lot, but it's not a bad problem imo.
    You aim by pointing the wii-mote at the screen, and pull the nunchuck back like a bowstring.
    [quote="corrected" reviewer]aiming was handled by the infared sensor, when it's actually controlled by the gyroscopes[/quote]
    What? Unplug the IR Sensor, aiming won't work at all. Same goes for item selection.

So, am I missing something? I must be.... The guy that's talking in regular text (not bold nor italics) is 100% wrong.

Someone help me, I'm so confused....

11. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The shrug in that video is comic genius.

12. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    this proof tha gamespo is not good for reviews

13. AceWarhead

Member AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

United States
    Well, sometimes, they do.

What? Unplug the IR Sensor, aiming won't work at all. Same goes for item selection.

So, am I missing something? I must be.... The guy that's talking in regular text (not bold nor italics) is 100% wrong.

Someone help me, I'm so confused....
    [/quote]
    He's an idiot.( not you.)

14. smile72

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    I don't trust gamespot for reviews in the first place. This just gives me more reasons to evade it in general.

2 people like this.
  15. KingVamp
    OP

United States
    Whether than point, hold the wiimote like a bow.

Pretty much like this.

Pointing at the screen, does the aim go exactly were you want it?

I read somewhere that all actions are done by motion not ir. Got to find it tho.

16. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    Holding the wimote like Robin does in that video doesn't work right when holding it like that for me, I need to hold point the IR part of the wiimote at the screen for it to work right.

So maybe, possibly, this Tom guy is having the same controller issues I am (First party wiimote with Wiimotion plus NOT built in, first party nunchuck), including the other stuff he mentioned that I found to be accurate that no one else does (aiming at the floor, I.E.).......
    Even so, I wouldn't rate the game a 7.5, I'd still give it at least a 9/10.

17. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    I agree completely, they used to be a reasonable source for reviews though. :(
    I remember when they were my go-to guys for this sort of thing, now I wait for REAL critics to weigh in.

18. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Gamespot doesn't even deserve to mentioned on this site. They are pure shit.

1 person likes this.
  19. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    his remote must be fucked than cos i never once had a problem with the sword not swinging where i wanted it or link looking at the ground!!! and whats with this bow bs just point the remote an the screen and push A it works! :rofl: what a fuck-tard

20. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    Actually, he is a little right. The controls for Skyward Sword are just downright horrible. I have never seen anything so horribly done. There is no word mankind has or can even invent to describe this **** to be honest.

Nintendo shouldn't have used Motion Plus. Or they can do it, but they should have given us the option of Gamecube controller.

No offense, people says the game is harder than the others, but I doubt it actually is. Everytime I died, it was because of those terrible controls. Give me a gamecube controller and I'd have died like once.

Also, why make us center the damn camera all the time? This is actually another thing they did wrong. It could have easily been made to always stay centered.