Tom Hardy to Play Sam Fisher in Splinter Cell Movie

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Tom Hardy has become a lot more famous since he played Bane* in The Dark Knight Rises this year. It's now been announced that he will star as Sam Fisher in the movie adaptation of the Tom Clancy: Splinter Cell games.

Splinter Cell doesn't even have a movie studio tied to it just yet but with Tom Hardy signed up and Eric Singer (The International) as the writer no doubt someone should pick it up especially as the game is pretty big and Tom Clancy movies tend to do well.

BTW you should watch Bronson, Tom Hardy was in it and it's fucking awesome.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...er-cell-movie?abthid=50a40da7473b498207000037

*The Bane in this movie wasn't anyway near the Bane in the comics to me but he was ok in it.

2. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    I've never seen a poor performance from Tom Hardy. All the way back to his role as
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    in Star Trek: Nemesis. He's done quite a few terrific mini-series as well that are up on Netflix.

As far as a Splinter Cell movie...not sure it needs to be done. All we've seen movie-wise from Clancy's IP are Jack Ryan movies. They did well not because they were particularly good, but because they had star power behind them. Sam Fisher is an unknown character to many and unfortunately Tom Hardy is an unknown actor to many.

Story-wise, this would probably have to take place before we first met Sam Fisher in the original Splinter Cell game seeing as Tom Hardy is only in his mid-thirties.

3. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    [​IMG]
    Not again

4. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    dunno why...this comes to mind

on listening to it again this guy could be the Sean Connery of Sam Fishers

5. Rockhoundhigh

Member Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

United States
    Hasn't this movie been in pre-development (production) hell since Chaos Theory?

6. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Other studios have wanted to make it but their rights had now lapsed. in the last year or so, Uibisoft has taken charge of their properties what with this and Assassin's Creed.

7. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I really liked him as Bane but I wasn't a fan of him as the Piclone in Nemesis. Mainly because Nemesis was pretty bad and there was not much that would redeem that concept.

Although he was really lanky in Nemesis and super buff in DKR, so now he's gonna need to be in some inbetween type of thing for Sam Fisher?

8. Black-Ice

Member Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

United Kingdom
    Dude has had a really good run, I worked with him once on an acting job but that was while i was still young and unfortunately before he became famous.
    I raged at the potential autograph I could of had when I saw his name in the credits of the Dark Knight Rises.
    Still he's a great actor and a cool guy. I look forward to this.

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Hmm I will have to see some more of his voicework as Michael Ironside probably ranks as one of the best game voiceovers I have heard (up there with Garrett from thief). Granted that is probably more my fondness for dark humour so the writers probably also want a nod.

10. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    The Splinter Cell franchise seems pretty well suited for a film adaptation, and Tom's Hardy enough for the role.

Consider me cautiously optimistic.

Hyro-Sama likes this.
  11. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Still a better fit for Sam Fisher in the movie than the horrible actor in Splinter Cell Blacklist.

12. Frank Cadena

Member Frank Cadena GBAtemp Fan

Brunei
    Wow, a Splinter Cell Movie. I loved the games, the story and I've got the books so here's hoping that the movie is good if not just as good.