Tom Clancy's EndWar - New screens, game is actually real!

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Hadrian, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Hadrian
    OP

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    Finally its been confirmed that strategy game EndWar is coming to the DS. Previously we've only known about it as a listing but now there are screens.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Screens from here.

Sadly it looks a bit like Advance Wars, don't get me wrong I love Advance Wars but I was hoping for some good RTS action so I guess all I have to hope for noew is that its just a good game. Damn why don't people give us different style strategy titles?

2. Mei-o

Mei-o Generic Asian Kidâ„¢

Jun 22, 2008
    Somewherewherewhere
    It looks like a less-kiddy visual version of Advance Wars.

Either fear of taking risks or severe lack of creativity.

3. thedicemaster

thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Apr 26, 2008
    Netherlands
    is there even another RTS game in english, besides FFXII:RW?

4. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    Command & Destroy was more like the old school PC titles. Sadly it was extremely average and featured password save as if it was the early 90's.
    Eco Creatures: Save the Forest, different but still an RTS. Very cute but odd and was alright to play. Some liked it others didn't.

5. 2128

2128 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2007
    Ys Strategy and Heroes of Mana. Both of which were...not...good.

6. -Mew-

-Mew- GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2008
    Croatia
    Croatia
    Red Alert 1 or CnC or even Dune 2 if one of them was ported it would be awesome.

7. Chrono_Tata

Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 26, 2008
    Thailand
    I really cannot imagine an RTS which can be considered good by modern standards being made on the DS, with the hardware restriction and all, though I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

This game looks pretty slick. Hope it's decent.

8. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    Imagine them done old school style. A lot of the older ones are still considered to be better than modern ones.

9. psycoblaster

psycoblaster Divine

Jan 26, 2008
    Seoul.. (in Korea)
    advanced wars was the first thing i've said after looking at the screens... look at the missiles!

hmm??? is that france?

10. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    nice game but i really wished there was an age of empires Pc type game for the DS like as hadrian said

11. Doggy124

Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 14, 2007
    Thailand
    Thailand
    a mixture of Advance War and RA...interesting

12. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    RTS's would be horrid on the DS if they were ports of PC games. Simple fact is that RTS games have lots of button mapping and you have to have shortcuts in order to build quickly and be good at the game.

13. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    Short cuts on the touchscreen perhaps?

Anyway I'd rather not have a port from a PC game, just something with a similar style.

14. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    They would get in the way of the stylus selecting units and stuff.

15. pilotwangs

pilotwangs GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2008
    Looks alright,Ill be giving it a go.

When Eric Chahi's Strategy game comes out,I will probably buy 10 copies.It'll no doubt be a PC game,but you never know,it -could- be a DS game.

16. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    I disagree, if it was done right they wouldn't.

17. concealed identi

concealed identi GBAtemp Fan

May 16, 2008

Yeah, it would be easy, really. For starters, I'm pretty sure the original Command and Conquer games didn't even use right-click for anything. Even if it did, it would be really easy to implement shortcuts- just hold down the L button to bring up a menu after you select a unit, or map four commands to the d-pad. I definitely didn't use more than 4 button shortcuts when playing Starcraft, Age of Empires, etc.

18. Chrono_Tata

Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 26, 2008
    Thailand
    Not so much graphic and interface I'm worried about, but whether the DS can handle the amount of units that are moving simultaneously on the map. I mean, my old laptop had problems running Red Alert 2 when there are 8 players, if you see where I'm coming from.

19. thedicemaster

thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Apr 26, 2008
    Netherlands
    i find FFXII:RW a good example of how RTS games could work.

the "too many units" is simply solved by putting a limit on the amount of units a player can have, by requiring "captured buildings" to keep them in.
    (captured buildings can't be built, only taken over)
    building/training can easily done in the age of empires/generals way, you select a building/builder and you get a few icons at the top of the touchscreen(FFXII shows this does work out)
    and in FFXII all 2nd mouse button functions could be used with the Dpad, normal tapping, and a button on the touchscreen.

yes FFXII:RW isn't a full RTS like red alert, and age of empires, but it shows how a game like red alert/age of empires could be done on a DS.

also, there's a full RTS homebrew being made right now, called "a touch of war" i think.

20. Shabadage

Shabadage GBAtemp Fan

Mar 12, 2008
    United States
    Colorado
    Battletech Crescent Hawks Revenge all the way. Though I'd settle for MechCommander (1 preferred, but 2 wouldn't be bad)