" Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist' "

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by dice, Aug 24, 2008.

Aug 24, 2008
  1. dice
    OP

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    Source: - Telegraph (and wilddenim)

Political correctness gone mad... again [​IMG]

2. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    Toddler starts at 2 years old -- How can you possibly call a 2 year old a racist? My 2 year old doesn't like spicy food. Does that make him racist? I think not.

Some people are fucking stupid.

3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Is spinach an ingredient particularly common or typical in some country's cuisine? As a placeholder, I'll call that country "Spinaccia". In that case, 99% of children are horribly racially prejudiced against Spinaccia and its people. Which is deeply concerning, and steps must be taken.

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    "Hey kid, eat your snails!"

"Eww, that's disgusting!".

Also

What if the kid hasn't been bathed and has just made a mess in his pants? Would the kids be allowed to say that he smells then?

Not to mention "those people" is usally the term I use whilst talking about people who's names I don't know.

Not to mention last time I went to a nursery-type place, a lot of the kids there seemed to be hitting each other. If a white baby were to hit a baby of another race, would it be racism or a childish fight?

5. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    so called political correctness plays things up that should be of minor interest anyway.

6. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    ....what?

can governments REALLY BE THAT STUPID?

7. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    This is Britain. Our government really is that stupid.

So is out Judicial System.

8. acoustic.digital

Member acoustic.digital GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Thats a bit over the top. First they should check if the kid knows what racismn is. HOW CAN A BABY BE RACIST?

9. silent sniper

Canada
    lol its not like you see little toddlers running around in Klan uniforms.

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @silent sniper, really?
    [​IMG]

Back on topic, I have several ways to play this one so I will go through them all.

1) I really though people would go for intent in actions/words but it looks like it will not happen after all.

2) Newspeak targeted at three year olds...... ducks from black helicopter.

3) Perhaps now we are educating our young about the ways of spicy food when I appear and order some food that says hot it will actually do what it says.

4) yadda yadda yadda, last one out turn off the lights.

5) If it is to be government enforced I am off to open a Surströmming factory.

11. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

I think the article was probably a bit exaggerative, likely it originally meaning to watch toddlers who say certain cultures' styles of food were inferior or something and teach them how to rephrase it to cause least offense, but isn't calling toddlers racist for disliking spicy foods. I do agree that even from a toddler's age that they must respect other cultures' including their style of food.

12. silent sniper

Canada
    that doesn't mean they have to like it.

seriously, I'm Indian, and from birth I've hated most Indian food. Does that make me a racist? No. I love my country of origin, but I hate most food. Simple as that.

13. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    Re-read what you typed. This is the exact PC bullshit that scares the hell out of me. Do you know any toddler who would "say certain cultures styles of food were inferior"? Do you really believe that a toddler "must respect other cultures' including their style of food"? If food doesn't taste good a toddler will tell you. If someone is smelly a toddler will tell you. Why? Because they are honest, not racist. Your statements are so PC it sickens me. I'm not being racist, just honest.

14. Talaria

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    I don't think their targeting it specifically on various cutural food's [​IMG]. Children at an early age copy what their parents and siblings do. Since Briton is a multi-cultural country with various different races, there are some people/parents who despise the various different races which live in the country. And back at home they call them derogatory names and express their disgust about them. This unfortunately often spreads to the children as they think its normal and don't know any better thus they start using the terms unknowingly that they themselves are being racist and eventually grow into it and look down on those societies when they progress to adults and this sometimes spreads to their children and their children's children etc. This is the root of Racism which will never be destroyed and their will always remain throughout the ages.

I think it's ok for the goverment to try and get rid of these things at an early age for the children to help make society better. But I think the whole cultural food thing the media over-exagerated as they often do and turn that around as the main point thus causing the various arguments above which is exactly what they want. [​IMG] [/rant]

15. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    Talaria, re-read what you just typed. This is the exact PC bullshit we are talking about. Only "older 'white' people" make racist comments in Britain? Only white toddlers should be corrected for making comments about others or their food (whether true or not). The one thing you are correct about is that racism will always exist, but it exists in all races.

16. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    lol fail. Who thinks of these things.

17. Pioggia

Newcomer Pioggia Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I was reading about this the other day in the metro (us brits who use London trans will understand)
    and it's simply ridiculous! i've been told by my god child (yes i have a god child at 17 - he's 2 in a month ^^) im 'schmelly' (burberry brit perfume) it doesn't necessarily mean it's a negative, and even if it was, their toddlers for goodness sake!
    i remember being like 5-6, i hated spicy food, and i still do in most cases, it doesn't mean im racist! some people don't like spicy food, and when your younger you have delicate taste buds which change as you grow up, i used to hate cheese in all aspects, i now like it (in some cases)
    fare enough scolding them for saying words like 'blackie' and 'paki' but for saying 'yuk'?.

i completely agree with lazycus and silent sniper on this one - Britain's government has completely lost the plot

18. Xeijin

Member Xeijin GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    +1 Acknowledgement for the Metro. I've had no reason to buy another newspaper since.

19. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you actually read the article and its quotes, you'll see this is nothing but typical media hysterics over nothing. The handful of lines they quoted from the 300-page document make no mention of 'spicy' food or anything like that. It says:

...and, yes, if a toddler goes around calling people 'nigger', of course they should be gently childed. Nobody would argue with that... but since some people like to work themselves into a rhetorical rage over imaginary issues, BS articles like this one get copy-pasted all over the internet, with less and less sane interpretations attached to them at every turn.

Pay attention, people. This is a fluff piece being blown out of proportion. Some people just like to throw big whining temper-tantrums about so-called 'political correctness' at any provocation. Because your kid might get a lecture for calling someone a 'blackie' in class, you start bawling about OMG PC THOUGHT-POLICE?

Yeah, right. Go peddle your manufactured outrage somewhere else.

20. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    [​IMG]
    look at this racist mother fucker