Today is Kirby's 25th Anniversary! Happy Birthday Kirby!

KDL_logo.png

It's been 25 years to the day since we first saw the little balloon creature known as Kirby make his way onto Gameboy systems in japan. Kirby's Dreamland went on to sell five million copies and quickly became an iconic character in Nintendo history.

Kirby's Dreamland was actually my first Gameboy game. I'll never forget those days of only getting a game every so often and spending hours upon hours replaying it to get higher scores and try to complete it faster. I adored the music and the silly art style and have the fondest memories of Dreamland today.

And I can't even begin to imagine the hours I've spent on the dreamland stage in every the iteration of Smash Bros over the years. Or the iconic music of the fountain of dreams stage in Super Smash Bros Melee.

Today we celebrate everything Kirby has to offer! Gorge yourself on food today, wear your favorite smash bros characters hat like you just stole their power, listen to the bouncy energetic music and enjoy a Kirby game!

What's your favorite Kirby game and what memories do you have to share with Kirby over the years?

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I found really funny return to dreamland on the Wii with friends, I was impressed with Kirby epic yarn, that was a well thought game, anyway the most I like is Kirby triple deluxe the secret level was the culmination of every single Kirby game it felt like an 25 anniversary, Kirby clash is the enhanced mode of Kirby planet robobot and I like the RPG mechanics of that game, a great year for Kirby with 3 announced games in one year

DDTarZan

Never getting laid again /s
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played Adventure before I played Dream Land, for some reason my family didn't get a Gameboy until way after the NES released. Every Kirby game I've ever played was amazing and fun.

My favorite things about the Kirby series:
The music that plays at the Fountain of Dreams
Pretty much every other Kirby song ever
Kirby mutha fuckin Air Ride for GC.

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIRBY <3 :wub::toot:
I remember the first Kirby games i ever played , which were Squeak Squad and Canvas curse <3
Ever since then i have played most of Kirby DS , 3DS and Wii U games (and Kirby 64 , Crystal Shards) , i loved them <3 . I still need to play GBC , Gamecube and Wii games :O!

Happy birthday cute fluffy thing:shy:

Last edited by SonicCloud,

thewarhammer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The first I've ever played was Dream Land, but Super Star is easily my favorite. The Great Cave Offensive is simply one of my favorite sidescrollers of all time.

But can't forget to give praise to Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards and it's ability mix system.

Deleted member 408979

Gbatemp amphibian
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
am i the only one who still has the 20th anniversary special edition? :')

(but its not in mint bc i got it off blockbuster. Good times.)

(and btw cockbuster closed in late 2015 here in mexico)

My favorite has GOT to be Crystal shards.

THE MUSIC THO :wub:

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
@chavosaur that first gb game was also my first "portable" game lol...
i just played hours and hours trying to finish it, and the extra mode..
btw, 14 extra lifes is the max you could get in that game right? i remember i found some secret doors and i think i did find them all, i played that game too much i am still sick of it after 17 years or more (dont remember when i got it, was a kiddo)

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
gotta be amazing mirror. I wish they did another style like this for the DS era. squeak squad came close but not quite.

the smash cap is one of the best in any game, the art style, the maps system, kirby calling abilities. This one needed a DS verison

Termer

Fullstack developer
Trophies
Website
termer.net
XP
Country
United States
The first time I played Kirby was after I picked up a ran-over GBA SP off the ground (those things are beasts). I got a SuperCard and one of the roms loaded onto it was Nightmare in Dream Land, and another was Magic Mirror.
Those were fond memories, back in 2009, me relentlessly replaying Nightmare in Dream Land, and trying to beat Magic Mirror (which I haven't even beaten today). Happy Birthday, Kirby!

D

Deleted User

His design wasn't finalized by then though, and the Gameboy was monochrome lol
Actually, his design was finalized before he was named Kirby and is pink on the Japanese boxart which released first. The US boxart was the result of Miyamoto telling Sakurai to change the color to yellow so NoA decided to play safe and picked white to match the GB palette.

Last edited by ,

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I grew up with Super Star for the SNES, I still own my own copy of the game and my Super Nintendo in a shoe box. Probably, I've finished that game more times than I can recall, along with Donkey Kong Country 1 and Super Mario All Stars.

But there's something special about Kirby 64, perhaps its the Copy ability mechanics which I loved. Hope in the future, HAL makes another Kirby game with traditional 16 bit graphics with the mechanics of the N64 game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)