Today I learned that the universe is tiring itself out.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm in chemistry (yuck) and today I learned about a little thing called entropy. Entropy is energy that can't do work. In other words, it is useless energy. Now the second law of Thermodynamics says that the collective entropy in the universe can never decrease. It can only stay stagnent or increase. Combine this with the fact that energy can't be created or destroyed, and it seems like eventually, all the energy in the universe will become useless. That means no more sun, no more respiration, not more life, no more anything. The universe will just become cold, dead, weight. I bet the universe will probably end before we can reach that point but it's pretty interesting to think about.

This has been random facts of the day.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

It wont happen in our lifetimes or even our great, great, great, great grandchildren's lifetimes, but fact is the universe is inevitably fucked.

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm in chemistry (yuck) and today I learned about a little thing called entropy. Entropy is energy that can't do work. In other words, it is useless energy. Now the second law of Thermodynamics says that the collective entropy in the universe can never decrease. It can only stay stagnent or increase. Combine this with the fact that energy can't be created or destroyed, and it seems like eventually, all the energy in the universe will become useless. That means no more sun, no more respiration, not more life, no more anything. The universe will just become cold, dead, weight. I bet the universe will probably end before we can reach that point but it's pretty interesting to think about.

This has been random facts of the day.
Chemistry is "yuck"? Boy, chemistry has been the most interesting subject I have ever studied. I actually just finished my 4 year degree in chemistry and absolutely loved every bit of it!

I never thought f entropy as "useless energy" and actually never heard that phrase be used anywhere before (well, there is Gibbs free energy which is in a sense, excess energy, as I think of it at least). You can think of entropy as disorder and rephrase the second law as something like "the disorder of the universe always increases."

Anywho, keep an eye out for the third (and zeroth!) laws of thermodynamics! Chemistry is a real brainteaser and a subject I've come to love and hope you do too. Best of luck with your studies mate!

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Due to how incomprehensibly massive the universe is, that will literally take close to forever, probably.
Due to the nature of time itself, according to current knowledge, "forever" literally means "until entropy is 100%". Time dilation ensures that it behaves like the asymptotic approach of a math function to a straight line, such as the behaviour of a 1/x function relative to the x and y axes, and not a finite point in time that will eventually be crossed. If I screwed your mind up, I apologize, my comprehension of the concept is hazy as well. If a physics student/graduate looks at this and realizes I said something stupid, I apologize², and feel free to correct me :P

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Due to the nature of time itself, according to current knowledge, "forever" literally means "until entropy is 100%". Time dilation ensures that it behaves like the asymptotic approach of a math function to a straight line, such as the behaviour of a 1/x function relative to the x and y axes, and not a finite point in time that will eventually be crossed. If I screwed your mind up, I apologize, my comprehension of the concept is hazy as well. If a physics student/graduate looks at this and realizes I said something stupid, I apologize², and feel free to correct me :P
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein
Perfect example

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chemistry is "yuck"? Boy, chemistry has been the most interesting subject I have ever studied. I actually just finished my 4 year degree in chemistry and absolutely loved every bit of it!

I never thought f entropy as "useless energy" and actually never heard that phrase be used anywhere before (well, there is Gibbs free energy which is in a sense, excess energy, as I think of it at least). You can think of entropy as disorder and rephrase the second law as something like "the disorder of the universe always increases."

Anywho, keep an eye out for the third (and zeroth!) laws of thermodynamics! Chemistry is a real brainteaser and a subject I've come to love and hope you do too. Best of luck with your studies mate!
I guess I really can't complain about it. I excel in it and some of it is interesting, but it's so dang tedious. My textbook described it as disordered energy and then said that it was, essentially, "useless" hence why I used the term. Since you have that 4 year degree (impressive by the way) am I correct in my assumption that over God-knows how long, the universe won't be able to function?

Reactions: placebooooo

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that is called the "heat death of the universe". It is a prevailing theory that eventually all the energy in the universe will more or less run out.

Now all than stuff aside, I read a book by a UK mate named Peter F Hamilton. The book series was called Night's Dawn. Its freaking crazy. But to the point, BORTZ. One of the story branches has an entire space colony get possessed... or something, and transported into an alternate dimension of reality where entropy is extremely strong. I don't know if I can appropriately put into words how exactly it all works since the writer has like 3 Phds in physics. But he explained that everyone was really tired and the colony was getting colder. There were no stars and some people had been turned into ghosts? The colony was attacked by something that I can only remember and describe as an amalgamation of an entire planet's ecosystem all chroneburged together into a single organism raking and feeding on anything it or they or whatever collective it was could get their mouths on. According to the book, the dimension they were transported to is basically a black hole of advanced entropy or basically a universe in heat death. At the center (where the colony is being sucked to) is "cold" pool of near dead ethereal ghosts of past races (alien and otherwise) all grasping for any sort of energy to get out of the melange. Solid matter is so "hot" to the amalgamation creatures, it burns them even though they need it. They need it. Its more than a need. Its more than just a hunger to consume matter, its a desire so strong it dwarfs the desire to survive, it is existence itself they are after.

Anyways, if you like scifi books I would check him out.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or evolved. Manipulate our genetic makeup. Become more like super computers. Maybe discover immortality.
Humans in the future will see us as Neanderthals and ugly looking.
Having species that evolved from us doesn't mean humans don't go exist. There are lots of species we evolved from that have gone extinct. There are only four possible outcomes for the human species. It is possible for more than one of these to exist at the same time:
  1. We have non-human biological descendents that are a different species from us, and humans are extinct.
  2. We have non-human technological descendents, and humans are extinct.
  3. Humans go extinct without any descendants, biological or technological.
  4. Humans are somehow reproduced in a way that prevents mutation and speciation, such as perfect cloning done by a supercomputer.
Ignoring Option #4, which seems like a means without an end, humans will go extinct long before the heat death of the universe.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Anyways, if you like scifi books I would check him out.
I second that recommendation wholeheartedly.

But BORTZ, my man, you butchered the crap out of that plotline :lol:
If Hamilton were dead he would be rolling in his grave right now :lol:
I bet he felt a pang when you clicked "post reply" on that post :lol:

Kidding, kidding... mostly ;)

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein#Misattributed
He never said that :P However, as I said in my earlier post, I have already admitted that I, in fact, do not have a full grasp of the concept :P
Ya, I just realized that now. Was about to post to correct myself. Internet for ya. Don't always trust. Which is why I checked myself to see if he really said it, right after I posted. Its still a good quote though.

"I have already admitted that I, in fact, do not have a full grasp of the concept"
Exactly quote still stands. Laymen's terms is probably the best way to get people to understand. Which some school teachers do a horrible job at.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I second that recommendation wholeheartedly.

But BORTZ, my man, you butchered the crap out of that plotline :lol:
If Hamilton were dead he would be rolling in his grave right now :lol:
I bet he felt a pang when you clicked "post reply" on that post :lol:

Kidding, kidding... mostly ;)
HA it has been a while since i read it and there was just so much stuff going on... holy crap :D

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Having species that evolved from us doesn't mean humans don't go exist. There are lots of species we evolved from that have gone extinct. There are only four possible outcomes for the human species. It is possible for more than one of these to exist at the same time:
  1. We have non-human biological descendents that are a different species from us, and humans are extinct.
  2. We have non-human technological descendents, and humans are extinct.
  3. Humans go extinct without any descendants, biological or technological.
  4. Humans are somehow reproduced in a way that prevents mutation and speciation, such as perfect cloning done by a supercomputer.
Ignoring Option #4, which seems like a means without an end, humans will go extinct long before the heat death of the universe.
I don't think humans will become extinct that easy. With the technology we have and 7 billion people on the planet thats growing bigger every year. Even if we evolve we will still retain the hominin features, just as apes retained some of the vertebrae features and mammal features when they evolved to become apes, and apes still being classified as vertebrates and mammals. Even if all others vertebrates becomes extinct and only apes are around, vertebrates will still continue to exist in apes..

I think there will be a separation of classes, elites and non elites. Humans that use money and science to become more advance, that manipulate their DNA. And humans that don't have access to these resources. Non elites will be primitive and maybe take advantaged of and thought of as inferior species.

Last edited by SG854,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol