To what extent homebrew is hurting Nintendo sales?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by deathfisaro, Jul 28, 2007.

1. deathfisaro
    OP

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    I've been recently experienced that a homebrew I put up on a web was deleted by hosting service because they said they were requested by Nintendo to remove "illegal Nintendo products"

I heavily doubt Nintendo requested to delete homebrews, probably this idiot was like "omg .nds file, IIIIILLEGAAAAL"

Don't homebrew promote hardware sales, and never hurt software sales since it's counterpart doesn't (most of the time) exist in retail.

Are homebrew illegal just because the tool it runs on can be illegal in some part of the world?

That's like saying "You can't go and save a person inside a burning house because you potentially can steal something from the place"

2. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    homebrew? not at all

3. UncleChuckle

Newcomer UncleChuckle Advanced Member

Canada
    I would never have bought my DS were it not for homebrew.

4. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    homebrew doesn't hurt anyone, I think you're confusing homebrew with pirating

5. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    To the degree that someone can download a free piece of shit instead of paying thirty bones for a Movie Licensed-3/10 star rated piece of shit. IOW, substantially.

6. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    Homebrew creates good developers and can bring new ones into the dev job world. Thus giving us more games and better ones worth our cash since they already know how the machine works.
    I mean, take a guy who codes something on his own from scratch and makes a good game. Would you not want a guy like that on your dev staff?
    If it wasnt for hombrew, development teams would be full of trianed monkeys.
    I mean, how do you think games and apps started anyway?
    It wasnt commercialized right off.
    Poeple programed stuff and sent it in magazines for others to program into their computers and try.
    Though hardware is something you have to commercialize right off, but software, thats as potentioly artistic as litature, or even music at extents.

The only thing that hurts the companies are the idea of loosing the "potentoil" purchase lost when someone already has a free copy of said potentiol purchase and they "DECIDE" to not purchase said potentoily purchased item.
    But thats pirating.

So what they are afaird of is the fact that homebrew for a console has to piggy back on pirating methods in order to run.
    Wich is sad, but theres easy ways to fix it.
    Support homebrew.
    It wouldbt be that hard and would even be beneficial to the company to create a homebrew kit with a program that blocks out pirating hacks.
    Like say release a keyboard or make wiimote friendly software that boots in the machine.
    Then just sit back and program C64 style on the TV. (well not so much C64, but ya, you get the point)
    Add some graphic and text importing via SD and you have all the solutions you need.
    Would even make a kick ass WiiWare title.

Course another thing they could be worried about is the potentiol for homebrew to overcome commecial works.ve heard. And they had nothing to do with that game besides have it on their consoles.

Course still, homebrew could overcome a commercial product and they would have to compete over a guy sitting at home with nothing better to do.
    Though compared with a guy doing it for his job, well, thats a good sign that they need to really pick up the slack. They are supposed to be professionals for crying out loud. (wich half the time the commercial devs seem either drunk, stoned, or just down right stupid to atleast a reasonable extent.) So many cheap crap coming out these days. Youd think that in this future poeple would be more artistic with the new cheaper technologies, not less artistic and lazy.

Anyway, fact is, homebrew doesnt hurt.
    Its the company thats afaird of a so called pandora's box of commercial compeitiion and home dev freedom.
    That and homebrew players getting into pirating since homebrewing still hides on that pirating technique in order to get running without the help of the company.

Besides, Nintendo is rather stingy about who programs on their machines sometimes.
    I think theres a good amount of Japanse companies rather strict about their licenses and what not.

Anyway, ya, for those who dont read the rest of my long ass posts.
    Homebrew is freedom, the freedom of homebrew hurts no one and can only ultimately better commercial software.
    Though it may be the method of running said homebrew that companies are really afaird of.

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Just for fun I will throw emulation into the mix, how many of you got the classic nes series or any of the "remakes" for consoles where there are good emulators. While I find the idea of paying for stuff I effectively already have less than brilliant it is still technically copyright theft (oh how I hate that term).
    Somewhat of a cop out as well but copyright, as egregious as it may be, is quite a few years yet from expiring.

Bedroom coders, I agree that it where it came from and their are some damn fine coders that appear as a result but I suspect the link is ever more tenuous as the years go on.
    Then again I do not believe the bedroom coders went away, they merely became the mod makers and rom/game hackers.

8. nephdj

Member nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    homebrew itself doesnt hurt nintendo, its just name "homebrew" gets a bad name as people use it to cloud piracy

9. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I'm just guessing, but developers probably have to pay Nintendo to use their official devkit. So in some ways, the homebrew development kits circumvent Nintendo claiming royalties from developers for making games for their system. Does it hurt Nintendo: probably not, because
    a) the number of people using those unofficial kits who will then go on to sell their creations is going to be too small to take notice of
    b) similar to what shadow1w2 said, by slamming even more brick walls in front of those "bedroom coders" the industry's going to lose the "people with prior experience" that it loves to employ so much. It's impossible to get into IT now without working on some projects on your own time, and stopping people from doing that will hurt the industry in the long run.

10. felix123

Member felix123 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Nintendo's profit for the last quarter went up five times compared with last year. You tell me how much homebrew is hurting it. [​IMG]

11. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    QFT

Homebrew is profit really.

12. Scorpei

Netherlands
    You know what is even more idiotic? Giving people a blu-ray disc and then telling them they can only watch it if they buy a HDCP TV and player. Because else, who knows, someone (read YOU) might be able to get the video&audio data and put it online or worse make home copies! Effectivly saying: "We are going to sell you this product for a lot of money, but we don't really trust you with it so you can't really acces the data. It's for your own good you know, it's safer this way, really!".

13. deathfisaro
    OP

Canada
    So it sums up that Nintendo possibly requested to take down ROMs, and this idiot decided to think my homebrew file was a ROM just because it's .nds

There should be a flashcart that has disabled commercial games ROM support, so officially it doesn't run any pirated games but homebrew (quite easy to implement too, and quite easy to bypass that lock as well)
    It'd really draw a line between pirates and homebrew users, what a way to disguise pirate identity. It will encourage homebrew development, along with fixing general public's misinterpretation homebrew = piracy.

I mean, this idiot can't distinguish between homebrew and game ROMs, that tells me general public has very much no idea.

14. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    Not possible. Why? Because homebrew are .nds files themselves, and as many people said, if you block commercial games from running on a flashcart, homebrew won't work either.

15. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Not only that, but if it WAS possible to disable real games from running and only run homebrew and someone made such a cart and put it on the market, who would buy it? I sure wouldn't. What would you rather play, Homey's Homebrew Half-Finished BugFest, or a AAA title like Zelda or Castlevania or Mario's Flowers and Bunnies 12?

If you say, "You should BUY the official games", you're missing the point.

Now, I'm not saying all homebrew games suck, no. Some of them have been really great. But most people know nothing about homebrew games and wouldn't buy a cart that would only play those obscure homebrew games that no one has ever heard of when they can get one that plays popular games that they actually know about and want.

16. deathfisaro
    OP

Canada
    If there were such things around, my homebrew wouldn't have been taken down. And there are people who say they use flashcarts for just homebrew, if that's true they'll buy it, although I'll still prefer my R4. I never said go buy games, I said homebrew deserves another look, and it's unfair to treat homebrew like other dumped ROMs.

17. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    So, games n music can run commercial roms because it can run homebrew? no

edit: forgot about GBAMP and MMD lol, cuz i don't have one. although they require hacked firmwares.

anyways, homebrew is great for any console.

I'd be pushed to buy a console these days without homebrew support (officially or unofficially), and moreso if it's a handheld.

18. Scorpei

Netherlands
    Remember the GBAMP people? Aside from the fact that it doesn't have any RAM and that Max Media started ripping it off (and then other people ripping the backup systems for it) it is a homebrew only card. But still, running your own backups ISN't hurting N sales at all. It is only easier for you to carry the DS around meaning that in reality it would benefit DS sales as it improves user friendlyness.

A well...

19. deathfisaro
    OP

Canada
    Apparently many people not familiar with game console/handhelds or homebrew fail to see that. Some company should promote homebrew (by homebrew I mean beneficial homebrew, not some piracy tool that will make people think homebrew = piracy again) and could lead a new way of user involvement in gaming industry.

20. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Forget games; Moonshell, Colours/Phidias, DS Organise, Imageviewers and all the other non-game applications are what would sell these carts to non-programmers. The things the DS can do which are pretty damned cool but unavailable commerically. True, they wouldn't have as much publicity and fewer people would be aware of their existance but it'd still be more than worth the money.

But it's true, if an unlimited cart and a limited one are both on sale for the same price most people will go for unlimited, except for the activists supporting the message the homebrew-only cart is trying to get across. It depends on the company's motives, in this case promoting homebrew will reduce their profits and lose sales to their competitors. If they're not in it for the profit then great, but (ye of little faith) you'd be hard-pressed to find a company willing to do that. Enthusiasts might.