that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. Seems like just about everyone on here has heard about the whole shitstorm with NoA not releasing the smaller New 3DS model in the states. I'm just going to ask a few things to try to make a decision before the XLs come out next month. So here goes:

• Say I didn't want to sit on my hands and wait for NoA to make the right decision. Say I imported a PAL region system. How would I be able to play games aside from importing them? Is switching from NTSC something that someone on here has done at all?
  • If I were to switch over to the PAL side of things, would I be able to use a US debit card on a PAL Nintendo account to get games?
  • I currently have an OG 3DS from back when they first came out. I debated getting an XL a long while ago, but decided against it. Should I reconsider? I'm a smaller dude, so I have always thought that the XL might be too big for me, but a lot of people on here seem to like the system, so ah. Is the whole "pixel stretching" thing really that bad (if anyone has comparison pics, that'd be awesome).
  • As far as homebrew/hacking/Sky3DS stuff goes, is there any feasible way to switch the region of a PAL system to play NTSC games?
I'm just trying to figure all of this out before I go and do something stupid like dropping $200 on a New XL or vice versa with a PAL smaller model. I wish to god that Nintendo would just do some sort of online exclusive deal for the smaller model, but it doesn't seem like they're going to do that anytime soon.

D

Deleted-355425

you could use gateway to dump your US carts and change the region or play them with the PAL/EUR N3DS through gateway its self.

XL is worth it too, personal preference but i like the bigger screens.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you are planning on getting gateway might as well import and get the one you want though it will cost a lot more.
if you are going to be legit you pretty much have to get an american xl, importing, waiting for and paying more for every single game is not going to be worth it.

i really wanted a smaller one too but i'm not dealing with all that hassle i just bought an xl that i'll sell for a smaller one if they ever come out.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey everyone. Seems like just about everyone on here has heard about the whole shitstorm with NoA not releasing the smaller New 3DS model in the states. I'm just going to ask a few things to try to make a decision before the XLs come out next month. So here goes:

• Say I didn't want to sit on my hands and wait for NoA to make the right decision. Say I imported a PAL region system. How would I be able to play games aside from importing them? Is switching from NTSC something that someone on here has done at all?
No without a flashcard, but if you care not to update beyond FW9.2 and use a Gateway, you will be able to play USA games. Of course the Gateway N3DS support will be available very SOON™, so be ready to wait.
  • If I were to switch over to the PAL side of things, would I be able to use a US debit card on a PAL Nintendo account to get games?
Yes (credit card yes, not sure about debit). But take into consideration that European games are more expensive.
  • I currently have an OG 3DS from back when they first came out. I debated getting an XL a long while ago, but decided against it. Should I reconsider? I'm a smaller dude, so I have always thought that the XL might be too big for me, but a lot of people on here seem to like the system, so ah. Is the whole "pixel stretching" thing really that bad (if anyone has comparison pics, that'd be awesome).
The XL is way better IMHO. If I were you I would wait for the USA new 3DS XL, as it is XL, and also in America 3DSes are always cheaper.
Also, I have both an original 3DS (USA), and a 3DS XL (EUR). The XL is way better on the eyes and hands.
You will see the big pixels, but that is what the 3DS is about, it even feels kind of retro. (I like the big screen, even with the low resolution)
  • As far as homebrew/hacking/Sky3DS stuff goes, is there any feasible way to switch the region of a PAL system to play NTSC games?
You can use foreign games with a Gateway in Classic mode. There is no conversion available right now that would let you use the USA eshop also.
I'm just trying to figure all of this out before I go and do something stupid like dropping $200 on a New XL or vice versa with a PAL smaller model. I wish to god that Nintendo would just do some sort of online exclusive deal for the smaller model, but it doesn't seem like they're going to do that anytime soon.
My recomendation, wait for the USA XL version, XL is IMHO better, and it is quite possible it will come with FW9.2 or lower.

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went with a Japanese N3DS simply because the costs of importing an AUS one are way too much. I only plan to play my US games and backups so I'm not really worried about eshop or anything else really. But I'd rather spend the money saved by getting a JPN version over the AUA one on other stuff.

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am going to go ahead and buy a US XL when they come out in a few weeks. I intend to get a GW/Sky when they mature enough, so I'll hold off on that stuff for now. As for the smaller model, I will definitely import one if there is ever such a hack that allows us to remove the region locking permanently, or a way to flash US firmware onto a JP model. But that probably isn't going to happen for a little while, at least.

I went to the store a few days ago to try to get myself acquainted with the larger size of the XL (they had a display model/kiosk). I was originally really scared of pixel stretching and loss of quality, but the XL looked just fine in comparison to my smaller unit. It felt a little nicer in the hands as well. I guess I will just have to get some sort of carrying thing if I intend to take it with me, since it won't fit in my pockets anymore, haha!

D

Deleted-355425

Wish I had room in my pockets for any handheld console when you carry money, car/house keys, phone and wallet ... Mine doesn't leave the house anyway.

D

Deleted-355425

they will eventually, they will make you buy the XL first because its new then when they have sold a large amount then they will release the 3DS version and you can all buy it again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1