To try a save game from a wad on an original game...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by The_Hulkster, Apr 1, 2009.

1. The_Hulkster
    OP

Member The_Hulkster GBAtemp Regular

Hi!

I wanted to test if it's possible to use a save file from a wad on a real bought game from the shop channel.
    Apparently it caused some issues in the shop channel for me.

First I had the game installed on my Wii which I bought from the shop channel, so I thought.
    Deleted the game, backed up the save game but decided it was crap anyway so threw it out.

Then installed a wad of it found on the glorious internet.
    Played the game, had a save file, backed up the save file and uninstalled the wad.

Then I went back to the shop channel to download the game yet again, only this time it said I hadn't bought it!
    So now I'd have to buy it "again"!

I'm starting to doubt myself here if I really did buy the game, the purchase after all should have taken place a couple of months ago, but I'm fairly sure I did. I can't find a copy of an earlier downloaded wad of that particular game on my pc anyway and I always backup the wads I use for any future reference.

Has an issue like this been reported before or am I the first?

It does strike me as odd because I thought the Shop Channel server just remembered your Wii and linked the game downloads to it. Didn't think anything was stored on your Wii for the Shop Channel.

Chances are I'm just losing my mind and I didn't really buy it. Maybe I should just test it again.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the feedback!

2. Burnout600

Newcomer Burnout600 Advanced Member

United States
    Unfortunately, the way the shop works is that when you download a VC title the purchasing information is stored on your Wii in that game's title information. So when you uninstalled the wad of the VC title, wad manager deletes ALL information about that wad, including all title information that would have told the wii shop that you had purchased that title.

At least, thats how it was explained to me once.

3. The_Hulkster
    OP

Member The_Hulkster GBAtemp Regular

Can't imagine the shop not having some kind of reference to my download...
    And if all this information is on you Wii and not on their servers, wouldn't someone be able to bypass this system and make it seem like the games are bought and paid for while they're not?

Still, the game's gone. They're actually forcing people to pirate now [​IMG]
    I just wanted a backup of the game and the possibility to test a game out before actually buying it.

But on the bright side, there might be a chance I'm not going mad. [​IMG]