To Tip or not to Tip

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by halljames, Dec 21, 2006.

Dec 21, 2006

To Tip or not to Tip by halljames at 10:28 AM (3,483 Views / 0 Likes) 48 replies

1. halljames
    OP

Member halljames GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I was reading another post about credit card fraud and someone mentioned tipping in a restaurant and made me think.

I know tipping is standard in the US and perhaps other places, but it seems to be catching on in the UK.

I personaly never tip, not unless it was something god damn amazing. I just think that people get paid a salary and why should they expect to get tipped for doing their job. Nobody ever tips me for doing my job. I am dead against it, and have noticed after a lot of meals I have been to, sometimes when you go to pay by card, the little portable card machine automaticaly comes up with an option to put in a tip amount before you put in your pin, which means for me, I have to decline the tip option, and sometimes, they make the Cancel button quite hard to find.

I know a lot of people might be shocked at this post, but just curious as to what people think, specificaly in the UK, as I know in other countries, tipping is the norm.

It always makes me remember that wonderful scene in Reservoir Dogs at the begging about tipping LOL

2. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    tipping is know in the uk i tip everytime i use a service like taxi and cafe and so. must people in the uk do tip.tipping is the norm in the ik your making us sound if we are tight.

3. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    I never tip and neither does anyone else I know.
    In some countries tipping is offensive, such as Japan, if you want to display your gratiude give a present. If the present happens to be money it has to be sealed in an envelope or similar.

4. thegame07

United Kingdom
    it must be a english thing then

5. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Tipping is an evil, greedy activity. It gives us Americans an excuse not to pay our food service people enough to live on, and to pass the expence of a living wage more completely on to the end consumer. No good comes of it.

6. halljames
    OP

United Kingdom
    Its not a question of being tight, people should be paid appropriatly. Why should someone who waits tables get tips, and someone who writes software for a living gets nothing.

7. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    I'm a waiter at a restaurant, the tip is pretty standard.
    If you're nice to the people and make them feel at home, you'll get a better tip.
    You go out for dinner and they serve everything for you.
    You have no idea how stressful that job can be and I bet writing software can be even more stressing, but they get more money then a waiter for sure.
    When I go to a restaurant I tip accordingly to the kindness of the waiter, not the nice taste of the food itself I allready paid for the food.

If the world stopped tipping, you wouldn't ever wanna go to a restaurant 'cuz everyone's gonna be a BITCH towards you.
    And we wouldn't want that would be?

Q~

8. thegame07

United Kingdom
    yeah people like Qpido deserve a tip i feel bad if i dont leave a waiter a tip.there jobs are not easy or anything leaving a tip is just like saying thank you to the person its been running after you lol sorry Q [​IMG]

9. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    Dude -.- It's Q...Qpido.

Q~

10. ambitous21

Member ambitous21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    "If the world stopped tipping, you wouldn't ever wanna go to a restaurant 'cuz everyone's gonna be a BITCH towards you.
    And we wouldn't want that would be?"

excuse me? you are getting paid to do the job already. if you are gonna be mean because of not getting tips, you'll get fired.
    there are lots of people who need work ya know.

11. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I used to work in a chinese all you can eat buffet as a waiter. So so job (most memorable story I can think of is a guy playing a RTS game on his laptop and dripping sauce on the keyboard... urgh). Anyways, a fair amount of people leave tips on the bill plate... but it has to be poured into a bowl in the counter (probably to get divided up). There was a local restaurant that got into trouble because they told the Polish waiters that it is the norm to give all tips they receive to the boss. Anyways, I never tip in restaurants but I sometimes do tip in hairdressers. Really, tipping is a bonus.

12. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    I get paid from my boss to get plates to the table and take orders.
    The person getting the food is paying me to be nice.

Q~

13. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    It may be nice to tip, but it never should be obligatory. After all, these waiters are getting PAID for work, it's not like they're giving us a free service or anything to act like a bitch towards us [​IMG]

QPido: if the waiter acts bad to people, the boss gets informed, and if it happens a lot, he gets fired. At least that's what happens here.

14. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    The job doesn't pay much at all.
    And you have to listen to people whine all day about how they want this and how they want that.
    You won't understand until you've worked on the busiest day of the year in one of the most populair places in town, but then you'll see how it is important that you tip a waiter.
    I think you're confusing mean with something else, because you won't be mean, just not frollicky.

But still I like my colleagues and stuff so I wouldn't wanna trade it with a different job. Until I finish college that is.

Q~

15. halljames
    OP

United Kingdom
    Bottom Line, you get paid for doing a job, if you dont like the pay, get a different job, simple as that.

16. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    I tip, and tip well. Well, as well as I can tip anyway.
    Wait staff should be paid more, tipping is an excuse for the boss to pay out less, and that sucks.
    Until it changes though, I know it's a hard job and I will help compensate for the evil norm of deliberate underpayment.

17. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    That is not the bottom line.

In America, people who have jobs that are expected to get tips get a reduced hourly wage.

For instance, minimum wage is around $5.50. Average wage is about $8.50.
    However, people in positions that will receive tips, such as waiters and valets make a reduced wage of around $3.50.

So these people actually depend on tipping as part of their salary.

So I could say to you; if you don't like tipping, get your own food. Bottom Line.

Of course one can make the argument that these people can get an education and get a real job, but that's for another thread. ;>

18. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    You guys are a bunch of morons and the most stupid bunch of retarded assholes.
    I can't speak for UK's people, because things are different over there, you get a tip if you are EXTREMELY NICE not just because you're doing your job professionally.
    In other words you have to kiss asses to get a few cents more out of your cheap salary.
    But whoever leaves in the States should very well know that every job that relyes on tip get EXTREMELY LOW wedges, furthermore waiters pay taxes on the extimated amount of tip too, because the IRS knows that you get at least 15% tip out of a bill , so they figure it out how much is your income based on the restaurant sales and taxes you automatically!
    So when some asshole comes over with the philosophy of " why should I give you a tip, you get paid already " and then I HAVE TO LOOSE MONEY after being really nice and professional I feel like shooting the bastard.
    For the record, out of my salary I get $0.00 net pay and every two weeks a shortfall of about $250-$300(for federal and state and city taxes) that sums up and I have to pay at the end of the year in one big shot of $5000 to $8000 USD.
    Our ONLY PAY is the TIP, which I say it again is taken into account at the end of the year.
    Basically, if you don't leave the TIP I work for FREE, GRATIS, FOR NADA you got it ?
    Now how could I ever be nice to you ?
    Would you be nice if you were working for FREE in a stressfull enviroment costantly under pressure ?
    I don't think so.
    By the way , I am a professional head waiter in a successfull NYC restaurant, and fortunally most people do know what they are doing over here, but the occasional cheap asshole turist always happens to come along and ruin my day, even though everybody knows how does it go in this country.
    The TIP here is a good thing because basically Wii work on a % of the total income of the restaurant.
    The more Wii work, the more money Wii make and the more Wii smile, even though this job can be very, very stressfull.
    Now if you leave somwhere else, do what is costume in your country, but when you come to the States, LEAVE THE DAMN TIP, PLEASE.

EDIT:
    Sorry, after reading a couple of comments earlier in this topic I felt kind of enraged, and I used some strong words to expess my feelings.
    Now that I cooled off I'd like to apologize for that, I didn't want to offend anybody in particular.

19. bolton2

Member bolton2 bolton2

United States
    I tip, at least 20% of the cost of the meal. in America or at least in New Jersey, waiters and waitresses only get 3dollars an hour which is 4 dollars and 15 cents under minimum wage, because they get tips. its a great way for college students to make extra money for college and for others to make money on the side. i dont know the pay scheme in the UK, but in America its common courtesy to tip the person who is serving your food to you and can spit in it if you tick them off lol which is why i never send food back either, cause i know people that work as waiters and they told me some crazy stuff they did to peoples food who ticked them off lol

20. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    Of course it's a cultural thing.

I believe in France tipping for food isn't customary, but tipping for alchohol is.

And I should point out what ARM73 said about American's paying tax on estimated tip income as it's true. We have to pay tax on our tips as well.