Hardware To Those Using Wii LAN Adapter (Datel)

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys...

OK, I'm on DSL and I don't have a router, just using a NIC. So if I were to get a Wii USB/LAN Adapter, would I be able to just install a 2nd NIC in the PC and connect that way? I wanted to do this so the PC and Wii could be connected to the net at the same time..Has anyone tried this method or does anyone know if it works?

If the cable has to go directly from the LAN Adapter to the modem, well, that's life I guess. But it'd be nicer to have it the other way.

TIA for any advice

perimbean

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
If you put in a 2nd NIC in the computer and wishes to have the the 2nd NIC to have internet connections (which is output to the wii), you may have to bridge both nics. What OS are you running? Actually a simple switch (4-ports) may solve your situation.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would agree with perimbean. A switch would make things much easier and much more efficient. Just pick up a standard one from trendnet or dlink or any cheap thing will do just fine with a Wii.

Plus, consider this. If you do Internet Connection Sharing (bridging across two network devices in Windows), you would need to have the computer on in order to have net access to the Wii in such a setup.

Currently, one connection coming from my router runs into a switch in my room with 2 computers, a 360 and a standard Xbox plugged in.

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would agree with perimbean. A switch would make things much easier and much more efficient. Just pick up a standard one from trendnet or dlink or any cheap thing will do just fine with a Wii.

Plus, consider this. If you do Internet Connection Sharing (bridging across two network devices in Windows), you would need to have the computer on in order to have net access to the Wii in such a setup.

Currently, one connection coming from my router runs into a switch in my room with 2 computers, a 360 and a standard Xbox plugged in.

well, access wouldn't be a problem since i'm a torrent-site addict so the pc is pretty much never turned off..am considering both options atm, thank you both!

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic: clocked higher of course +1