To those sending your Wiis to Nintendo or thinking about it.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by acg12xu, May 7, 2009.

1. acg12xu
    OP

Newcomer acg12xu Member

United States
    So I just received my Wii back from Nintendo to repair a brick. I know I received a refurb because it has a different serial number. I could tell the Wii was a 3.2U because I checked in the options.. or so it would appear.

The first game I tried was Zelda of course, and what I got was a frozen screen when they show you how to connect the nunchuck. I then started testing other launch games that I had and they all seemed to play fine. So after I tried all my launch games, I figured I would try a game that required an update. I loaded in Brawl and it played without prompting me to update! So I ended up trying all my games, even up to my most current, Ultimate Shooting Collection, and they all work without requiring an update; only Zelda does not work.

I just wanted to let you guys know about Nintendo's dirty little joke [​IMG] So it looks like they installed 4.0U firmware (or a FW very close) with a 3.2U mask, very tricky.

2. Apekop

Member Apekop GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    wow pwned.

3. Leeuwtje

Newcomer Leeuwtje Member

Netherlands
    even on 4.0 zelda should work normally though, just not the exploit.

4. Apekop

Member Apekop GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    leeuwtje is right

5. acg12xu
    OP

Newcomer acg12xu Member

United States
    I have a weird update. I just tried launching the Wii Shop channel and it first stated that "The Wii shop channel is not yet available in your region." and then froze at that screen. WTF? I reset the console and now it gives me a standard "There is an update to the Wii Shop Channel!" message. This all seems very weird.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to boot up Zelda without it freezing at that initial screen? I fear I'll have to update online... Or maybe I should call Nintendo and complain that Zelda doesn't work and see what they say >:D

6. Helsionium

Member Helsionium Alpha and Omega

Austria
    If you call Nintendo, they'll probably just ask you to update.
    Out of curiosity, what region have you set your Wii to? (Country & Region)

If you haven't set this, or if you set it incorrectly, the message might be normal. After all, Nintendo does not conduct business in every country.
    I have no idea why Zelda freezes, though. Do you have the Twilight Hack installed? Even if, Zelda should not freeze. Maybe IOS9 got corrupted?

7. acg12xu
    OP

Newcomer acg12xu Member

United States
    I don't have the TP Hack on my SD card at all. I could tell them that I do not have Internet access and thus I am not able to update [​IMG] As for the region setting, I didn't have to select anything but I went into the options and selected USA after I read your post. It still has the same problem with Zelda and is still saying there's an update for the Shop Channel. My Wii is definitely discriminating against Zelda and I can't believe this is a coincidence. Below are two pictures of the screen.

This first one froze when the screen was fully loaded.
    [​IMG]

And this time it froze when the screen partially loaded. You can barely make out the disclaimer.
    [​IMG]

The freezing occurs slightly different every time but always at that screen. I don't want to update officially, but it looks like I'll have to if I wanna get to the Shop Channel. Why are they messing around with this pseudo 3.2U Firmware when they could have just loaded 4.0? It doesn't make sense at all.

8. Helsionium

Austria
    I doubt it's pseudo firmware.
    Remember, udpates to IOS and System Menu are not coupled. In your case, Nintendo most likely installed the most recent versions of the IOSes (otherwise one of your discs should have prompted an update), but for whatever reason chose to stick with System Menu 3.2U. You can verify my thesis by trying to copy the original Twilight Hack over. Versions that are more recent than 3.2U will not allow this. Twilight Hack blocking is a function of the newer System Menus, not the newer IOSes.

My best guess is that your IOS9 is screwed up somehow. If you can, delete it, inserting TP should then prompt an update which will install the original version of IOS9, as it is on your disc.

Other than that, sometimes, disc-reading errors can cause a game to freeze completely (instead of showing an error message), when these errors happen right after start-up. Maybe you can check your disc for scratches or dirt?

9. Wiisel

Member Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    if they sent it to you and its not working correctly call them to exchange it for another refurb dont go doing stupid things like deleting ios unless you know what your doing and have ways to recover

10. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got my wii back from nintendo over a week ago, it was a new wii.......according to the serials.....and it had 4.0 on it. I installed a xenowii version 2 and all works well until I put my copy of zelda in. after it worked, I decided to start the internet channel and it asked me to update....which I didnt, its already updated. something strange is going on, not sure what the deal is, but I can say that I wouldnt update anymore until someone figures out whats happening with nintendo. region usa 4.0 maybe they are trying to be sneeky??

11. Helsionium

Austria
    Deleting IOS9 is in no way harmful to your Wii. You can actually safely delete all of your IOSes except the one used by the System Menu (that's certainly not IOS9)
    However, Wiisel is right, you surely can let them exchange it, but you might get a 4.0U Wii instead.

12. elfsander

Member elfsander GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Maybe your Zelda disc has gone bad?

13. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Just sent the Wii Back to Nintendo, and get another one

edit: But it does look like the problem is with your zelda disc though

14. franky86

Newcomer franky86 Advanced Member

United States
    if they sent you a console back that is not working with a major nintendo game something is messed up, intentionally or unintentionally.

first thing to do: test your zelda disk on another wii(a friends or such) to make sure its not the disk. if its not the disk then its time to contact nintendo again.

dont play with it at all yourself, dont try installing anything, updating anything, NOTHING. call them up and tell them right when you got it back, you tried to play a game and its freezing up. tell them they need to fix it. you should be able to get this done for free because clearly their last 'fix' didn't fix everything.

dont even look at it from a homebrew/hackers/pirates perspective. look at it from the average consumer's perspective. you send something in to get fixed, you get it back and its not working as it should be, you call and complain and get them to fix it properly because thats what you paid for.

15. acg12xu
    OP

Newcomer acg12xu Member

United States
    You guys are right about contacting Nintendo. I'm not going to change anything with my Wii and I'll give them a call to see what they'll do. Since most of you felt there's something wrong with my Wii, and not a trick that Ninty was playing as I had originally thought, I started popping in all 30 of my Wii games and now Okami freezes too! Now this game should definitely work considering I've taken it out of the box only once before. I'll give 'em a call today and let you guys know what's going on.

I'm not sure why people are saying to delete IOS files when I can't even run Zelda to hack the Wii in the first place... Unless there's another way to install HBC without Zelda that I'm not aware of?

afnuke: I can't believe their repair/replacement service is so inconsistent; usually companies standardize this kind of service. Did you end up contacting Ninty about your problem? Why would they load a strange 4.0 on yours and a strange 3.2 on mine? Can anyone else who has had a recent Nintendo repair weigh in?

16. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    dude, just install a copy of IOS9. Preferably the trucha signed version or even the CIOSCORP version.

EDIT: O wait, you don't have the HBC, do ya?

17. DPyro

Member DPyro GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Format the wii system memory and see if that fixes it.

18. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I wouldn't do that. I have NEVER heard of ANYTHING good happening as a result of someone using the format option. Besides, formatting doesn't touch the IOS's and wouldn't matter if the problem is his disc.

19. acg12xu
    OP

Newcomer acg12xu Member

United States
    I called Nintendo and they decided to send me a new Wii, and once received, I send back this sketchy Wii. They originally wanted me to send in only my Zelda disc, but my Wii froze twice at the System Menu options screen when I was on the phone with them.

I could have sworn all of my previous Nintendo repairs were handled directly at Nintendo HQ in Washington. This last repair was done in California at a subcontractor. Maybe this is the reason for Nintendo's recent shoddy and inconsistent repairs. As a reminder to everyone, when speaking with Nintendo, don't tell them that you use any third party hardware. The second rep I spoke to was trying to blame the problems on my SD card, she was an all around bitch tho.

20. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    ...WHAT? They're sending you a Wii, and then you ship the faulty one out!? That's... very un-Nintendo. Usually, it's the other way around.

Nintendo does have two subcontractors in the U.S.: one in New York (that kicks ass, by the way), and one in California. The closest one deals with the repairs.