Hacking to those of you who own an itouch ds.

missfabb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is the build quality really that bad or is everyone just exagerrating? i mean i dont expect it to be like made of steel, as long as it doesnt self destruct with simple everyday use then im fine, especially since ill be rarely even removing it. and some say the build quality is the same as m3real, is this true?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an iTouchDS, and while it is not the best card on the market, it does what I need it to.

Build quality isn't hard as steel, but its not flimsy like a piece of saran wrap either. The little tabs on the edge can apparently be easy to stress or break if you try to open the card. I have opened my card (will explain why in a minute) numerous times, and the plastic has not turned white from stress, nor has it broken. I just use a jewelers screwdriver carefully. Maybe the biggest annoyance is that you can feel the chip sticking out through the sticker slightly, but it doesn't make that much of a difference if you think about it.

I have had to open the card much lately because the spring mechanism in the SD slot stopped working. It got to the point where it wouldn't eject the sd card (I would have to pull it out), where the card would not stay in at all, or where I couldnt even push the card in all the way (it was getting stuck on something). However I bent a metal "clip" inside of it with the same screwdriver, and it works close to how it should now.

The firmware is a bit slow when it comes to selecting menu items, but otherwise I can't say I find much wrong with the card. I can't get real time save to work in DragonQuest V - Hand of the Heavenly Bride, but I am going to ask around and see if there is a way to fix that.

Bottom line - Cheap card, but decent build quality and does what it is supposed to. If you don't have the money for an excellent slot1 card, I would recommend this.

missfabb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
plasma dragon007 said:
I have an iTouchDS, and while it is not the best card on the market, it does what I need it to.

Build quality isn't hard as steel, but its not flimsy like a piece of saran wrap either. The little tabs on the edge can apparently be easy to stress or break if you try to open the card. I have opened my card (will explain why in a minute) numerous times, and the plastic has not turned white from stress, nor has it broken. I just use a jewelers screwdriver carefully. Maybe the biggest annoyance is that you can feel the chip sticking out through the sticker slightly, but it doesn't make that much of a difference if you think about it.

I have had to open the card much lately because the spring mechanism in the SD slot stopped working. It got to the point where it wouldn't eject the sd card (I would have to pull it out), where the card would not stay in at all, or where I couldnt even push the card in all the way (it was getting stuck on something). However I bent a metal "clip" inside of it with the same screwdriver, and it works close to how it should now.

The firmware is a bit slow when it comes to selecting menu items, but otherwise I can't say I find much wrong with the card. I can't get real time save to work in DragonQuest V - Hand of the Heavenly Bride, but I am going to ask around and see if there is a way to fix that.

Bottom line - Cheap card, but decent build quality and does what it is supposed to. If you don't have the money for an excellent slot1 card, I would recommend this.
thanks. is there any way to completely remove the spring mechanism so the micro sdcard can just go in and out, like on sd adapters or the dstt cart? i feel like thats usually the best way.

also i plan to use the sakura 1.12 firmware on it when i get mine. have you ever tried it?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
missfabb said:
thanks. is there any way to completely remove the spring mechanism so the micro sdcard can just go in and out, like on sd adapters or the dstt cart? i feel like thats usually the best way.

also i plan to use the sakura 1.12 firmware on it when i get mine. have you ever tried it?

Lemme open my card up real fast... alright. There's an extremely thin metal spring, I suppose, inside of the mechanism. I would htink that you could rip it out with tweezers if you really wanted to. I don't think that would let the SD card slide out on its own if you were to, say, turn the card upside down, but I am not sure. I like to keep it *ideally* working the way I got it, I like having the spring mechanism in there. Maybe I will end up swapping mine with my little brother's iTouchDS card XP. So yeah it looks like you could pull the spring out if you wanted to.

Sakura - I have tried it, and I loved it so much more than the iTouchDS fw. I did a dualboot that defaulted to Sakura, booted iTouchDS when you held X. Replaced the included version of iTouchDS with a newer one, but I am not sure what version either firmwares were. Only downside is that the dualboot seems to break the soft reset, which only matters if that's your kind of thing. I liked it (soft reset) but don't use it much anymore *shrug*. But the sakura FW is so much faster, so I would definitely try out a dual boot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse