To the content creators on the scene and the hackers!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by OctopusRift, May 10, 2015.

1. OctopusRift
    OP

OctopusRift GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"

Nov 19, 2014
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    I've been doing a little work here and there and I've been looking for a route to become a Reel l337 H4X0r. I've been super interested in this field (3DS Scene) and I'm looking for more that I can do! https://twitter.com/OctopusRift/status/597480827484774400 is my latest project but I need to learn LZ and Blowfish ETC and you guys are the ones to help! So, 3DS hackers, tell me where you learned, who to learn and what to do to improve my skills! Thanks a bunch!

Margen67 likes this.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    LZ is a type of compression and blowfish is an encryption/hashing algorithm and I am not sure the latter is all that useful in 3ds world (I am not aware of any implementations of it anything 3ds related). Learning bits and pieces is seldom the best way to set about things if you are new to a field.

Also are you sure you want to start on the 3ds? The 3ds is kind of modern in its approach to security and that does rather mean a fairly high barrier to entry. Equally it has not quite been blown wide open and the tools are certainly not there for it compared to older systems. If it is what is going to keep you motivated then it could be worse but I would not suggest it as a learning device.

"looking for a route"
    My usual response to this is "computing, learn it right down to the maths that underpins it". I can point you at things like https://gbatemp.net/threads/some-hacking-concepts-and-links.287721/ , http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-rom-hacking-documentation-project-new-2014-edition-out.73394/ and https://www.youtube.com/user/ChRiStIaAn008/videos but it still

3. OctopusRift
    OP

Nov 19, 2014
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    LZ is (apparently) used on PS4 and ninjhax, and otherwise THANKS SOOOO MUUCHHH!!!

Margen67 likes this.
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    The LZ family of compression is one of the most common, especially in embedded devices. My usual link of choice is https://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~ece611/LempelZiv.pdf as it also covers the other common types briefly as well. It is not particularly interesting as far as hacking things goes -- you find the object you want, find it is compressed and then figure out what implementation of the LZ algorithm it is using. All quite boring once you understand the basic ways LZ is implemented.

Margen67 and OctopusRift like this.
  5. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Blowfish is used to encrypt Cubic Ninja QRs, so it's somewhat needed for ninjhax.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. OctopusRift
    OP

Nov 19, 2014
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Yep! That's what I read! Any source on where you learned?:ha:

Margen67 likes this.
  7. Normmatt
    This message by Normmatt has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 25, 2015, Reason: real helpful, guys.
    May 11, 2015
  8. tony_2018
    This message by tony_2018 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 25, 2015, Reason: real helpful, guys.
    May 11, 2015
  9. Xenon Hacks
    This message by Xenon Hacks has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 25, 2015, Reason: real helpful, guys.
    May 11, 2015
  10. GhostLatte
    This message by GhostLatte has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 25, 2015, Reason: and how are you helping?.
    May 11, 2015
  11. Normmatt

Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

Dec 14, 2004
    New Zealand
    Anyone who can't find this sort of stuff themselves through google isn't going to get very far.

endoverend, nccom, Blebleman and 9 others like this.
  12. OctopusRift
    OP

Nov 19, 2014
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    I'm looking for stuff Google CAN'T give. Though I appreciate the sentiment!

Margen67 likes this.
  13. BobDoleOwndU

BobDoleOwndU GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 28, 2013
    Canada
    Not a 3DS hacker myself, but there's a ton of information/documentation on the 3DS at 3DBrew; that would probably be a good place to start.

Margen67 likes this.
  14. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    3DBrew really doesn't become too useful until you really delve into homebrew development or ARM9. Then it is extremely useful. So my advice would be to just start doing homebrew development to get familiar with the 3DS and then work from there. Learning lz and blowfish encryption won't do much for you, if anything I'd look into ARM assembly and C.

Margen67 likes this.
  15. Amadren

Amadren SOMEBODY ONCE

Dec 21, 2014
    France
    Paris, France
    Yop. I agree. Learn C and ARM ASM first ^^

Margen67 likes this.
  16. OctopusRift
    OP

Nov 19, 2014
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Thank you so much everyone! One last question... where can I learn C and/or ARM9/11 in a format that is interesting and applies to tasks humans can comprehend... The way I learned Java was very similar.

Margen67 likes this.
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    That varies wildly between people. Thankfully for me Java was not the first computer language I came into proper contact with so I am not sure what you might respond better to.

Personally I quite like the apress beginning ? books (every one I have read), in this case "apress beginning C" for learning C but others like other things -- I have met those that get along really well with the head first ( http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920015482.do ) books where I really do not get along with them.

For assembly in the modern world I have not found anything dedicated to ARM. For X86 (and it should teach you enough that you can convert over to ARM) I do like the art of assembly http://www.plantation-productions.com/Webster/

Once you have the basics of that down then you can look at other things. Again the 3ds is not that well documented compared to the GBA and DS so you will probably be better off looking at the reference manuals the ARM publishes. Having read a few of them now I very much doubt they were written for someone that would speak a phrase like "in a format that is interesting and applies to tasks humans can comprehend".
    Still http://blog.quirk.es/2008/12/things-you-never-wanted-to-know-about.html is worth reading and http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/asm.htm is always nice. http://www.heyrick.co.uk/assembler/ is a bit more general where the previous applied more to GBA and DS stuff but it still very good.

Margen67 likes this.
  18. OctopusRift
    OP

Nov 19, 2014
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Perfect. Abso-lutely perfect.

Margen67 likes this.
  19. Chelsea_Fantasy
    This message by Chelsea_Fantasy has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 25, 2015, Reason: why.
    May 13, 2015
  20. Chelsea_Fantasy

Chelsea_Fantasy GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 25, 2014
    Cuba
    Normmatt, not everyone haves enough free time to Google and there are things Google cannot provide

Margen67 likes this.
  21. Normmatt

Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

Dec 14, 2004
    New Zealand

If he can't teach himself stuff he'll just require someone to spoon feed him... and who wants to do that?

porkiewpyne, loco365 and Margen67 like this.
  22. Osmosis

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    [​IMG]

Instead of asking yourself "How do I become a 133T h4x0r of 3DS?" ask yourself, "How do I, the 133T h4x0r, get this damn 3DS to f***ing work!!!!???"

[​IMG]

More along the lines of reverse-engineering than hacking.

So to crack the 3DS encryption is going to take more than just breaking it. Otherwise, you'd be working for Nintendo.

And yeah, Google. It got you this far... keep going.

Margen67 likes this.
  23. Chelsea_Fantasy

Mar 25, 2014
    Cuba
    listen to me dude:
    not all the people haves broadband connection all the day at home
    I have a 5 - 20kbps connection and I must pay 5 US Dollard a our
    yes, cuban internet sucks

try to google for something on that creepy speed

he want someone that can give he a shortcut to a page

help him u *****

Margen67 and Amadren like this.
  24. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States

Dude........no one needs a broadband connection just to learn about something, they need a brain. Fuckin been using 3g connection for my laptop the entire last week and it gets the job done even if its the slowest. If your country isn't doing anything to provide you with a "faster connection" than do something about it instead of worrying about someone getting left in the dark because they don't know how to google "3ds homebrew".

25. Chelsea_Fantasy

Mar 25, 2014
    Cuba
    and some people pay EXPENSIVE services. cubans by example must pay around 5 US Dollards for ONLY 1 HOUR of internet conection

Margen67 likes this.
  26. lampdemon
    This message by lampdemon has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 25, 2015, Reason: shitpost train. Either be more helpful or dont post.
    May 20, 2015
  27. Chelsea_Fantasy
    This message by Chelsea_Fantasy has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 25, 2015, Reason: shitpost train. Either be more helpful or dont post.
    May 20, 2015