OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

This is totally outside the realm of gaming, but this is my favorite forum, so I figured I would ask anyway.
biggrin.gif

After obtaining my BBA in CIS, I am starting a new job on Monday in a fairly professional setting. The dress code is business casual, and while I have quite a few articles of clothing to wear, I want to expand my wardrobe a bit. I was curious as to what everyone else in the field wears.

I have the traditional black and khakhi (sp?) slacks and solid shirts: blue, white, and black long sleeve, but I was curious as to what else is acceptable?
What are some good color combinations for pants, shirts, shoes and ties?
Are short sleeve dress shirts and polos acceptable at most jobs?
I don't really want to wear the same colored clothing every week, so I want to mix it up a bit.

Thanks for any tips or advice.

Suppachipmunk

smellyunicorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
short white sleeve button dress shirt
Tie,
Gray or black pants.

I work in IT and this isn't over dressed nor under. Good luck

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Short sleeve dress shirts are a fashion faux-pas, but I think are accpetable, and stripes might be - same goes for polos. Just dress up normally your first day, and see what everybody else is wearing. Ties are typically necessary too.

And don't whine about selection >:(! I have to wear the same white shirt, black pants, and greyish tie every single day until I find a better job...and you probably make a ton more than I do.

suppachipmunk

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks SmellyUnicorn.

Does your company allow shirts in any color other than white?
Perhaps a white shirt with blue or green striping? Anything along those lines?
Or do they prefer strictly solid, nuetral colors?

Thanks again.
Suppachipmunk

EDIT: Thanks Monkat.
I planned on wearing the traditional black pants, white long sleeved shirt with a conservative tie on the first day and scoping out the rest of the employees. lol
Thanks for the input. greatly appreciated.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fashion or acceptable dress code (or anything to do with aesthetics for that matter) is not something we come to me to discuss but I will mention as the new boy you will be the one that gets to roll around under desks/cupboards plugging network/power/USB cables in or worse rewiring them (this time of year in well known to hire new graduates in so I assure you such jobs will be left/available to you).

By all means make a good impression as you walk through the door if that is something you want to do but know you will probably get your hands physically dirty before long (this is also means you might get 24 hours warning so if you have a good set of tools it will spare you using the office toolbox).

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
suppachipmunk said:
Hello all,

This is totally outside the realm of gaming, but this is my favorite forum, so I figured I would ask anyway.
biggrin.gif

After obtaining my BBA in CIS, I am starting a new job on Monday in a fairly professional setting. The dress code is business casual, and while I have quite a few articles of clothing to wear, I want to expand my wardrobe a bit. I was curious as to what everyone else in the field wears.

I have the traditional black and khakhi (sp?) slacks and solid shirts: blue, white, and black long sleeve, but I was curious as to what else is acceptable?
What are some good color combinations for pants, shirts, shoes and ties?
Are short sleeve dress shirts and polos acceptable at most jobs?
I don't really want to wear the same colored clothing every week, so I want to mix it up a bit.

Thanks for any tips or advice.

Suppachipmunk

Collared shirt (polo or button-down), any non-jean pant (khaki or dress) and non-sneaker footwear (flip-flops are a no-go. Sandals only work if you're feminine
tongue.gif
)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a t-shirt that looks like a tuxedo
swim trunks
flip flops with white shocks that go all the way up to your knees

jk

but I would do what WildWon said
a polo shirt, khaki pants, and some leather shoes (not ultra fancy dress ones)

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Even within the states this varies a lot depending on location. The west coast, for example, generally has looser requirements on business casual than the east coast.

suppachipmunk

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies everyone.
It is greatly appreciated.

@FAST6191, I thought that since I was the new guy, I would have to do some dirty work. lol.
I believe I will have a slight orientation and then they mentioned logging tickets for a few weeks until I get into the swing of things. Then I will be working with vendors on their Customer Care Applications.

I currently live on the East Coast.
I will try to report back with some details once I start.

-Suppachipmunk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @K3Nv2 is too dumb to assemble IKEA furniture :tpi: