The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
That is the question.....

So i was quite stoked about this game for a while now and then i forgot about it and today i realise its out this weekend....so with it being payday friday i dunno wether to go out and get the instrument bundle (i can download the game iso)

Any thoughts any one? There's something telling me its not gunna be as great as i thought but i hope im wrong...US owners, please chirp in and tell me my doubts are stupid!

Cheers!

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
jaxxster said:
Possibly...you should try checking out guitar hero...it's really fun.
Rockband is even more fun according to SpikeyNDS.
So, you'll probably love it. Wait for SpikeyNDS to reply to this topic though
laugh.gif

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it should be of no surprise to you that I would recommend this game to you completely. If you like the guitar hero series(at least GH1 and 2, 3 doesn't count), you'll love this game. The biggest difference with this game though, is that it's NOT AS MUCH FUN playing alone as it was in previous games. No, the true beauty of this game shines when you get 3 other people together and all play. You'll end up playing until your whole group is tired. But of course, sticking with one instrument while playing is not recommended. My friends and I constantly change what we are playing for the most diverse experience.

Of course if you don't have real friends to play with, there is online, which is still pretty fun, but no where near comes close. You are still playing with friends, but when you initiate an online match you are dedicated to whatever instrument you join with, kinda a bummer. Also, thanks to DLC, you can expand your library of songs tremendously adding more replayability.

Also, slight note... IMHO the Rock Band Guitar is TERRIBLE. I suggest getting the bundle then selling the guitar off for the GH3 Guitar. I wouldn't suggest the guitar from GH2 because it's... well, it's terrible too. Choose the Wireless Les Paul for the best experience.

unr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just played solo mode with guitar and it's definitely not as good as GH3. Planning to import cheaper USA gear, if nothing else, will sell it for profit.

Also, GH4 is coming this fall, so if you're short on money, wait until then.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
SpikeyNDS said:
Well, it should be of no surprise to you that I would recommend this game to you completely. If you like the guitar hero series(at least GH1 and 2, 3 doesn't count), you'll love this game. The biggest difference with this game though, is that it's NOT AS MUCH FUN playing alone as it was in previous games. No, the true beauty of this game shines when you get 3 other people together and all play. You'll end up playing until your whole group is tired. But of course, sticking with one instrument while playing is not recommended. My friends and I constantly change what we are playing for the most diverse experience.

Not entirely true, it can be fun by yourself; heck I play all the time by myself, but only to improve my skills in a particular instrument, or to enjoy newly bought DLC. Spikey is right though about having the group of people, it is a blast, and I always have tons of fun with my dad and friend -- They're all I've got to play with
tongue.gif

QUOTEAlso, slight note... IMHO the Rock Band Guitar is TERRIBLE. I suggest getting the bundle then selling the guitar off for the GH3 Guitar. I wouldn't suggest the guitar from GH2 because it's... well, it's terrible too. Choose the Wireless Les Paul for the best experience.

He's right, the Rock Band Strat is terrible, but you can make it un-terrible if you have the time and some extra cash. I bought a replacement strumming mechanism for $20 and my performance on that thing has gone up 100x, to the point where I'm getting tons of 100%'s and five gold star ratings. You can also replace the tilt mechanism with a mercury tilt sensor -- It sure as hell beats the ball bearing in a can style, as well as mod the fret buttons to be quiet when you press them, which is something I badly need to do with the orange fret -- It's the only one I can hear clacking when I press it.

My next mod on the strat will be touch-sensitive fret buttons with LED's that light up when you touch the fret.

But yes, you SHOULD Rock Band, and then add us to your friends list so we can play... as soon as you get to Hard
tongue.gif

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hankchill said:
SpikeyNDS said:

Not entirely true, it can be fun by yourself; heck I play all the time by myself, but only to improve my skills in a particular instrument, or to enjoy newly bought DLC. Spikey is right though about having the group of people, it is a blast, and I always have tons of fun with my dad and friend -- They're all I've got to play with
tongue.gif

QUOTEAlso, slight note... IMHO the Rock Band Guitar is TERRIBLE. I suggest getting the bundle then selling the guitar off for the GH3 Guitar. I wouldn't suggest the guitar from GH2 because it's... well, it's terrible too. Choose the Wireless Les Paul for the best experience.

He's right, the Rock Band Strat is terrible, but you can make it un-terrible if you have the time and some extra cash. I bought a replacement strumming mechanism for $20 and my performance on that thing has gone up 100x, to the point where I'm getting tons of 100%'s and five gold star ratings. You can also replace the tilt mechanism with a mercury tilt sensor -- It sure as hell beats the ball bearing in a can style, as well as mod the fret buttons to be quiet when you press them, which is something I badly need to do with the orange fret -- It's the only one I can hear clacking when I press it.

My next mod on the strat will be touch-sensitive fret buttons with LED's that light up when you touch the fret.

But yes, you SHOULD Rock Band, and then add us to your friends list so we can play... as soon as you get to Hard
tongue.gif
I said not AS MUCH fun. It's still fun, but I don't think I enjoy it as much as I did playing solo on GH1/2. I suppose it could just be something that happened with time or something... but yeah, the only time I usually play alone now is when I grab some new songs. And while I could practice to get better, I generally don't. And I won't get into really start getting good at the drums(and maybe singing) until I move. Neighbors complain about the drum banging, and I suppose if my voice lasted long enough they'd complain about my "singing" too.
tongue.gif

But indeed, get the game and add us.
smile.gif

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
mikilol said:
Dont get rockband, Guitar hero world tour wil be way bether than rockband

We don't know that just yet, but I believe it will be a serious competitor if Harmonix doesn't do something to keep itself above Guitar Hero. If Activision's boasts are true then HMX will have a rough time keeping up. Just seeing them say they're getting bands like Linkin Park or Van Halen, and Rock Band spewing crap like Mother Hips, HMX is gonna crash.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hankchill said:
mikilol said:
Dont get rockband, Guitar hero world tour wil be way bether than rockband

We don't know that just yet, but I believe it will be a serious competitor if Harmonix doesn't do something to keep itself above Guitar Hero. If Activision's boasts are true then HMX will have a rough time keeping up. Just seeing them say they're getting bands like Linkin Park or Van Halen, and Rock Band spewing crap like Mother Hips, HMX is gonna crash.
Not to mention the peripherals that come with Rock Band are subpar at best. Red Octane make a good peripheral, I give them that(when it comes working).

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I got GH3 bundle + extra controller and planning to get Rock Band solely for Guitar+Bass co-op with my girlfriend. I think it'll be good enough even without drum+mic.

When I tried GH3 at Futureshop I sucked crap so I avoided until recently. (I got some cash thanks to GTA4 chasing all the games away)
I was quite disappointed that on the third day I got a 4 star on my first try at an Expert song. So unless I plan to FC or Gold Star all songs on all difficulties, this game wouldn't last long enough to justify almost $200.

So I decided to get Rock Band. I have like 3/4 of Hard songs 5 starred on GH3 so won't be long before I try it. (Also heard you can unlock Easy/Normal/Hard achievements by playing Expert, that's great.)

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jaxxster said:
lets hope that guitar hero 4 works with these controllers!

Well Red Octane refused to support Rock Band Guitar unless Harmonix pay some fee or something.

It'd be interesting to see if GH4 peripherials will be compatible with RB and vice versa.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i got the rockband guitar and indeed it wont work with guitar hero 3.
but the guitar hero guitar works fine in rockband.
i'm getting sick of this 'war' against these companies. seems only harmonix is the adult one here.

but now EA decided to release rockband only in great britain/france/germany
so i had to import the drum kit from amazon.co.uk
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a