To record high quality video from a console game t

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Gaisuto, Apr 10, 2007.

Apr 10, 2007
  1. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    What kind of thing does your Video Card need? Mine has S Cable and another slot I'm not entirely sure what it's used for. I know I've seen it before at my school's helpdesk but off the top of my head I can't think of it.

Is one of those two okay for video recording or do you need a special slot?

I know SSJ Zac here knows how to do it, I've seen some of his Youtube videos (Unless it just happens to be a different SSJ Zac with the same name...)

[​IMG]
    The white thing I'm talking about is shown in this picture. It's not the exact same card I have, but the slots are the same, Montor, S-Video, and the other one I'm confused by.

2. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    I do remembering hearing you need a pretty strong PC to stream video data from one another.
    So make sure you have that before trying this.

Q~

3. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    3GHz Dual Processors with a GB of RAM. Is that decent enough? =P

4. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    All mainstream video cards only have video out - you could pay a bit more for one that integrates a video in function, or just buy a tv capture card. (the other plug is probably DVI btw - just the new digital output format)

5. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Look for a program called FRAPS, it's a frames-per-second monitor for PC games that also has an in-game video capture mode, though I don't know how good it is because I never used the video capture mode.

At any rate, it's worth a look.

EDIT: Oh wait......you want one for a console.....er.......maybe a DVD recorder and you could input the video into it, burn it to a DVD and then use something like VideoRedo to turn it into an mpeg to upload to YouTube or something.....otherwise, for a console, I don't know. Using the DVD recorder and VideoRedo method would work, I've done it before.

6. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    TV Tuners I checked out. Are USB ones any good, because I don't really feel like going for another card just for that feature.

Also, if they can't record, what's the point of a S-Video output? I have a little gadget thing for my game consoles where all the RCA cables go, but it has an S-Video Output. If it can't be used to record or anything then what the hell is it's purpose?

7. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Multi-monitor support.....and in the case of S-video out, support for a TV. Many ATI cards with both types of computer video output connectors can span video across two screens. But if you try to use S-video out AND the PC connectors, your refresh rate will be locked at 60hz (or 50hz if your from Europe). If your video card has VIVO functions (VIVO means Video In Video Out), then you CAN record with it using ATI's Multimedia center, though I've never actually done it.

8. shaffaaf27

Member shaffaaf27 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    from left to right, those ports are:

S-video, DVI, VGA

9. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    If you want to get a USB one, i suggest you don't use that screen to acutally PLAY off of, connect your console to your TV and USB capture card (via y-splitter cable, like 5 bux) You can get good quality video from them, just what your recording is like something that happened about 2 seconds ago (a long time) so you need to adjust yourself to a little time shift.

And when you say "high quality" do you mean HD (1080p, 1080i, or 720p) (note: 720p is also known as progressive scan) or SD?

10. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    I don't mean HD, I just mean to the point where you can see anything. And I can get something that works for just $5, or am I misunderstanding you?

11. Bowser128

Member Bowser128 King Koopa

United Kingdom
    The worst USB capture cards provide youtube quality output, so far from good, but still visible.

12. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Better than Youtube...but not Whoamg you can see every little grass strand.

13. imgod22222

United States
    no, you are not understanding me. I was saying the y splitter is like 5 bux. The USB capture card (that i use) was $80 for me, the ADStech DVD Xpress DX2. I only capture from analog sources (VCR) so i dont know 'exactly' how good (its video quality) it is, but since it captures in MPEG-2, file sizes are blindingly large (like 1.5-2GB per half hour episode) I use multiple 'professional' video editing programs to get the desired compression (very lossy, however great quality) and i can shrink it from 2GB to about 250MB using a similar DivX codec. Also: adstech makes IMO very bad drivers, etc because after like 2 hours of straight recording it decides to freeze the capture wizard. But, eh.

14. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Is there anything decent that doesn't cost any more than $40, because I really need to save up my money for Jacon...

15. Bowser128

Member Bowser128 King Koopa

United Kingdom

Your best bet is probably just buying a generic one from eBay.

16. imgod22222

United States
    and that isn't a really good bet..
    Generic ones often have bad video quality.