Question To Link or Unlink my Nintendo ID, I don't understand.

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by AcuRaw, Sep 15, 2018.

1. AcuRaw
    OP

AcuRaw Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2012
    United States
    Nintendo says after 9/18/2018 I will NOT be able to unlink my Nintendo ID from my hacked switch. Is that good or bad? I have a lot of digital game purchases on my Nintendo ID. I plan one day to buy a new "unhacked" switch and play my legit games on there. So if I "unlink" my hacked switch now, my Nintendo ID will be safe to add to a new console? Am I understanding this correctly?

What do I do with my "hacked" switch, create a new Nintendo User ID for it?

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Again, why make a new thread just because someone didn't answer your question in an hour...Anyways, I'll just copy and paste my response from the Noobs Paradise:

3. AcuRaw
    OP

AcuRaw Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2012
    United States
    I believe you have this wrong. You keep saying "console" However Nintendo says:

"After installing the system update planned for September 18th, 2018 (Tuesday) at 5pm Pacific Time, it will no longer be possible to unlink your Nintendo Account from your Nintendo Switch User"

That's the question I'm having a problem with. Can I simply log out of my hacked Switch and log in to a new "unhacked" Switch with my Current USER that's linked to my Nintendo Account with all my Legit Game purchases?

4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    First, I highly doubt Nintendo would stop at unlinking Nintendo Accounts from Users as there are legitimate situations where unlinking is necessary such as the console being stolen, lost, or sold to someone else.

Secondly, Users are tied to the console not the Nintendo Account; Users are not universal, Nintendo Accounts are. Admittedly Nintendo was backwards in their implementation by forcing the console be tied to Users and not Nintendo Accounts. Because of this, all of the save data from the console's perspective is tied to the User while the purchases are tied to Nintendo Account. Even if you were to hypothetically make an identical User with the same Nintendo Account, everything will not "magically" transfer over because of how the system works. This is why you must unlink them first. Your alternative would be to transfer the User and associated Nintendo Account to the new console which you can do so by following this tutorial: https://en-americas-support.nintend...id/27394/~/how-to-transfer-user-and-save-data

godreborn likes this.
  5. AcuRaw
    OP

AcuRaw Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2012
    United States
    Thank you for the quick reply.

So then my final question is, if I plan to use my Nintendo Account on a new system, I must unlink my Nintendo Account now (before 9/18/2018) from my current banned Switch. Buy the new system and create a new User for that console and link my Nintendo Account to that new User?

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Correct. There is still plenty of time to unlink the Nintendo Account whether from your console or via Nintendo's Support Line but it must be unlinked in the next 3 days.

7. Josephvb10

Josephvb10 I like Pokémon

Aug 26, 2009
    Costa Rica
    You can still unlink the account from your console after 9/18.

8. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm confused. maybe it's mentioned somewhere, but do you have to unlink your account in order to do a system transfer?

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If you clicked on the link I provided, it'll explain that you can only transfer a User with a linked account; you cannot transfer unlinked Users. Also just to further clarify, you cannot transfer Nintendo Accounts as those are not tied to consoles, at least directly; they are tied to the User profiles they are linked to (which is part of the poor design of the Switch but I digress).

godreborn likes this.
  10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    thanks. I skimmed over the instructions, yes, but I must've skimmed over that one. lol