To celebrate Minecraft's 10th anniversary, you can play Minecraft Classic for free in your browser

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 8, 2019.

Front-page
    MinecraftClassicScreenshot.

Minecraft has changed a lot from its original release, which was almost 10 years ago. If you yearn for those days back when Minecraft was still in "alpha" form, then you can take a journey to 2009, by playing that first version of Minecraft in your browser. Mojang has released Minecraft Classic for free, allowing players to have the exact experience that Minecraft offered a decade ago, bugs, glitches and all. There are only 32 blocks to use, and there are no enemies, but you can run around the game world and build with up to 9 of your friends. If you want to try it out, click on the source link below.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (56 replies)
  1. Brayton

Brayton GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2016
    United States
    Nice! Great job, and if you see this, thank you Chary!

2. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    Huh, that's neat. I don't even have Minecraft on PC. lol

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  3. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I just can't play this as I'm a graphics whore:lol:

air2004 and Mr. Looigi like this.
  4. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    Nice, cool to see them giving away a freebie. Especially one that I've been hearing a lot of my friends who play Minecraft say they've missed.

5. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    I heard NOTCH wasn't invited at 10th anniversary Minecon (is this correct? minecon??)

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  6. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Microsoft didn't invite him due to "his comments and opinions"

7. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    This build is basically a Lego sim, but still could be pretty fun to play with a large group of people

At some point you get all the resources in the full game, and it becomes a Lego sim anyway - cut out the middle man ;)

CoolStarDood and Mr. Looigi like this.
  8. NoNAND

NoNAND Never breathes.

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    My existential nightmare..
    thanks Chary!
    I'll check this out right away.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  9. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    honestly minecraft has a more appealing look than most muddy triple a games

10. smileyhead

smileyhead Yes.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    Wait what? I remember playing this back in the day, when Minecraft Java was in Beta (or Alpha? IDK, it was a long time ago). It was free and playable in a browser, just like now. Did they unpublish it?

Last edited by smileyhead, May 8, 2019
    MeAndHax, Ryccardo, Kubez and 2 others like this.
  11. AdenTheThird

AdenTheThird GBATemp's official Weedle fanatic!

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    Route 2
    No more Pocket Edition for me!

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I barely tried out Minecraft Classic way back when, because by then Minecraft Alpha was out with a lot more stuff (though in multiplayer it was similar to Classic at the time; lots of broken features, no mobs for one), but the site for Minecraft Classic was still up and I seem to distinctly remember it being free.
    I'm pretty sure it was always free. Although the site for it may have no longer existed, there's nothing stopping someone from mirroring the files.
    Honestly, they didn't miss much. You can get pretty much the same experience in modern Java Minecraft by pregenerating a world with a limited size and setting it to creative mode. Man, never thought I would be saying "modern" and "Java" in the same sentence.
    Indeed. That was Minecraft Classic.
    Current Minecraft (even when it was in alpha) wouldn't run from a browser due to the dependency on external native libraries (mainly LWJGL)
    Those aren't allowed in applets. Trust me, I tried.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, May 8, 2019
    CoolStarDood likes this.
  13. SonowRaevius

SonowRaevius GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2013
    United States
    Oh boy an even more bare-bones version of a game that is bare-boned as hell for free!

Minecraft to this day is an overrated game that is the pure embodiment of actual indie trash. Just low-effort work that sold millions because people over-hyped it.

It was boring at release and it is still boring to this day.

14. Gangu

Gangu Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2019
    Canada
    this is nice and all, but i don't really find it too special when they used to offer this for free in-browser way back then anyway... just feels like something they saw in the archives and decided "screw it"

15. jupitteer

jupitteer idk what i'm doing

Feb 17, 2017
    Antarctica
    Subcon
    I don't think you've played the game to any significant extent if you think that.

16. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    Yeah, because he wrote homophobic, transphobic and racist posts on his twitter account.

17. FoxMcloud5655

FoxMcloud5655 GBATemp Developer

Nov 16, 2015
    United States
    Cornaria
    While it may be, it's still nice to have it available. It's fun in it's own quirky way.
    Why do you say that? I've had many hours of enjoyment from the game. Granted, most of the time (90%) I do play with mods which do help make the game more interesting (and I've even made my own mod), but it's never felt truly boring until the "end" of the game.

medoli900 and CoolStarDood like this.
  18. CoolStarDood

CoolStarDood GBAtemp Regular

Feb 8, 2018
    United States
    Everywhere and nowwhere at the same time o__0
    Well IIRC the only reason they took the old one down was because new browsers didnt support it anymore, so they had to put in SOME work

Pipistrele, FoxMcloud5655 and x65943 like this.
  19. SonowRaevius

SonowRaevius GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2013
    United States
    Hmm, and what would be a good length of time? 100 hours? 1000? I am legitimately asking because I have heard this excuse before when talking about the game. I check in on it whenever there is a "huge" update and all I see is the same game but with a few new things added that don't really make the game any better, it hasn't gotten any more exciting than it has since they introduced the ender dragon, and even that added very minimal excitement. It's pretty much lego's with a very small bit of rpg/adventure elements thrown in.

This is pretty much what everyone else I know does as well who plays it regularly, but still claim it's great.

At that point it is a totally different game, so you really can't say Minecraft itself is great (or any game for that matter) if you have to mod to make it any fun.

Most I can say is at least they don't charge $60 for it.