Question To beat a dead horse or to bring back the dead?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Aether Lion, May 11, 2016.

1. Aether Lion
    OP

Aether Lion GBATemp's Pet Lion

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Penisylvania
    Okay, now that I have your attention with the coolest thread name ever, I have a question that's bothered me forever.
    So, people on here will complain that others are making a thread that's already been done before...a lot.
    However, there are also people that complain about necro-posting.
    So, I'm going to make a totally fake situation with totally fake information, just to give an example. The overall premise is an actual issue I've run into multiple times within the past week alone.​

FAKE SITUATION: So, I am wondering what 3DS emulation is currently like today. I use a New 3DS. There are updates often being made to 3DS emulation, y'know? So, I go to type in "N3DS Emulation" (and also attempt some variants, but not with much success) and I check "Thread titles only" so I don't get 10292043084 results. So, I've found 18 threads of the same stuff, right? Now, the problem is that the last thread was commented on 8 and a half months ago. A lot can happen in 8 and a half months, right?
    So, should I comment on that (necro-post) and start a new conversation on that thread to get the latest info? Or should I start a new thread pretty much asking the same question (And deal with the 200 Keyboard Warriors that remind me that there are 18 threads already on it, even though they don't know they are all outdated asf)?​

It's a debate that bothers me.
    Which is considered worse?
    Necro-posting VS Creating a thread that's already been done a lot but is outdated?
    Which is the better course of action? Is there some 3rd "God-Option" that I can't think of?​

TotalInsanity4 likes this.

2. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    No offence, but why do you keep making stupid threads like these? Posting stuff like this in the EOF is fine, but in Site Suggestions?! You're just asking for a suspension at this point. Oh, and I guess I would choose creating a new thread, since you're more likely to get answers that way.

3. Aether Lion
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Penisylvania
    I don't mean to spam, that's my apologies.
    But I put this here because this is where it belongs?
    If it is some issue of spam/post count, please delete this after it's been answered to reduce the post count.

4. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    It's a legit question. Whether to necropost or to ask questions that have already been asked.

5. GalladeGuy

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    I know, I was just saying it doesn't really belong in this section.

6. Aether Lion
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Penisylvania
    I mean, it's a question about the website as a whole. So yeah, I'd assume it goes in "Site Discussion".

Sicklyboy likes this.
  7. GalladeGuy

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Whatever. Let's just stop talking about this. :P

8. Aether Lion
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Penisylvania
    Haha agreed. :ha: I do appreciate you answering the question though.

GalladeGuy likes this.
  9. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    I'm sure necroposting is okay if you have something useful to add to the discussion, e.g bugs, errors, fixes, new builds, etc.

Just read every thread you could find and if the answer still isn't there, ask in that noob paradise thread or make a thread and include in the hread that you've read all of the 18 threads listed and include the names of the threads you've read tomlessen the chances of getting attacked.

Tomato Hentai and Aether Lion like this.
  10. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Either way you flip the coin, people will castrate you for your actions.
    "WHY'D YOU POST TO A THREAD THAT HASN'T BEEN TOUCHED IN A MONTH?"
    "WHY'D YOU CREATE A THREAD ABOUT AN UNCOMMON QUESTION?"
    I was told that I should probably make a new thread to learn how to compile 3DS homebrew, but I don't want 700 people in a 6th world country to run after me with a pitchfork.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  11. Aether Lion
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Penisylvania
    That's good info, thank you @nxwing ! <3
    See? That's the problem.
    I feel like this issue should be given a lot of attention. Possibly a rule that you can't harass people who make a new thread? If there already is one (that's up-to-date), they should be kindly linked to it or something. People who break that rule (the harassing, that is) should just be suspended for a week. That's that.

Ammako, nxwing and TheGrayShow1467 like this.
  12. Dorimori

Dorimori professional lurker

Mar 17, 2016
    United States
    possibly in your closet
    That's... really harsh.

Aether Lion likes this.
  13. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    The way I see it, and I think a lot of other staff see it too, is:

If you're necro-bumping a thread to ask a question, you would probably be better off just starting a new thread.
    If you're necro-bumping a thread to add new, beneficial information to a topic, you may be in fact better off bumping the thread, as it helps to keep all relevant discussion contained in one place.
    --Now, that can really be seen two ways though. Say, there's an 8 month old thread about a homebrew SNES emulator. If you are posting because you changed the sourcecode to fix a typo in a menu of the emulator, probably just post in the thread as that's a minor change.
    ---But if you're posting because you made MAJOR changes that fixed the dozens of games that would crash at boot, you very well may want to start your own thread, as you've kind of forked the project at that point. If you wanted, I'd even say ask us for our blessing for you to bump the old thread with a note pointing newcomers to your own for that scenario.

If you're bumping a dead thread to just say utterly inane, useless shit, your posts will get removed, the thread possibly locked, and if you're really getting out of hand you'll be warned and/or suspended. Bumping a thread with genuinely useful information is not really frowned upon. But for posting a question, you will get more exposure in a new thread that is not weighted down by pages and pages of outdated discussions and may be doing yourself a disservice by trying to keep it combined into a dead thread.

14. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I believe he means this doesn't go here since it's not related to a general discussion/off topic but whatever. It's a moderators call lol.

But on topic:

Necro Posting. By far the worst if done excessively amounts of times...

I once did this on a forum in 2013. Did not go as well lol.

15. Aether Lion
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Penisylvania
    Well, I mean I thought up that idea in like 2 seconds so it isn't perfect. xD
    I mean someone like p1ngpong would have a blast with the rule I made. :tpi::wink:

Sweet! Thank you for the response.
    So what about noobs who ask a question they did the research on and get harassed by a bunch of flame-spewing baboons that they "didn't"?
    I mean do you just click "report" on all of those posts? Or is there some way to prevent these people from appearing in the first place?
    I feel awful seeing shy members being attacked by some of the uh... very abrasive... people I've seen on here, just for asking a simple question that could be answered in one sentence but instead get a yacht-full of "Well if you weren't a shitty user."
    Also, I think the info you just shared here should be stickied/pinned so everyone has something to reference. It lets us know what the mods think of Necro-posting vs Thread making

Lol. Thanks for sharing. :P

Ammako and petethepug like this.
  16. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Well...

1. The rules are presented to you when you sign up. They are not shoved in your face, but they are very conveniently linked.
    2. Anyone who ever uses a forum, ever, pretty much universally knows to not bump ancient threads. Those who are too young will eventually learn.
    3. Yes, just report it.

GalladeGuy and Aether Lion like this.
  17. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    You do realize I am 15 correct?
    :p1ng:

Last edited by petethepug, May 11, 2016
  18. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    The problem is that the fools who inhabit the Nintendo sections will bitch and complain about every letter posted.
    Be it a legit question or an update about Smea passing a big fart.
    Those people will turn hostile no matter what you post, derailing a thread before you've snapped your fingers.

If those idiots would stop flaming then others would be able to post relevant information in said thread.
    Instead of having to go through 10 pages of spam saying "been posted before" and other light insults.

Then again, one central thread with a FAQ in 3DS hacking/Wii U hacking etc stating the current progress on the consoles with some links on further information would be very welcomed.
    Atleast, one that's so easy, a 3 year old could understand it.
    Preferrably, with a big red tag saying "READ FIRST"

As for necrobumping vs thread posting.
    Necrobumping is really annoying, you'll be reading through countless of pages before finally getting an answer.

19. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    This guy again, stop posting stupid things please

20. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    So? Im 15 too and I follow the rules (most of the time that is :rofl2:)

DinohScene likes this.