Hacking To all savvy Wii hackers: Tell me your story :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jampe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm studying digital design, and my bachelor is just around the corner.
My area is Wii hacking and the communities that revolve around it.

I'd very much like to get a proper interview with one of you guys (perhaps on IRC) to get your thoughts on the subject.
But if you don't feel like you're up for it, I've formulated a questionnaire below.
Getting some answers from that would be very helpful too
smile.gif

If you'd like to help me out, you can PM me your answers or just reply here.
To those of you who do, thank you very much in advance.

QUOTE said:
Why are you using this particular community?

How much are you using it (roughly)?

What do you think of this tendency, hacking systems even though it’s discouraged by the producer?

In which way does it appeal to you to be a part of the development of these hacks?

The hacker ethic’s hands-on imperative says that everything should be hackable, and if the law prohibits it, the ends justify the means. What do you think?

What are your thoughts on hacker communities in general?

Which experience relevant to Wii hacking do you have?

What kinds of Wii hacks do you enjoy the most?

The Wii is the most hacked gaming console yet. Why do you think that is?

Do you have any supplementary thoughts on the subject of hacking?

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jampe said:

Xflak invited me

Not much really

What do you think of this tendency, hacking systems even though it’s discouraged by the producer?

People like to hack and test few things for the benefit of others, it was never a goal to encourage people to do piracy.

In which way does it appeal to you to be a part of the development of these hacks?

When I was young yeah, nowadays I don't have too much spare time.

The hacker ethic’s hands-on imperative says that everything should be hackable, and if the law prohibits it, the ends justify the means. What do you think?

Always remember people are free to hack things as long as they respect the privacy or well being of others.

I like it

I saw a Cow Dancing on a Pole

Videos and emulation

The Wii Hardware wasn't complex and had a few bugs and people with enough knowledge could run codes or exploits more easily to install Homebrew and many other things.

Not really

If you like Modmii remember to Donate.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Interesting people and very helpful.

everyday. i usually check back a few times.

if you make something and sell it to me, its MINE. i can do whatever i want with my stuff. are they upset if i break it? no of course not. i take the risk to hack my machine, i reap the benefits.

i like to experiment. i am trying to get into c++.

my machine, i will do what i want.

been doing this since 1989.

expert on the inner workings, but not a coder.

nand emulation. i have been an emulation fan since the ultrahle days. it still impresses me when new emulators come out. its very complicated to write software that completes every function of another system.

Nintendo fucked up. instead of giving us Gamecube 1.5 they should have made a real system. they got greedy. i think they used such low end hardware to save money and they made huge profits from that. but you use low quality shit and you get what you deserve.

I wish i knew how to code. probably a good idea to go to school for it, but im not one for structured learning.

jampe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
VashTS said:
I wish i knew how to code.

Go here and start from the beginning.
It's very easy reading, and they use some understandable, small projects along the way.

And thanks for your answers, very helpful indeed
smile.gif

hunnymonster

Trophies
XP
Country

It's convenient

As & when I need to

If I have a table with 3 legs, I make a 4th leg to get the best out of it.

The feeling you get when you "stick it to the man" is great
smile.gif

Then the law is an ass. Instead of going after small time hackers who repurpose their own bought equipment, try catching drug dealers, corrupt politicians & terrorists. Oh sorry is that too hard for them?

If they can do something to improve my life then great.

I'm an electronic engineer, I reverse engineered several DVD player ROMs to discover the multiregion hacks about 10 years ago...

For me - the ability to load a game from either a backup disc or a hard drive is a big saver on my pocket - with a child in charge of loading his own games and a dog, scratched discs are never far away...

More Wiis sold - leads to a bigger attack surface, more people trying to attack it so more chance of inroads being detected.

I've seen several innovations in the hacking community - friends have commented on the improved user experience using my Wii loading games from a HDD instead of hunting through a pile of discs... You know, Nintendo might learn something from what their customers are prepared to do to make it better... but then again probably not.

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It is the best thing to come to the Wii.

Occasionally.
What do you think of this tendency, hacking systems even though it’s discouraged by the producer? It`s illegal to run 3rd party software on a system from a company. But what I do look at is the fact that many intelligent/under looked people can come out of the blue and end up being promising software/hardware pro`s for said system
wink.gif

Well I`ve personally never tried to do anything but I`ll like to one day for Wii. I am sure the feeling of getting meat ridden is fun.

Well I payed for the console, so am I not allowed to do anything to it?
There are the ones that are really cool to the community then there are the ones that uses their power for manipulation. Well this sort of thing happens everywhere, not only in the hacking community.
None, as of yet.
File replacement in games, loading backups from a hard drive or DvD without the need of opening up the console.

Because the Wii was the easiest out of all the three current generation consoles and that Nintendo strives to over come this community. But most people always like challenges so the community always resume to reverse engineer what Big N has done.
For the Wii not really. But the subject of Wii hacking has made a huge step such as emulating the NAND to make it virtually impossible to brick a Wii.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Strange...I'd thought more ppl would have filled in the questionnaire by now. But perhaps that has to do with the title. I must admit I don't fancy myself a "wii hacker". At best, I'd say I'm a script kiddy. But to be honest, I just go with "user" (I haven't coded or even compiled anything...I just go with what's available).

It's well possible this makes the rest of the post null and void, but hey...I can just as well answer.
smile.gif

Erm...I don't fancy the word "using" in this sentence. A community is made of people, so I prefer "visiting" instead of using (communities work best if you encourage everyone to do something).
That aside: I come here mostly because a good deal of the people tend to know what they're talking about without getting overly technical.

I come check it out about everyday. Mostly in the hope of getting to know some interesting stuff...but it's nice to read (and reply) as well.
smile.gif

In essence, it's simple: I bought the product, so it's mine. As such, I can do whatever the hell I want with it.
Keep in mind that you have to separate "hacking" from "pirating" here. With pirating, you haven't bought the product, so that freedom to "do whatever the hell I want with it" doesn't apply there.
However...I can't deny that hacking makes pirating easier (and may often be the whole reasoning behind the interest in hacking).

As such, I can understand nintendo's position on "hacking". I like to think their main concern is pirating, but when I hear that people tend to send back the wii's they fried themselves, I can't but conclude that they don't like people messing with their product either.

As mentioned before, I'm not part of the development. At best, I point out to people how to use certain hacks other have made.
smile.gif

I believe in user's rights and responsibilities. If you buy a product (any product), it's yours to do with it what you please. Let's say you buy a bread. You usually get a sack to go with it. If the law then said that it was illegal to use that sack to pack anything other than the original bread in it...would you obey it? Of course not: you bought for the bread and the sack, so it's your right to use it how you want.
Or take guns: they're legal in quite some countries, yet shooting other people or their properties isn't (which, incidentally, leaves them kinda useless).

But to get back at hacking (of the wii): in this case, the law itself is there for a reason. It exists to give gaming companies the chance to actually make some money with the games they make.

So here I am again with that difference between hacking and pirating: the hacking itself shouldn't be illegal (though it is just as valid as a reason to void your warranty as, say, give your wii a sponge bath). If every wii in existance got hacked (and not pirated), the sales of wii's and games would be exactly the same. Which would leave the law in itself useless. But like I said before: hacking and pirating are hard to distinguish, so hacking may always remain on the rather shady side of the law.

I don't know much hacker communities. I'm not even sure if this is a hacker community to begin with (I think the majority of the visitors here just have enough basics to pirate successfully). But what I can see...
To take it roughly: there are smart people (a select few that know just about everything), decent people (that may know a good deal about some areas, or a bit about everything) and everyone else (script kiddies, newbies or guys without any knowledge whatsoever). Now...with the complexity of the issue at hand, the "everyone else" group is most likely not going to code their own cIOS (that includes me
cry.gif
). They tend to be the most enthusiast about things, though. Which is kinda obvious: because we're not hindered by knowledge, we can safely ignore any kind of work, hardware restrictions, knowledge, inquiry, testing, whatever...a certain idea has.
The people with more knowledge (of course) tend to ignore this, and work on their own projects. And because these projects tend to be long and hard work, teams may be formed, code may be exchanged and work may be continued by others when the first author quits.

This usually tends to go well (eg. Dacotaco is doing a good job of maintaining priiloader...originally the work crediar's preloader). However...there have been some heated discussions about things like anti-piracy (riivolution) or source code (make your way through this thread and judge for yourself). These things happen as well. Hard to say to which degree these arguments are normal...but I doubt they're isolated ones.

I hacked my own wii (softmod). That's it. Compared to some others, I may have fingled with a bit more homebrew than the 'average' user, but all in all, it's pretty much zero.

I use wiiflow (an USB loader) the most. But considering that is 'just' a homebrew, I'd go with priiloader.
(okay, and to those that really want to get technical: that probably isn't a hack either, so I have to go with bannerbomb)

It is? Wow...I read in a Dutch gaming magazine about the hacks of the Ds. It said that they (nintendo) weren't too concerned about the wii at that time, but that the sales of the Ds games was really swindling because of piracy. In addition, the one other guy I know isn't interested in hacking his wii, and the two others I know that thought about buying a wii weren't going to hack it to begin with.

But anyway...if it is the most hacked one, I'd say it is because it's the most popular console. Which, in turn, may have something to do with the price of one being lower than either an xbox360 or PS3 (of which I hear they're harder to crack).
All in all, a hacked wii gives you the potential of the most games for the least money.

I'd like to point out that hacking gets depicted as something negative or shady. Without reason, if you ask me. Hacking tends to improve what is already there. The wii always had the potential of being a multimedia player, allow amateur programmers to write their own piece of software, or load games from USB rather than from DVD. Nintendo overlooked its potential...so why are we to blame to actually make use of it?

jampe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow. This suddenly caught on.

I absolutely love that you took the time to be so specific, Wever, it's exactly that kind of well thought out response I was hoping for.
All your responses are very helpful, though.
Some of my presumptions were confirmed, and some new information came to the table, which is just perfect.

Thanks a lot, you guys
smile.gif

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:

Because here they know what they are doing.

To much

Nothing since I do not care....

Its new and adventurous, its yeah it feels good to do something else than playing games.

sorry I do not understand some of this words sorry.

They should be stopped

Its to easy to hack

Wtaching covers in my usb loader

Bacause they don´t know

In fact it should be stopped. I am against piracy, though I am a pirate. That still buys games.

Baker_Au

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Utilitarian reasons - it's here, it's large, and it's in English. It serves my needs.

Not too often.

You're always going to get a biased answer on a board such as this. I think that it is indicative of the population at large - you will always get a number of people who want to modify their cars, a number of people who want to have fancy Christmas lights on the outside of their house, and you'll always have a number of people who are not happy with a console just doing what it does out of the box.

The manufacturer will always discourage this, just as BMW tell you that aftermarket parts are not needed, are dangerous, and not good for your car.

I haven't been too involved in the Wii hacking scene, generally I tended to get out of the development scene around the Xbox (original) days. The main appeal was trying something new, the challenge of getting more out of a machine than it was originally designed for.

Generally speaking the law is not intended to get the true creators and users of homebrew, and even to an extent the home piracy scene. The issue is aimed at the large amount of money that can be made by exploiting the developments for commercial means - modchips, piracy, flashcards, jailbreaks, and the likes. There is money to be made selling these things to non-technical people, and there is also a lot of links between the (large scale/wholesale) sales and organised crime (like drugs, but with lesser risks).

They're not what they used to be. Back in the old days people released things for the sake of release, now it seems that every release has a "Donate" button on it, which also has the potential legal ramifications (discussed in the previous question response). This has even led to some users/minor hackers (writing associated guides/Windows script based programs, relying on others work) trying to sell bonus features for "donations"!

Don't get me wrong - hacker groups have always called for help with costs, but it was object based - i.e. we need to purchase this bit of hardware, please help with the costs, and the donations closed off once the required amount was reached. Now the "donations" are requested and accepted without aim or reason, which points to greed and commercialism - something that is against the (original) ethos of the communities.

Electrical/Mechanical/Industrial engineering, with a strong electronics and IT background.

To be honest, these days it's about what makes my life easier (with kids etc.). Projects such as WiiFlow are of a commercial grade of software, and make the Wii easier and more friendly to play.

I do not agree with that. I would say that the Xbox was the most hacked console - the reasons being mainly around the familiar structure, ease of programming, standardised hardware (easy to write for), and the power of the hardware (speedy processor, built in internal storage). The Wii is still playing catchup in this regard, in all areas.

The Wii has been cracked wide open now, and because it's a console that is lacking in more modern security techniques it's been a lot easier to keep it hacked/cracked than say the Xbox 360 or the Playstation 3. Now that the Playstation 3 has been cracked, you're starting to see a large amount of releases (emulators and the likes) over there, and that will only continue.

Hacking has always attracted a large number of supplementary people, the "power user" types who know how to apply the hacks back to front, and are good at troubleshooting/repairs. I've noticed a distinct change in the Wii scene, in that these supplementary people are the ones getting the masses of praise and love, generally for bringing together tools developed by others, or writing guides for these tools. I'm not sure if it is because of the comparatively lower age of the average Wii hacker, or if it is an indication of the times, but these people are getting treated like gods and experts.

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate the contributions that these people make. I am particularly concerned about the "donations" that these people are requesting, being that the money is not being invested in hardware, or tools essential to the hacking process - it's almost like they're wanting to be paid for their time compiling information. To me, it's a new version of the "homebreware" type product - but rather than directly being paid for it, they're backdooring it by calling it a "donation".

Hope this helps.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jampe said:
QUOTE said:

I stumbled upon it when I started hacking my NDS Lite, and I saw that GBATemp.net had a wealth of information about Wii hacking as well.

Varies from a few times a day to a few times a week to a few times a month.

It hhas the potential to increase sales by introdcing a "try before you buy" principle.

I am not part of any hack developments, and at the moment I do not aspire to be.

Simple - freedom of use. If the developer does not want it to be pirated, they should make the most impossible AP scheme ever (though I will surely regret saying this when I get a job in programming)

As long as you are respectful, they are very helpful and have a wealth of knowledge that they are willing to share.

Programming in C++ and Java, being an advanced computer user, hacking an NDS.

USB Loaders and WiiWare/VC loaders

In my opinion, the Wii, when unhacked, is a very weak console, limited by the expectations of Nintendo. But when hacked, you can unlock its complete ability, such as that of playing all of your legitimate games off of a single hard drive and playing roms.

Not sure what do add here... I am very grateful to those who have produced them, such as Hermes and Waninkoko for the cIOSes and XFlak for his ModMii (Formerly NUS Auto Downloader), among many many many others. Thank you all very much for your hard work and allowing the Wii to be the console it CAN be, not the console it Iis SUPPOSED to be.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jampe said:
I'm studying digital design, and my bachelor is just around the corner.
My area is Wii hacking and the communities that revolve around it.Working on an EE myself, best of luck!
biggrin.gif
jampe said:
If you'd like to help me out, you can PM me your answers or just reply here.
To those of you who do, thank you very much in advance.

QUOTEWhy are you using this particular community?
I was aware that the Wii had a vibrant homebrew community before I received a next-gen console -- that's why I picked the Wii above the 360/PS3.

Over the last 2 weeks, not so much, with finals here.
ohnoes.png

Not sure what you mean by tendancy. I bought a Wii specifically due to its homebrew scene at the time. If I simply wanted copied games, the 360 was completely flashable at that point.

See above; at the time of purchase, I bought the most hackable console. I wanted to join in to the scene, though outside circumstances have kept me from investing much time into it.

I think once you've bought a piece of hardware, you're largely in control of it. If you've bought a console, you've bought the rights to manipulate it as you see fit, period. Yeah, you could do nasty things with it -- with great freedom comes great responsibility.

It's dangerous to homogenize the community, for most purposes. Me? I'm too po' to enjoy many of the pay-to-play titles. Yeah, a college degree is expensive. I can honestly say that N hasn't lost a penny on me -- if I had the money to buy titles, I would do so. But I recommend the platform to anyone interested in homebrew development, along with the PSP, due to their respective communities.

Softmodded a XBox before; the hacking process wasn't all that different for me. A year ago, you had to have Zelda: TP and 3.2. I bought TP and got myself softmodded. 3.4 downgrade to 3.2. I've avoided updating anything besides IOSes when possible.

I like seeing the console accomplish things which it may have not been designed to accomplish. The "can't play DVDs with a simple software update" vs. "now you can play DVDs with DVDx" and up to "now all you need is AHBPROT" has been really entertaining to watch.

Capability + willpower + free time. We have a lot of room in which to play; I think that contributes significantly.

I think that ultimately, console hacking has the same degree of controversy as sodomy, at least in the United States, if you remove the copyright piece. Think about it -- most console hackers have the same POV as "hey, what you do in your own home with your own hardware is your own business." So what's the real difference here?

jampe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I turned in my assignment yesterday, so I shan't be needing more info.
Thanks so much to all who replied, it proved vital to my research.

jampe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The questionnaire wasn't meant for "real" hackers.
Those guys, like fx. giantpune and dimok, I interviewed on IRC.

So yeah, there are real hackers here.
You're just not one of them
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse