To all RHS customers: Fake Acekard 2i's

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by cynful09, Aug 31, 2011.

Aug 31, 2011
  1. cynful09
    OP

Newcomer cynful09 Member

United States
    We have discovered a discrepancy in our latest batch of Acekard 2i's. After a couple emails from our customers, we contacted our current supplier and he admitted to sending us a mixed batch of authentic and counterfeit Acekard 2i's. Please note, we have been using this supplier since the last debacle in early 2010, and up to now he had been consistent. Please understand, as a retailer we cannot check the codes - as they do come up as "fake" if checked more than once - but we do check for contact issues and randomly update the 2i's with the latest firmware. We have been able to update them consistently and the HW id comes up as: 8181.

We have contacted Acekard. They claim that all codes are unique. We have attempted to order from Acekard directly, in order to avoid issues like this, but they refuse and we have to order from outside suppliers.

To any customer who suspects there is an issue with the legitimacy of your cart, please contact us immediately. En route, we have a new batch of Acekard 2i's that are confirmed legitimate from a trusted partner. If anyone needs a replacement as soon as possible, we are checking codes and updating them with the latest patch. Please note - if you choose this option, the code will have already been checked once, and you will get the counterfeit message on Acekard's website should you feel you need to check it again. To all customers who have made orders from 8/30 and on, we will also be checking the codes before we ship them out.

We apologize to all customers for the inconvenience and are committed to resolving this issue. You do not have pay to send the cartridge back. Please contact us through email (sales@realhotstuff.com) or open a support ticket http://www.realhotstuff.com/ticket_create.php to resolve this issue. Feel free to PM me if you like.

- RHS

*There is one discrepancy we noticed: When you peel back the authenticity sticker ( the silver layer), if there is still a holographic effect left on the surface of the numbers, the cartridge is most likely fake.

2. zhuzhuchina

Member zhuzhuchina GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    is possible to get some picture of these new flashcard inside pcb etc, because i just bought 500aki 3 days ago from acekard team and maybe i can check if are same or not
    i am surprised why acekard they don't sell you flashcard, nowadays when you got cash all vendors want to sell to you.
    If you ever need Ak2i from acekard team just drop an email to me, i can forward aki to your hong kong address or US directly
    ciao!

ps: forgot to say, not need to gain anything from this forward

3. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    From what i understand having PCB pictures won't help much to identify the fake ak2i. As it was said the only way to know if it's a fake one is to check the code.

I'm right ?

edit : Conclusion, those fake ak2i are only fake because of the legit code been checked several time. The hardware is 1:1 of a legit ak2i.
    Looks to me like someone at the factory wished to make quick cash. [​IMG]

4. Blindasabat

Newcomer Blindasabat Newbie

United States
    Confirmed fakes here as well from RHS. Ordered Sunday August 28th from them (3 cards). All 3 are fakes. I noticed it first when I was having trouble with my builds and games that I have setup identical on another chip (same) that I have. This was after updating to current version. I checked the site and it reported the same code had been input 18x before. I've emailed RHS today so hopefully I'll get a response tomorrow.

As stated previously, the chip looks physically identical to my prior authentic chips. I just noticied discrepencies between games working on my prior copies versus these.

-Ray

5. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    hey ray,
    a list of what things you found not working would be greatly appreciated. it seems everyone is quick to ship back their 1:1 clone when the community would love to get some debug time on one.

according to acekard they are exact copies made with cheaper parts. everything should work the same. the risk is that the card will die faster from normal ware and tare.

-another world

6. Blindasabat

United States
    Okay 2 of the 3 cards proved to be fake per the Acekard checker. (both checked around 20 times a piece).

As for what I have tried so far (disclaimer - I am a casual user, but have messed around with Acekard, TTi and R4):

Upgraded to 1.8.8 successfully. Loaded apps and games on no issue. Reformatted and dropped to 1.8.7 no issue.

I am seeing issues on a couple of games, stuttering and just failure to load on the two "fake" chips.

-Plants vs. Zombies - failure to load at all, multiple settings tried vs. "authentic" chip with identical build loading fine
    -Mario vs. DK - stuttering and seizure after load vs. "authentic" chip with identical build running it

I read through your other posts of things to try. I didn't have the time to mess with online connectivity via one of my routers with any of the chips so I can't comment on that.

Anything else you want me to try out or something I missed? (just for curiousity)

-Ray

7. Another World

Colombia
    if you happen to have a ds lite i would love to know if you can downgrade the acekard bootloader and then upgrade it again.

more info on how to do that is HERE.

just follow the instructions for unbricking a bricked cart (which is just reflashing it).

here are the two files:
    http://www.acekard.com/download/ak2/ak2ifw_update_141x.zip
    http://www.acekard.com/download/ak2/ak2ifw...ds21_DSi143.zip

if you don't have a ds lite, then keep testing ROMs and Homebrew. I would love to know if Operation Libra works. Norm had to do some special stuff to get it running and I'm curious if it works on the clones.

-another world

8. Blindasabat

United States
    I've upgraded the bootloader before, didn't know it was called that, but I learned something I suppose from you. [​IMG]

I will give it a go here in a bit when I get some quiet time here at the house.

I'll update you on the results. I have a DS lite, DSi and 3DS... (I'm crazy that way)

-Ray

9. Blindasabat

United States
    Okay, it allowed me to both upgrade 143 /downgrade 141 no issue using the ds lite flash files, but it still acts flakeyas on the certain games. I'm going to try upgrading it back to 1.8.8 again just for grins.

And RHS replied within a day after I opened a ticket. They are shipping me out 2 new cards to exchange for the "fakes". I feel bad for them as they seem to be a honest/rep business that geniunely cares about their customers. (at least their actions thusfar point to this)

-Ray

10. Another World

Colombia
    the fact that you can upgrade/downgrade proves its a 1:1 clone. the previous ak2i clones could not be upgraded and/or downgraded.

you might want to run your micro sd card through the panasonic formatter. its possible that the ROM problems you are having are not related to the clones. -- and that would be interesting =)

-another world

11. Blindasabat

United States
    Okay after farting around with this thing for several hours, here is what I determined and I'm still confused.

Formatted chip with the Panasonic app, following the settings in the wiki.

Format and fresh install of 1.8.6 - still issues with games
    Format and fresh install of 1.8.7 - still issues with games
    Format and fresh install of 1.8.8 - still issues with games

Here's where it gets freaky...

My kiddos DS plays the games fine on his SD card, on the "fake" Acekards or his. So I copy his SD chip 1:1 (1.8.7 build) to my SD chip and it works fine.

So blast if I know what's going on, but I'm functioning now with the "fake" Acekards.

So for you Another World, it boils down to I guess one of two things possibly going on:

1) It does appear to be a 1:1 copy using components identical from the manufacturers as you stated OR
    2) It's a real Acekard chip that the quality controls broke down on processes for ensuring unique codes generated on the stickers for the cards

Either way, RHS has shipped me new ones that should be here any day according to their correspondance. Hope this has helped someone others as well!

-Ray

12. Another World

Colombia
    thanks for taking the time to run some tests and to do some debugging. i now have more information to pass on to the next person who has some issues with their 2i.

-another world