Gaming To all in the Minecraft know-how, I've got a problem.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I've been playing the sky survival map and I decided to make a mob trap and spawner in order to collect items like bones.

The problem I have is that the mobs are very slow at spawning, the items travel once the mobs die but it takes a long time for a single mob to spawn, I've taken a fair few screenshots and uploaded them to Imageshack so here's the link: http://imageshack.us...1023014454.png/
I've got platforms for the mobs to spawn on, so what's going on?

I watched CaptainSparklez do his mob spawner on youtube and the mobs spawned really fast.

Any ideas on what I've done wrong?

edit: Just so this question doesn't pop up a million times, in the spawning room, I don't know if you guys could see properly but there are 3x3 spawning areas in each corner of the room.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that looks like its more water than actual spaces for mobs to spawn, and i don't know if this was just to take screenshots but it looks way too bright in most areas.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
that looks like its more water than actual spaces for mobs to spawn, and i don't know if this was just to take screenshots but it looks way too bright in most areas.
I've got 3x3 spawning areas in each corner, perhaps increasing that size would work?
The lighting in the first room was due to the wall behind me, considering I destroyed it to enter, so it let the light in, also the lava in the next room brings up a bit of light but it's not much.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mobs do not spawn in or on water (except for squid), so you should make platforms above the water channels to make them spawn.
Read my above post, it states that I have 3x3 spawning areas in each of the corners (made out of cobble, above the water)
Just a reminder, mobs DO spawn, they just spawn slowly, it seems it would be easier to kill them myself based on the slowness that they spawn.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
36 spawning blocks is not a lot, you need way more for it to be efficient. Remove the 3 by 3 blocks and just make platforms above the water. That, or add more of those 3 by 3 blocks you already have, or expand the spawning room.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
36 spawning blocks is not a lot, you need way more for it to be efficient. Remove the 3 by 3 blocks and just make platforms above the water. That, or add more of those 3 by 3 blocks you already have, or expand the spawning room.
Well, while waiting for replies, I've destroyed the roof to see if they spawn successful at night (even with the risk of spiders getting over and creepers destroying the place) and if that's not successful, I'll expand the spawning room.

How big do you suggest I make the spawning areas?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Make an mobgrinder with a 2 block wide water channel in the middle.
On each side 2 platforms 8 deep and 6 wide.
Repeat that for 4 or 5 platforms (10 in total)
Make an lava trap at the beginning and lay a water channel to a collection point.
Make sure everything is as dark as it can get (ignore the light from the lava)

It should work perfectly and should have a good yield.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Terrible mob trap design.

Just make a mob tower, they're simple as hell and sooo effective once they're huge.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Terrible mob trap design.

Just make a mob tower, they're simple as hell and sooo effective once they're huge.
First time making a trap, wasn't expecting it to be perfect.

Anyway, you guys know the room that has the lava in it that leads to the collection area? Well spiders keep clogging up the "item pipe" they sit just below the lava, rather than getting burned by it, is it safe to move the ladder down 1 block and move the lava down 1?

After tampering, I expanded the spawn area and found out that it fixed it but unless I'm on my main spawn area (grassy area, roughly 24 blocks away) they don't spawn, so I camp at the grass for a minute and then go and collect many items.

Thinking of expanding the item pickup thing towards my grass area so I can collect items whilst mobs continuously spawn.

GAH, on 1501 posts, this WAS my 1500th =(

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
A better thing to do is make a large tower.
At about sky level have a large area for the mobs to spawn over (have a roof for day time spawning.
Make a 2x2 hole with a pipe going to the ground, the mobs will fall down this.
Just make an entrance to the bottom of the pipe and that's where you collect your items.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
16x16 is the smallest you should go if you want to spawn mobs. Any smaller and you wont get much. I would just go with a mob tower, they are probably the easiest to do.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A better thing to do is make a large tower.
At about sky level have a large area for the mobs to spawn over (have a roof for day time spawning.
Make a 2x2 hole with a pipe going to the ground, the mobs will fall down this.
Just make an entrance to the bottom of the pipe and that's where you collect your items.
I was originally going to do that but I didn't want something going from the top of the world down, it would look messy, I mean my work is currently messy but I'm going to put a nice coating of cobblestone or something else over it.

16x16 is the smallest you should go if you want to spawn mobs. Any smaller and you wont get much. I would just go with a mob tower, they are probably the easiest to do.

Eh? I made my spawn areas 5x5 and it seems to work perfectly now (mind you that's 4 5x5 spawn areas)

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Eh? I made my spawn areas 5x5 and it seems to work perfectly now (mind you that's 4 5x5 spawn areas)
You have 1 on each corner? My setup is one large 16x16 square in the center, with a 2 block wide channel of water all around the outside, which carries mobs to the corners, where they fall to the bottom level in to my mob grinder

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you don't want it high up in the air, make the pipe in the ground going down to bedrock.
I thought mobs didn't like walking off edges, so how does this work?

Mobs LOVE walking off edges.
I had a 12 story mob tower (pretty tiny) and had a very steady stream of items non-stop for hours.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

You have 1 on each corner? My setup is one large 16x16 square in the center, with a 2 block wide channel of water all around the outside, which carries mobs to the corners, where they fall to the bottom level in to my mob grinder
Yeah, I have one 5x5 cobblestone spawning area in each corner, water flows on every block apart from the spawning blocks, then it drags the mobs into the hole in the center (2x2) then they fall into a room with water that pushes them into lava then the items flow to my collection area.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s