^^title-1865^^

zatelli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Finallly Banjo Pilot 's been released I was expecting this one to come for a while eventhough I can't play it atm (busy
frown.gif
as we speak)
QUOTE said:
Is this anything like Diddy Kong Rasing for the N64?
IMHO it's as good as that game by looking at the screeshot it seems like it has a fair 3-D engine for a GBA game .
BTW guys are you still sceptical? Do you think developpers'll leave a market of over (200 million potential customers like that?I doubt it at least till there's a market wide enough to replace the current one (which means not before the 4rth trimester of this year)
Note:if GBA roms were scarce recently is because (IMO) it's the post-christmas rush period we shall have more roms in no time.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OMG this game rocks! Well much better than I thought it'd be, heh. God it seems every game Rare release you guys insist on flaming Rare regardless of the game...

Right as for terrain effects on planes... yeah it's kinda weird but it makes the game more interesting. Like for example the terrain doesn't have any effect on your plane if you're a) boosting, or b) have invincibility, so it's cool using either to hog the inside corners to scrape off valuable seconds.

As for the game in general and compared to Mario Kart it's pretty dam good so far... the planes handle very well and the fantastic animation only adds to the sense of control and gameplay (it's easy to see your opponents waaay ahead for example). The whole things plays at a good pace (feels faster then Mario Kart) and the boosts push the game along at F-Zero sized proportions; i.e. very fast. Oh and the presentation is great... nicely composed music as well. AI is well implemented. Also it's cool how there are no walls as such... so unlike Mario Kart you can't accidently clip the tinest corner and stop dead in your tracks; if you go outside the boundaries the game automatically veers you back towards the track.

On the negative side weapons pale in comparison to Mario Kart and the track designs I've played through so far were nothing special... (needs more obsticles to make use of the height) although the way boss battles are handled are pretty cool (You have to try and gun down your opponent and you take it in turns being on the offensive (chasing enemy) or defensive (being chased with camera facing front of plane)).

On the whole Mario Kart is a better racer but Banjo Pilot is an interesting alternative... it's no where near as good as Diddy Kong Racing (which IMO was miles better than Mario Kart 64) and could have been a lot better considering the development time but it's good enough to keep me occupied until Kameo and Conker arrive on the Xbox anyway, heh.

smile.gif

p.s To clear a few points:

1. The game doesn't use a 3D engine... it's a crappy Mode 7 one, Rare were gonna use a 3D engine but it looks like they went back to their original plan.
2. There are not 200 planned GBA releases this year... so far there only looks like around 20-40 games are gonna be released in the next 6 months, of course prove me wrong and I'll happily eat my GBA.
3. 200 million potential customers?! If by potential customers you mean VBA users then perhaps, lol.

smile.gif

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Darkforce pretty much nailed it.
The game controls incredibly well, and the plane animations and camera are excellent, very smooth gameplay too.
But like DF said, the weapons are teh suck. Theres only 3: A block thing, 3 block things, and a fireball thing.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the history of this game is ridiculous...it was announced before the GBA was released, then it was renamed to Banjo Pilot (just as any other Rare game was renamed at least once in it's 4 year long development...), then they planned to do some nice 3D graphics, but suddenly realized, that 3D on the GBA sucks, and now it looks like some unoriginal racing game, just with planes...
what's the sense of flying games if there aren't any walls you can fly against?

Edit: mmmhh, no release number, what does that mean?

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
2. There are not 200 planned GBA releases this year... so far there only looks like around 20-40 games are gonna be released in the next 6 months, of course prove me wrong and I'll happily eat my GBA.
Looking forward to the new Secret of Mana for the GBA

As for this I'll try before I buy
mellow.gif

The only reason it was named Banjo-Pilot because of Rare's Defection to Microsoft - That resulted in Rare losing the rights to everything Donkey Kong. I think Nintendo purchased all the other Kong Clan aswell. (Diddy,Dixie,Cranky, ect)

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The game controls incredibly well, and the plane animations and camera are excellent, very smooth gameplay too.
But like DF said, the weapons are teh suck. Theres only 3: A block thing, 3 block things, and a fireball thing.
Wow, I just flashed the game and it's pretty awesome. I know I'm enjoying it. Try it out and give it a chance before you bash it to the ground.

As for weapons, I've found (and the Mario equivalent):
When you don't have an item, you can shoot pellots at people to slow them down
Fireball (Red Turtle Shell)
Triple Fireball (Triple Red Turtle Shell)
Ice Cube (Banana Peel)
Triple Ice Cube (Triple Banana Peel)
Flying UFO Disk (Um...Red Turtle Shell?)
Feather (Mushroom)
Mask (Attacks All)

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I just flashed the game and it's pretty awesome. I know I'm enjoying it. Try it out and give it a chance before you bash it to the ground.

As for weapons, I've found (and the Mario equivalent):
When you don't have an item, you can shoot pellots at people to slow them down
Fireball (Red Turtle Shell)
Triple Fireball (Triple Red Turtle Shell)
Ice Cube (Banana Peel)
Triple Ice Cube (Triple Banana Peel)
Flying UFO Disk (Um...Red Turtle Shell?)
Feather (Mushroom)
Mask (Attacks All)
How do you shoot them pellets?
ohmy.gif

[edit]
woah, 2999 posts @_@

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You know NOTHING OF BANJO! @_@

Its the Golden Feather, not Feather. And that aint no Mask, That's a Mumbo Token you!!! *Banjo Nut here
happy.gif

Also I think the UFO is the Spikey Shell, the one that goes straight for the guy in 1st Place. And the Golden Feather is a Star, while the Running Shoes are the Mushroom.

MonkeyHead79

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Indeed. And I'd say that, although the game runs and controls very fluidly, it's just not quite as interesting or fun as Mario Kart Super Circuit. I think Rare are focusing just a bit too much on the technology side of things on the GBA, and thereby less time refining the gameplay to be the very best it can be. I guess some people might find this better than Mario Kart, but I sadly don't. Looks like Rare's golden years have already come and gone...

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Rare had some golden years!?!?! Oh, yeah... that's right... they did.

The best racing game ever was Chocobo Racing! ...Really. OK maybe not. Now I'm contradicting myself again.

IxthusTiger

Cruddy's Buddy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why aren't a lot of these recent releases numbered?
cause thug is to lazy to put it in there....
@Ixthus-and trimester divide the year in 4, each trismester has 3 months(that is way it is called trimester) so it divides in 4 parts of 3 months making it 12 months....in your version we only have 9 months....
oh yeah huh? I are teh pwned

meh... I guess I never believed April, July and September coutned as months
smile.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmmm.

After downloading and playing it, I'm in agreement with the other proponents here - it's actually not a bad game, the screenshots really don't give it any justice at all!

gacktgacktgackt

Trophies
Website
thedeskandchair.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Game is absolutely tragic.

Played it and beat 3 GP Cups after about an hour. Few things to say, the game looks absolutely disgusting compared to other racers on the GBA that have been out for ages (MKA, GT 3, even F-Zero)

The sound is absolutely dreadful, and for some reason the game is the loudest game I've ever heard on GBA so far, tunes sound like absolute rubbish and the plane sounds are even worse.

Tracks are boring and unimaginative, as you progress along the game you'll see that absolutely nothing interesting is brought in. Just the same old track layout, few corners, few speed-boosts, nothing interesting at all. Have a major quip with the fact that even flying over the slightest bit of grass at the side of the track slows you down, there isn't much margin for error in the game, you can't try and normally shave off seconds from your laptime by going across the occasional bit of grass because it WILL slow you down.

Power-ups are crap, and those rubbish little "cheats" that you get from collecting Cheato's pages such as the little creatures that you shoot to open up speed-boosts are completely pointless, namely because the speed-boosts appear in rediculous places, and EVERYONE can use them, so what's the point in spending all those cheat pages on items that'll give everyone in the race an advantage.

For a guaranteed win, pick Mumbo-Jumbo all the time, he's considerably faster than the lot... which is completely crap, sure Kazooie and Jingo (statistically) have better handling and acceleration... but what's the point when by holding R you can do massively simple turns around even the most bendy corners with any character, without it having any effect on your speed at all.

So what have I ran by so far, inbalance in characters, unimaginative tracks, annoying sounds, looks like crap, rubbish items and "cheats", oh yes... the Jiggy Challenge, which removes any actual challenge by showing you whereabouts the Jigsaw pieces are on the map. Ummmm, the fact that the game is made rediculously easy due to the completely pathetic control system, oh and just to touch on one final thing. The end stages of the GP, where you have to battle it out against the cup champion. When I say battle I mean you have to shoot the crap out of the computer character, whilst he remains hopeless using only drop-behind power-ups... then everything switches and you have to avoid his completely crap aim from behind... making these "boss" stages, a complete and utter cake-walk.

There is nothing redeeming about this game whatsoever, weigh up the amount of time this has been in "development" and compare it to the quality of the game... and I'd go as far as to say that it's the worst racer on the GBA, nay, the worst game on the GBA (being slightly worse than Rare's last release, It's Mr. Pants)

Quick Scoring :

Graphics : 3/10
Sound : 1/10
Lastability : 1/10
Gameplay : 1/10
Control : 3/10

Overall : 1/10

Puck The Joker

Puck, The Arrogant Phuck
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Ixthus-and trimester divide the year in 4, each trismester has 3 months(that is way it is called trimester) so it divides in 4 parts of 3 months making it 12 months....in your version we only have 9 months....

Sorry Inu, but you need to get your facts straight. A Trimester divides the year into 3 sets of 4 months. A Quarter on the other hand divides the year into 4 sets of 3 months. There are also Halves which divide the year into 2 sets of 6 months.

asher: Everyone has their own opinion and obviously you disagree with gackt's.

asher

^ Liar
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
its not that...

but i hate that people dont like games anymore just because they are new.

consider this a 16 era´s second air.

i mean common... even halo 2 sucks if you ask this people.

i can name great new games...

like jak 3, sly 2, ratchet... h2, ico, kingdom hearts , mark of kri
viewtiful joe, final fantasy X, mgs 3 , oddworld stranger wrath, minish cap
wind waker, super mario sunshine , otogi 1 and 2... metroid zero mission and fusion.

in my opinion banjo pilot is good... average good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse