Titanfall devs debut new free to play battle royale game "Apex Legends"

A new Titanfall game is not in development--that much was made clear today, when developer Respawn lifted the curtain on their new game. Apex Legends is the latest to join the "battle royale" bandwagon, launching today for PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. Much like Fortnite, Apex Legends is free to play, relying on entirely aesthetic micro-transactions, as stressed by the game's lead producer, who was concerned players would be worried about publisher Electronic Arts, and its policy of lootboxes. As far as gameplay goes, the game pits you against 60 other players, in teams of 3, and features class-based characters with differing abilities and playstyles. Cross-play is not available at launch, though it is planned at a later date. A gameplay trailer is available above, which showcases what the game looks like and the special skills of each character.

Reactions: scionae and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It looks like some odd combination of Borderlands, Overwatch, and Titanfall. Which IMO results in a much better-looking game than any previous Battle Royale title, especially on the gunplay side of things, but I'm still not sure it's appealing enough to get me to install Origin.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Owenge and hamohamo

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks pretty nice, but many people don't want origin and won't play more than one or two battle royale games. Also no crossplay for the starting audience is just a bad move
That in mind I recommend Spellbreak to anybody wanting a wizard/magic style battle royale game

Reactions: Xzi

TheRealNGB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like some odd combination of Borderlands, Overwatch, and Titanfall. Which IMO results in a much better-looking game than any previous Battle Royale title, especially on the gunplay side of things, but I'm still not sure it's appealing enough to get me to install Origin.

I was thinking Evolve and Titanfall without the mechs and monsters. The squad, and support group features feel like they were taken straight out of Evolve, while the run and gun action is very familiar to Titanfall.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has other games done 3 teams by default or at all?

Also, I was wondering if there were any Hero Shooter Battle Royale. Turns out it was Paladins Battleground aka Realm Royale.

Crazywhitie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alot of good ideas... Fun game for sure. But then need to add map wise and players. EA cash grab I think.. but we'll built.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I had to give it a try and it's very good. I guess that's surprising in some ways (it's a F2P EA game), but at the same time, the Titanfall games were pretty great too, so I think Respawn is a pretty solid developer overall. I amend my earlier post, it's more like a mix of Overwatch (characters with great personality, character abilities), plus Halo (two weapon limit with satisfying gunplay), plus Titanfall (sliding and fluid movement). The per-match weapon upgrades are really cool. It's also got the best contextual ping/communication system I've ever seen.

I suppose the issues I always had with Fortnite were the pointlessness of a construction mechanic in a match-based shooter, and the terrible random hitchance system. The issues I had with PUBG were the bugs/optimization problems, and the bland aesthetic. Apex Legends doesn't have any of these issues.

Not to say it's entirely without flaws. I would've preferred they give you room to carry at least three weapons, and it is possible to go almost a whole match without running into any enemies. The former doesn't really bother me enough to keep me from enjoying the game, however, and the latter is more an issue inherent to the Battle Royale genre at large.

Oh, and it ran perfectly on my hardware. That might seem like a given, but I was running it in 4K with everything cranked to max, so I'd guess it runs pretty well all the way down to its minimum requirements.

It's both funny and sad how much better this seems to be than Anthem.

Last edited by Xzi,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Haven't got a chance to play a real round, but I did hop into training. Controls incredibly well. Gunplay feels good, though i'm not a huge fan of the simplistic bullet spreads. Every gun can be fired at max range with little issue, most at full speeds. Except shotgun, which still lands good damage surprisingly far. DMR is a beast of a gun.
Need to wait for my partner to wake up before i'll dare try a real round. Not a huge fan of requiring 3player teams but it is a nice dynamic overall. I imagine it'll discourage a lot of people though.

Dam shame they swore never to touch the switch

This game would bend the switch over on the title screen alone. We really don't need another Ark.

Reactions: Xabring and Chary

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Would've rather had a new Titanfall, but it being Respawn Entertainment I'm going to have to try this.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If they made this available on Steam as well or, better yet, as a standalone like some games do, it could actually do pretty darn well with potential to get up there with Fortnite in terms of playerbase. Seems fun and unless they add scummy practices like battle passes or lootboxes, it would be interesting to see where it ends up. But problem is Origin... Apparently it already hit 1 million players already within 8 hours, so it certainly is promising.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple