Titanfall devs debut new free to play battle royale game "Apex Legends"

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Feb 4, 2019.

1. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Another generic battle royale game.
    It certainly is better then the zombie fad...

2. Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    My friend can't install this... his origin setup won't launch... The exe is just dead weight in task manager consuming no cpu.
    He has no anti virus etc.. just windows defender which I even turned off for him.

He never touched origins before this day...
    I want to play with him :(

Crap EA software

3. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    Do you need PS PLUS to play online?? Or like Fortnite . You can play Online without it...

4. linkinworm

linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2008
    Birmingham (England)
    I think due to loving titanfall, im overlooking that this game is a bit generic shooter guy game. still solid mechanics and graphics, I cant stop trying to wallrun, or looking out for titans

5. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    They did kind of a smart thing with this game. You can integrate your Steam account with the game and see all your Steam friends. You can even invite them to the game, but it's at that point they'd have to download and install Origin if they don't have it already. If Epic had a similar system, their launcher would be a lot more appealing. As it is, it's way too bare bones to compete with Steam in earnest. Some sort of Steam integration is a good compromise for third-party launchers.

Last edited by Xzi, Feb 5, 2019
  6. Awesomeaustin316

Awesomeaustin316 Shiro

May 28, 2015
    United States
    I was very skeptical of this before i played it. Ive played Fortnite, Blackout, and H1Z1 before. Out of those, i wasnt too interested but played occasionally with friends. That all said, this game is the most fun I've had with a Battle Royale. I immediately had a friend group to play with though.

Xzi likes this.
  7. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    unless they port the source engine to mobiles, which apparently valve is doing with source, thats not happening.

8. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    I feel like I'm going to puke every time I hear about ark. There are 2 ends of the spectrum of switch ports, ark is on the "I don't give two shits just give me my money now while doom is on the "ok, let's put some effort into making the best out of this so people give two shits and actually want to give us there money". Ark gave switch ports a bad name and sadly seems to be taking more precidence with people then doom. Also, as for an example of a battle royale you have good ol' forttrash to fall back on though they managed to get it to even run on phones.

9. Owenge

Owenge *Autistic Screams*

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    I would be a-okay with this replacing Fortnite, honestly Fortnite has been popular for long enough

ThoD and Memoir like this.
  10. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Not me. I wanna be able to keep playing Apex Legends, so I hope the kiddies stick with Fortnite. I'd guess the gunplay is too tight and the TTK is too fast compared to what Fortnite players are used to, anyway.

Subtle Demise, Owenge and Memoir like this.
  11. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    No large spread and high magnetism to shift the odds. So, they'd stay there anyways.

Xzi likes this.
  12. TheRealNGB

TheRealNGB GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2017
    United States
    After giving this a shot, I have to say the controls feel like a step back from Titanfall, there is no rocket jumping, or wall walking which makes it feel slower and clunky, Everything else seems alright enough, I would have just preferred those features as they make the gameplay faster, and easier to navigate maps.

Memoir likes this.
  13. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Just got done playing it. I liked it, but I'm not good at these types of games, haha

14. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Game feels slow without the standard TF maneuverability...

TheRealNGB likes this.
  15. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    You think so? Between the re-launch balloons, ziplines, and the increased speed of downhill sliding it feels pretty fast to me. Not quite Tribes: Ascend fast, but still.

Last edited by Xzi, Feb 8, 2019
  16. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    The footwork is slow. Sliding (I rely on this for a faux speed), jumping, vaulting. The zip lines are fine and all, but they don't make the small map feel any faster.. Honestly. It's easily one of the smallest maps I've played on in the BR realm.. 60 players... And 90% of the time my team and I have maybe 4 kills combined in the final 3. The game is slow. Especially for how small it is.

Last edited by Memoir, Feb 8, 2019