Tired of your bullshit, utorrent

GHANMI

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I'm being idiot enough to still use µtorrent, that stinking pile of crap. Back in 2012, it actually used to work, but with the recent updates, it kept getting increasingly shitty, until some point during this year, with the 3.xx versions.
If it wasn't a torrent with thousands of seeders, I mean with things like 30~50 seeders, it would hang on the "Connecting to peers" status, for days. No server check will do anything to help it (and actually other torrents downloaded in the mean time, or using another shitty torrent client for that same torrent, it actually begins downloading).

I begun suspecting it was on purpose...
I mean there was that toolbar in the top taunting me and saying: "This is taking forever. Ensure faster download speeds with GenericShittyAdware" with a big "Install Now" button that's overlapping the actual interface.

But now, the unthinkable happened.
I got a notification as if I finished downloading some torrent file.. only with a name I don't know and a "Buy Now". I clicked on it (well, it's the wrong thing to do), as I was puzzled.

shit.png

The fucking thing actually went full adware mode, after another automatic update (earlier this week the new update won't let me download anything! -I checked the configuration and the download tests).
It won't even let me check the torrent list, even when I add new ones.
I recall the earlier versions had a "shop" under the sidebar. From which you could open the shop or go back to the torrent list.
Here? Nope. No such switch. No way to toggle off the piss-yellow bar.
No way to close the shopping web page that opened suddenly.
A second later, and it opens a few pop-ups in both web navigators!

I uninstalled it at once.
And I recommend you do all the same.
µtorrent became an adware.

Anyone knows of any better torrent clients?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can literally turn all these ads off. All of them.

Set the following to False in Advanced Settings:
  • offers.left_rail_offer_enabled
  • offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled
  • offers.content_offer_autoexec
  • gui.show_plus_upsell
  • gui.show_notorrents_node
  • bt.enable_pulse
Then press F8 to hide Feature Content and you're done.
Well, if it was fine before, try getting those builds. I personally use Vuze (ex azureus) and no problems.
I remember using Azureus. Then I found uTorrent and never turned back.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use uTorrent all time with no problems.

Out of the box it displays ads, but you can turn them all off using advanced options. They have to support themselves somehow, mate.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I tried using BitTorrent way back when, and I got 3 BSOD in less than half an hour. I uninstalled it and installed uTorrent. Haven't turned back since.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I use uTorrent 3.0 Build 25460. I would be using Transmission, but the Windows version sucks.

I stopped updating uTorrent when it went to Adware.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
I use a seedbox now so I don't need to bother with torrent clients :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
uTorrent 3.0 is ad-free, but you'll be missing out on protocol updates. It's a gajizillion times easier to just disable the ads and enjoy an up-to-date uTorrent installation. You can make it as clean and neat as you want - my uTorrent has practically nothing enabled other than Devices, the torrents list and the bottom status tabs.

ineverwipe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm i use BitTorrent. Only had blue screen once and that was because of an iffy torrent that I should have never tried.

Haven't had any other problems as long as I stick with reliable torrents (ones with tons of seeds and positive comments). But I am running great anti malware and av programs as well so that could be a factor

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Fair enough, just thought I'd inquire about that :P
I have the luxury of living in a country in which the authorities are technologically illiterate so I never had a problem with torrenting with absolutely no safety measures at all and frankly I don't know anyone who's ever ran into any issues, but the best bet for you guys is probably VPN. Then again, paying a subscription fee for being able to pirate is sort of counter-productive in my opinion, you might as well go legit and support content creators.

aireca

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This proves that people complain because of ignorance, you can disable all adware on uTorrent, the advanced options are there for you to use. But Still i recommend maximum 3.3.1 because other superior versions are banned on some anime websites.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: