Tips on burning a PS2 ISO?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Gaisuto, Jun 19, 2007.

Jun 19, 2007

Tips on burning a PS2 ISO? by Gaisuto at 12:47 AM (2,155 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    The main issue my PS2 has reading burnt discs are for the games that don't take up much space (The most recent game I DLed, for example, isn't even 2GB.) You look at the disc from the back, and you see a little tiny dark circle and a ton of not. I might just be going crazy but I always assumed that little disc reading space is the reason the PS2 has trouble reading burnt discs.

Is there any special thing to do before burning an ISO that can fix that possible issue?

2. tjas

Member tjas The Gbatemp HRManager

Netherlands
    What I know of my modded cube only plays burned iso that where filled up with junk so that it was 1.4 gb. Maybe their are programs for ps2 iso's that fill them up?

3. Gayle

Newcomer Gayle Member

United States
    The usual tips are: Use the slowest burning speed, and use good media. I always burn at 1x speed. Alot of my backups are small (Nippon Ichi games, for example) and they usually work pretty well. It goes without saying but make sure you are not trying to burn a cd image to a dvdr. I really don't see how the size of an ISO would affect reading it (unless of course it is the wrong type, such as CD or DVD9). You could always make the ISO bigger by injecting a dummy file but I don't really think that will help at all.

4. Da Mafia

Member Da Mafia GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    How are you playing backups? Modchip or SwapMagic?

I always burn my with DVD Decrypter at 8x and never had and problems due to size.

5. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Swap Magic. Also it's not so much I'm worried about the disc reading wrong, it's me damaging my PS2 more than it already is. It's gotten to the point where even using normal discs are scratching them just from regular use (The Swap Magic disc itself is scratched to holy hell and has just a small chance of working each time, and my legit KH2: Final Mix+ disc has some noticable scratches and I've been treating that like a treasure since I bought it.)

6. Gayle

Newcomer Gayle Member

United States
    If the PS2 scratches the disc, I think we conclude that the problem lies with the PS2 and not the ISO.

7. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    It's still playable though, I'm trying to minimize more damage to the lens....

8. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    That's just the way discs are burnt. The outer ring of data is where the data physically ends - this distance is no different on a retail disc except you can't see the ring on a retail disc because the data is factory pressed and not burnt.

Theoretically the PS2 or any lens may have more difficulty reading a burned disc because the makeup of the discs surface is completely different to a pressed disc. That itself doesn't present any real complications however because it is a burnt disc, there may have been inaccuracies in copying/burning the data i.e. trying to copy from/to scratched disc, using a rubbish drive etc...
    The data layer of a blank disc is made up of an optical dye which also presents a problem in that the data on dyes can start to fade over time, particulary with cheaper dyes or when exposed to sunlight.

Anywho to the point, if your PS2 isn't reading backups properly either A) your PS2 laser is dying, B) Problems with your modchip. C) Your DVD burner is starting to wear out or it's just rubbish or D) you are using rubbish discs or they are all scratched up. Usually it's A)...

[​IMG]

Edit - tjas - I can't remember the specifics but basically the Gamecube expects the garbage data to be there - it actually reads the discs from the outside inwards, but DVD burners burn from the inside outwards, so essentially you are adding garbage data to the beginning of the image to push the data to the outside edge.

Gaisuto - Using swap magic does tend to scratch up discs - I guess it's because of all the swapping? Still it shouldn't really affect playback unless they are really scratched. How old is your PS2?

9. Gayle

Newcomer Gayle Member

United States
    I'm not sure what model ps2 you have, but have you tried cleaning/adjusting the lens? I'm on my second ps2 now, but got alot of life out of my first by doing so.

10. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    I haven't had any problems with mine. I rip to ISO with DVD Decrypter and burn to DVD with Nero. Using Memorex DVD-Rs and +Rs.

Just how big is the ISO that causes the "tiny circle"?

I've got Deus Ex on disc (my smallest ISO at 1.28 GB) and it still covers a good portion of the disc:
    [​IMG]

11. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Okay, I opened the PS2 up and tweaked with the lens after using a guide.

I swabbed it with a Q-Tip and hit a little white spinny cog thingy to adjust it a little bit. After I put it back together I noticed one thing: The burnt disc it would absolutly refuse to read before started working, but at the same time when loading anything, even an actual disc, you'll hear an occasional "HRRM" sound come from the PS2 in a quick burst, and on a burnt disc the loading is just generally louder.

Can that occasional "HRRM" sound be causing damage to the PS2/discs inside or is there nothing to worry about?