Hacking Tips for G6 lite users

biovenger

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've had my G6 for some time now and haven't experienced even the slightest problem. Also, from reading the majority of the posts here I realize that most problems people have are based on a few things. So here are my views of the situation.

1) Never ever use the Trim Rom feature of the U-Loader. Ever. (Why someone would want to use this is beyond me... I have 6 non-trimmed roms on my cart now, what do you want? 12? Why?)

2) Do not use the Soft-Reset feature either. There seems to be a problem with SRAM management when you soft-reset back to the menu after playing a game. This might mess up your saves.

3) Always use the U-Loader to put roms onto your cart.

4) Always use the "safe remove" feature of windows, when you're removing your flash cart. If you're in linux, unmount the USB drive before disconnecting.

5) Try to use "clean" roms. That is, try not to use trainer-patched roms, no-intro-patched roms, etc...

6) Do not compress roms onto your cart.

Hope the above helps.

miko

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Add1: "Why?" This is argument?
smile.gif
(more homebrew,mp3,comix..)
Add2: This is true. When I make this, I cant open some homebrew apps. Its because of problems with cashing data.. I hope that can G6 team fix. But now works only classic off/on system.

yaynds.gif

temper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had my G6 for some time now and haven't experienced even the slightest problem. Also, from reading the majority of the posts here I realize that most problems people have are based on a few things. So here are my views of the situation.

1) Never ever use the Trim Rom feature of the U-Loader. Ever. (Why someone would want to use this is beyond me... I have 6 non-trimmed roms on my cart now, what do you want? 12? Why?)

Please explain why rom trimming would hurt the G6. As for why, I tend to fill up the available space with mp3's. Another reason would be if your GF likes six other games than you.....
wub.gif

Tigerstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Never trim ROMs? I've only ever had one commercial ROM that refused to work with trimming - everything else I've tried (admittedly a fairly limited selection) has worked fine with trimming. Leaves more space for GBA and emulated games.

biovenger

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rom trimming can for instance spoil saving routines in the game and thus spoil G6's handling of saves.

To all you others: Learn to play 3 games at a time instead of 6. Clear one -> move on to the next one
wink.gif

krad

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wow!

i totally disagree with everyone one of your points.

I have had my g6lite chinese since they first started shipping. I have loaded roughly around 100+ games on it.

I have trimmed and made the reset on every game i have loaded. I rip the usb out of the computer, i don't use the safely remove function. I beat the hell out of it, playing around 4-6 hours a day.. .mostly freedom wings. I have had zero problems... no corruptions or anything....

However...

I have played with the mputility extensivly while trying to hack the chinese version into english (unsuccessful). I have low level formated it about three times with the g6 tools. I have tried every option, vram, zip drive, cdrom... all the options and they work fine. However on some computers, the g6lite comes up as two drives. I can write to either of them so it is not a problem.

If you have read above, you can see that i did not go easy, or lightly on the g6lite. i sitll have not had any issues with it. works everytime!

knock on wood!

kingeightsix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ok, i don't know about the trim rom feature but if it works & you can cram more, why not?

2) Do not use the Soft-Reset feature either. There seems to be a problem with SRAM management when you soft-reset back to the menu after playing a game. This might mess up your saves.
i don't use this feature, either... but that sounds reasonable.

this one, is off the bat. you don't necessarily need the u-loader to load roms onto the cart. i've done it by just drag n drop a few times but getting the save file is a pain in the neck so what i do is i use the u-loader and select my HD, load the roms there & then select only the .gba & .0 files (saves alot of space this way).

4) Always use the "safe remove" feature of windows, when you're removing your flash cart. If you're in linux, unmount the USB drive before disconnecting.
i won't argue this one.

5) Try to use "clean" roms. That is, try not to use trainer-patched roms, no-intro-patched roms, etc...
i don't think patched roms have a problem making their way into a g6. i only use clean roms but i don't think patched ones make a difference.

yeah, this one just makes the loading time longer. doesn't save you much space, either.

my response to all that is based on the gba side of the g6

FoxMcClaud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have a G6L for a couple of months, i do the opposite of everything u say.

I trim my roms (yeah, use the space for homebrew and GBA games) and put soft reset. Only if a title does not work, i use notrim.

I rip my USB out, without safley removing it, i do this with all my USB devices, since years, never had a problem, just dont do it while copying on a USB device.

Soft reset works fine, never corruped anything!

ok, the only things i DO agree is, that i dont compress, cause i hate loading times and using clean roms!

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I see you misunderstand what trimming actually does. The trimming only removes excess 00 (or FF) bytes at the end of a rom. These are in place because the card's memory is filled with data (padded data).

Soft reset on the other hand causes the problems you would think happen when trimmed, but even so, the problems aren't as huge as you make them out to be.

TM_Sephiroth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Hope the above helps.

I'm a EXTREMELY careful person with my stuffs...
And I always do everything just like you said, since my G6 Lite arrived
biggrin.gif

Replies:
1 - Why would I want too many games...?(I have more than 15 games...all Non-TrimmedROM...And play about 5...) And I don't want to watch movies on my DS, just a few musics/e-books and that it's good.

2 - I don't use it...because I think that can slightly damage the card...(The same way I think that, if I suddenly boot/restart (Pressing the "RESET button") my PC, will slightly damage it...(A Teacher already told me that)

3 - Yes. I always use the U-Disk Manager version x (x = current version of my Loader)

4 - Never forgot!
cool.gif

5 - I will never do that! Don't need to...
dry.gif

6 - I always descompress the ROMS before writing to the cart

-----------

I have a question...
What about doFAT? What actually happens here?
I always think of using the "Safe Mode" instead of "doFAT"... (The difference between botting games: it's about 2-3 seconds...)
I just keep using it because it's a "Default" option of the U-Disk Manager...

Can slightly slightly slightly damage the cart ???

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I always trim and use soft reset, never had a problem! The original poster is crazy or basing his guide on assumptions.

biovenger

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I see some people replying "I've manhandled my G6 in the worst possible way and nothing has ever happened".

The problem with the above statement is thinking that all g6 carts are alike. If there was one solution to the problem, why would I bother putting 6 different points? Also, a lot of people are out when there's a thunderstorm brewing, but a very few get actually hit by a lightningbolt.

Deaddy said:
I always trim and use soft reset, never had a problem! The original poster is crazy or basing his guide on assumptions.

It's like saying that it's worthless to wear a safety-belt while driving in a car. I mean, there are PLENTY of people in the world that haven't died and haven't work the belt... Just a very stupid standpoint, no?

Also, we are pretty sure that the corruption does, in fact, not happen to everyone. So, what I am saying is that by following the steps, you will lower the risk of the g6 cart corruption.

To the trim-rom guy: You can never be sure that the trim rom patch always cleans padding. Do keep in mind that it's very easy to see padding as FF/00 data, but you also have to concider the possibility that a game may store data (at the end of the cart) in several FF/00-sequences.

For instance, a 256-color indexed image (or a raw truecolor bitmap of data) that's completely black would always end in a large sequence of 00's. FF's for a white bitmap.

You can never guarantee that the padding you're trimming is in fact padding because it can be data and you can be messing up the game's routines.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've done everything the opposite except for point 3 for hm, almost 1 year now and never experienced any problems with my G6.

Corrupted G6 has mainly been a hardware problem or / and because people use the extension usb things and remove the G6 directly from the usb thing that comes with it.

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Seriously though, how on earth can trimming a ROM damage your G6? The worst that can happen is that a game stops functioning. All the game can do is write to SRAM, right? So, maybe in some extremely weird way a corrupted-by-trimming ROM might corrupt the SRAM, but I don't believe that.

I'm open for your opinion on this and other points, but I see no real reason behind why you should follow your tips 1 and 5. I use trained ROMs and don't see what damage they could possibly do to the G6. One could argue a bricker is hidden in them, but when I personally patch a clean ROM with a scene trainer from a good source, I'm 100% positive nothing bad will happen to my G6 because of that.

biovenger

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seriously though, how on earth can trimming a ROM damage your G6? The worst that can happen is that a game stops functioning. All the game can do is write to SRAM, right? So, maybe in some extremely weird way a corrupted-by-trimming ROM might corrupt the SRAM, but I don't believe that.

I'm open for your opinion on this and other points, but I see no real reason behind why you should follow your tips 1 and 5. I use trained ROMs and don't see what damage they could possibly do to the G6. One could argue a bricker is hidden in them, but when I personally patch a clean ROM with a scene trainer from a good source, I'm 100% positive nothing bad will happen to my G6 because of that.

See, it's pretty easy to corrupt saving with trim rom. Check my last post for an example of how data can be erroneously corrupted by trim-rom features.

Now, assume that you are using this data (let's say multithreaded) while the other thread is writing game data to SRAM. Now the first thread might do something really stupid since it gets data it isn't expecting (or actually, it gets no data at all which should throw asserts, exceptions or apocalyptic riders).

So, now something might go wrong in the saving routine.

Again, let me repeat myself (although I hate doing it); my tips are SAFETY MEASURES, just like the airbag or safety belt in a car. Sure, a lot of people will never die in a car accident even if they don't use them, but it's much SAFER not to ignore. Understand? I'm not saying that you will ALWAYS get corruption if you don't follow my guidelines, I'm saying that the risk is lower.

g.crow

beide mittelfinger hoch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Hope the above helps.

biggest amount of bullshit i ever read in a single posting

mars

krad

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
biggest amount of bullshit i ever read in a single posting

mars

Yes, and your lack of extrapolating your statement really strengthens your opinion.

Especially regarding the fact that you are another one of the "I never do and it's fine" people and haven't read a single other post in this topic.

I agree with Mars.... i would have said it a bit nicer like i did on the first page when i posted.....

I am also one of the "I never do and it's fine" people.

Lets get serious for a second---------

I dont' really think you can destroy or kill the g6lite with software.... You can cause corruptions, we are using illegal means to play games... we don't have guarantees here from large companies that these things work 100% of the time.

What if the programmers are not that great? you get my point....

Even if they suck, you still can use the mputility to wipe the whole thing. It will format the whole device back to oem. And just to be sure for shits and giggles, pull out the battery from the g6lite for awhile and then use the utility....

Like i said in my earlier post, i beat the shit out of my g6lite and it hasn't given me one corrupted game or game save issue.

so those "I never do and it's fine" people do exist... i am one of them.

I got a JP NDSLite White
I got a G6Lite Chinese Version (bought 2 weeks before the NDSlite hit shelves in the US).

Now lets see... who the real noobs are...........

1. Do you guys exclude the g6lite drive from a/v scanning?
2. Do you have any crap like norton's security running in the background, taking snapshots of the g6lite drive?
3. Is there anything touching the g6lite drive besides the u-manager? if so that is probably why your card is corrupt.

How much spyware and crap do you guys have loaded on your pc? mine is clean as a whistle with 0 problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol