Tips for a flutist?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Excellentnuke, Aug 6, 2009.

Aug 6, 2009

Tips for a flutist? by Excellentnuke at 1:26 AM (622 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Excellentnuke
    OP

Member Excellentnuke GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've been playing flute for a few years now, but ever since I went to high school and started playing higher notes, the quality of my sound fell. My band director said that I wasn't chosen for wind ensemble because of the quality of my sound -- it's way too airy.

I figured that the way to fix this was to work on getting the hole the air comes out of smaller, but that hasn't gone too well for me so far -- the sound just get more airy. Any tips on getting my sound to be not so airy?

2. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    It's a flute, they sound like that no matter who plays them, there is no special trick to making it sound good aside from getting a better instrument. The pain in the ass with flute is that sound quality is based on the quality of the instrument, and odds are you are using a beginner flute amirite? Invest in something good if you plan on continuing, your teacher is full of shit for saying that your sound is too airy because of the way you play. Get a private instructor as well, you will learn how to play notes with a more crisp sound, teachers in highschool teach you squat all about your technique specifically, you just learn to read the notes.

I suggest checking out http://www.wwbw.com for instruments, the prices are great and you can find whatever you are willing to spend for a new flute, but upgrading is definately going to improve your sound in the end. Being a sax player myself, I hated school horns because they broke and had horrible key levels and intonation sucked, got my own horn when I was 17 and was happy that I did cause I still play it.

3. Alato

Member Alato GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    It's the instrument's fault up to a point. Not all flute players will get the exact same sound out of a certain flute. I, personally, don't play flute. My sister does and I play clarinet. I can get a sound out of a flute, but it's very, very airy.

Your sound's gotten worse, though? Because as you grow up, your embouchure does change requiring you to change the way you play a bit. I heard that focusing on blowing the air through the flute will give you a better sound. I wouldn't know for certain, though.

If you have a feeling it is the flute you're using, try investing in a better one.

4. Excellentnuke
    OP

Member Excellentnuke GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think that the sound may have gotten worse after I got braces, or because I wasn't used to playing higher notes.

Idk if it's a "beginner flute", but it's a Chinese-made Palatino flute. My friend's parents who own a music store recommended getting a new flute because Chinese-made instruments tend to last for shorter periods of time, and if I needed serious repairs on my flute for any reason they can't do anything about it or give me a rental until the flute is fixed.

Come to think of it, I vaguely remember my friend using my flute and getting a little airy tone, but I'm not sure I'm remembering right. *Scratches head*

@DS Gamer: I wouldn't really blame my teacher. It's kinda my fault since I never did anything about it after he told me last year. I also noticed that I'm the only one in my section who uses a big hole to get the air to the flute.

5. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Practise is the key to success as well, if you play a lot then it will help.

6. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    Practice your fingering.