(Tip) My design, Nintendo Wii remote without batteries

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials' started by spielvan, Feb 23, 2019.

1. spielvan
    OP

spielvan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2016
    Brazil
    Hello my dear, some time ago the staff asked me to make a video about my project of the Wii remote without batteries, connected to an ATX source, I hope you like it.

* First of all, I know I could use rechargeable batteries or Wii remote battery, but this is not the purpose of the video tutorial.:yaywii:

2. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    I personally believe guitar hero guitars (and similar games instruments) should all be rechargeable. Clonehero killss my battereis

Owenge, CoolStarDood and spielvan like this.
  3. spielvan
    OP

spielvan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2016
    Brazil
    I believe that a keyboard, scale ... that stays on a table stopped not have problem the wire, now the case of a guitar goes beyond the wii remote, because you perform very fast movements and because it is large the wire may come to disturb in the movements, but on the other hand if the battery of the guitar is weak can have loss in the time of response of the same in the game, thing that with her connected by wire will not occur.

4. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2015
    Italy
    spielvan likes this.
  5. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Neato Burrito!

Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    in ur orbit
    Fun-Fact: there were Green-White Wii DEV testing units, and one required you to plug the Wii remote Directly into the system. (Note: these were NOT N-Dev units.)

spielvan and Sophie-bear like this.
  6. ToniLahma

ToniLahma Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2019
    Brazil
    Thanks for this project. I recently revived my old Wii and plan to perform many mods.

spielvan likes this.
  7. Brayton

Brayton GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2016
    United States
    Haha! I was gonna say that! The one on the bottom/side of the wii next to the fan?

spielvan likes this.
  8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Are you using a 3V AC adapter? It doesn't seem to be shown in the video.
    Edit: Oh, you're using a computer PSU? Seems like it would be cheaper and easier to use a 3V AC adapter.

brickmaker and spielvan like this.
  9. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Neato Burrito!

Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    in ur orbit
    Yep!

spielvan likes this.
  10. spielvan
    OP

spielvan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2016
    Brazil
  11. 98otiss

98otiss YoRHa Unit No.2 Type B

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    Bunker
    i feel like this would cause a fire but at the same time it shouldn't have that much power going through it.
    upload_2019-3-7_14-5-9.

spielvan likes this.
  12. spielvan
    OP

spielvan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2016
    Brazil
    The load coming out of the ATX source, pro wii remote is only 3.3v, and as the source has a cooler itself it does not heat up and even the wii remote does not heat up, I already played 3 hours ago without heating. A hug.:rofl2:

13. brickmaker

brickmaker Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2019
    Australia
    You could also fit a car battery in that box and use a 3VDC voltage regulator to keep it going for a while and then some. You definitely have a unique solution to a common problem. Pre-production concept prototype :yay: . To take full advantage of that power supply you could have a rotary main output switch to power all of your consoles that have a separate brick-style power supply. One at a time of course tapping into the correct voltage rails :!:

WiiU would need a voltage boost module from the 12V rail to hit 15V. XBOX 360, XBOX one and Wii original are all 12V. 5V rail output could power most hand helds including Wii U gamepad.

Last edited by brickmaker, Mar 9, 2019
    spielvan likes this.
  14. mac033

mac033 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2014
    United States
    my god this is dumb

why not drop 5v to 3.6 with a diode and connect via usb? battery bank compatible and you can also plug to a SMALL power converter or to your laptop

spielvan and brickmaker like this.
  15. brickmaker

brickmaker Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2019
    Australia
    A robust design it is! I was originally going to suggest a nuclear power-plant as the power source, but a car battery with my rough guesstimates would give it well over 6 months as a power source, so I figure that in itself is overkill enough! 3.3V max recommended voltage http://wyxs.net/web/wiiscan/wiiscan/wiihardware.pdf :rofl2::wacko:

spielvan likes this.
  16. spielvan
    OP

spielvan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2016
    Brazil
    You'll see why I did not have it available at home and I was not going to go out and buy it, but I had an ATX source stopping for soup. A hug.

brickmaker likes this.