Tiny SD card has more storage than my whole computer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some flagships have 8gb now, 6gb is becoming the norm.

OnePlus 5 - 6gb or 8gb
Galaxy Note 8 - 6gb
Lg G6+ - 6gb
HTC U11 - 4gb or 6gb
And I'm still stuck with 2GB and 8gb of storage with half of it filled up with the OS and preinstalled shit. Then there's the fact with each iteration of Android, external SD cards are made more and more unusable.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
And I'm still stuck with 2GB and 8gb of storage with half of it filled up with the OS and preinstalled shit. Then there's the fact with each iteration of Android, external SD cards are made more and more unusable.

2gb should be more than usable, however if the manufacturer has filled the phone with junk then i see the issue! 8gb on-board storage is limiting though, 32gb should be the absolute minimum these days.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
This is now a storage thread.

temp_eEaPbn.png

Incidentally, 1TB SSDs ain't cheap. I would know.

I also didn't plug in my two external 4TB drives here for the screenie, but let's just say it's 6TB/8TB used.

Last edited by chaoskagami,

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Because fuck you, that's why.

Anyways, these "cheaper, better" prices are more aimed at people who are not as tech savvy. They see a cheap computer, they buy it. Simple

EDIT: Please don't be offended by this post

The thing is, companies such as Dell make you focus on the look and feel of the laptop, and the resolution of the screen. But never actually tell you it's a shitty Intel Celeron Clocked at 1.50 GHz, 2 GB of DDR3/2 RAM, and Intel HD Graphics. Luckily, I look at the specs.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, companies such as Dell make you focus on the look and feel of the laptop, and the resolution of the screen. But never actually tell you it's a shitty Intel Celeron Clocked at 1.50 GHz, 2 GB of DDR3/2 RAM, and Intel HD Graphics. Luckily, I look at the specs.

Except you can buy a Dell laptop with a Xeon processor, so that point is slightly invalid. Also, Dell owns Alienware. A better example here would have been HP.

Their home offerings are shit, but the business ones are comparable to thinkpads plus if you're like me you can just outright skip Windows.

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:-(
View attachment 97925
Why do they even make computers with 128GB hard drives when memory is so cheap? My 128GB SD card only cost about $50, so it shouldn't add much if anything to the price. I really wouldn't mind the tablet being a mm or two thicker if it meant having twice or four times the space.
Flash memory like SD cards have limited write cycles and should never be used as a main storage device for a computer over say a traditional HDD where the number of writes have no link to the lifespan of the device. Using it as the main storage device in a computer is a good way to burn one out over a very long period. That said SSDs are flash memory as well but to reach their write limit you'd need to write 5GB a day every day for something like 5 years. What draws people to that option is it's high speed and combined with the fact that you wont't have to worry about magnetic platters breaking when it drops.

Last edited by Daggot,
Reactions: Quantumcat

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
The whole limited life cycle thing while true is overblown at this point. Flash memory now is really really good and for most users you are likely going to run out of space and upgrade rather then over use it.

Only time I can see u burning out flash memory if u are using them in server farms where GBS of data is beING written to each day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr