RELEASE Tinson A website for install NSP directly on Switch with Tinfoil

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by _gianno, Jul 24, 2019.

1. _gianno
    OP

_gianno Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2018
    Italy
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone! I'm here with a new little release on Switch scene: Tinson [​IMG] .
    I've developed a website which let you manage, on every device, a list of files which you want to install on your switch, without the use of cable etc...

Long story short: that's a private store with every NSP you want on it. The main difference with every other system is that you don't need to own those files directly. You can just grab a Homebrew (NSP format) on google drive from someone and put in your Tinson's repository.

I've already released an old version (made with PHP and JS) but the great limit is that you needed an hosting which could run PHP. Now that's no more required.

The website let you register yourself and login back to manage your list. You can login to the website from every device.
    NSP's will be installed on Switch with Tinfoil one of the most famous title manager for Switch (also everyone else which supports HTTPS could be supported).

I've seen a lot of questions on this. Tinson isn't the same as Tinfoil. It doesn't work as Tinfoil. It has been designed for manage a list of random Google Drive links and install them directly on Switch.
    I know that also Tinfoil do this but you DO NOT have to set every Google drive link inside Tinfoil with Tinson. Also you DO NOT have to set every folder in Tinfoil with Tinson.
    You've to set just a link in your switch and manage the repository directly from a website. So from every device without any trouble. Hope this will make everything clearer.

:arrow:Tinson

:arrow:GITHUB Repository

How to use correctly Tinson [​IMG].

1. Access the website tinson.herokuapp.com
    Main screen

2. Register, insert just a random username and a password. That's not absolutely made for security but they're just here for access the library on your Switch.
    Register screen

3. There we are! Dashboard! Have you seen the link right under the navigation bar? That's what will connect Tinson to our Switch.
    For now, insert a Google Drive link and assign it a name.

Listing of every files in repository

4. Finished! Now we have to launch Tinfoil on Switch and, on File Browser, press (X) for add a new source.
    Select HTTPS and type the link we've seen in dashboard (point 3). If you open this source you'll find the list of your files. Every time you'll update it on Tinson it will be auto updated on Switch.

Generated file by Tinson

For every issue please open a topic on issues tab on github.
    If it helps you please, consider leaving a star on github project :tearsofjoy:

Last edited by _gianno, Aug 19, 2019
  2. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Cool, will take a look at this next week. Thx for the work. :)

_gianno likes this.
  3. _gianno
    OP

_gianno Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2018
    Italy
    Thanks for your feedback!

lordelan likes this.
  4. orangpelupa

orangpelupa GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2009
    Indonesia
    By tinfoil you mean the original tinfoil or dz tinfoil?

Edit:
    Oh its dz tinfoil

5. _gianno
    OP

_gianno Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2018
    Italy
    I think it works for every NSP installer which is compatible with https connections.
    EDIT: Seems like only dz tinfoil has https connections support. So yes. I mean dz tinfoil at the moment.

Last edited by _gianno, Jul 24, 2019
  6. duonglv

duonglv Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2016
    Is there a way to add Google Drive Folder instead of adding every single file?

7. _gianno
    OP

_gianno Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2018
    Italy
    Yes I’m working on it. It’s pretty simple. It’s going to be released today or at least tomorrow

Mambila2001, duonglv and lordelan like this.
  8. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it's a little big for an emoticon, but you can use the github fallback img link? [​IMG]
    edit: oh, it's not exactly the same than your icon on github.

Last edited by Cyan, Jul 29, 2019
  9. _gianno
    OP

_gianno Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2018
    Italy
    Oh thanks! It’s for sure prettier than the one I’ve set! Thanks!

I’ll resize it when I’m home.

Last edited by _gianno, Jul 29, 2019
  10. Ty_

Ty_ GBAtemp Fan

May 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Nice. Use PHP a ton for my day job, I'm more curious about the development side of this than using it to install games

11. _gianno
    OP

_gianno Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2018
    Italy
    Thank you for your interest! I've made it all with Node for backend and React for frontend. My first version (Just Tinson without emote) has been made with PHP and vanilla JS if you want to compare those versions.

You can find everything on github.

ioann1s and Ty_ like this.
  12. _gianno
    OP

_gianno Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2018
    Italy
    Now it supports also Google drive folders. You can find a new toggle on dashboard to select which links you want to save.
    Note: this functionality is still in beta. Please report any problems in issues tab on Github.

I've made a little shitty code for implementing it pretty fast. I'll refactor it when I've time (and fancy)

Rellik630, duonglv and ioann1s like this.
  13. Rellik630

Rellik630 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2019
    United States
    Any plans to add XCI support? Tinfoil can install XCI files as well, and this would just round it off for people with a full collection. Other than that, folder support is working beautifully. Thanks for the great work!

14. _gianno
    OP

_gianno Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2018
    Italy
    Thanks for your report. I’ve to check if is the same process of nsp I can make it with no issues at all.

Rellik630 likes this.
  15. Underprivlidged

Underprivlidged Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    I find it weird that the link for the games list includes the password itself for the account. Wouldn't it make more sense to generate a random string to end the link, or even encode the password to then use?

16. designgears

designgears GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2016
    United States
    Sounds like someone inexperienced built this is all, they should probably do some research on how to do that properly.

17. Cubuss

Cubuss GBAtemp Fan

Aug 4, 2017
    Netherlands
    High Quality Shitposter
    Molto bene

18. _gianno
    OP

_gianno Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2018
    Italy
    Yes should be a lot better but I’ve made this project just for studying react and node. I’ve never used them before and I usually start practicing following a real useful project. That’s all.

And yes, I’m completely newbie to this kind of things. I’m sorry that I’ve not follow the best way but I’ve excluded all the authentication stuff. I had only 3 days for do this in my summer holidays lol

I could use directly a http authentication for the repository. I’ve to think on that.

Last edited by _gianno, Aug 4, 2019
    ioann1s and designgears like this.
  19. Underprivlidged

Underprivlidged Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    I would be really excited if you at least changed how the link was created, yes.

Though. I cloned your original Tinson, and tried hosting it just to try it out. Everything seemed fine, except Tinfoil wouldn't parse any links from my switch.json, so will continue to use the Tinson Node until I work that out.

20. _gianno
    OP

_gianno Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2018
    Italy
    That’s an old version please do not use it anymore. I’ve discontinued it. I’ve to change the README of that project.

I’ll fix the authentication next week. If you want you can fork Tinson-node.

Bigkahuna28 likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted