1. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I just enjoy laughing at the crazy paranoia peoppe have and the things they think a dev will do. Use it or dont use it :huh: Its up to you. But imo its clearly the superior choice for installing games and updates.
    Adding incognito into the app itself seems be a good addition!

Tinfoil works fine for me :D So do the shops :huh:

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Incognito is apparently going to be separated into its own app once again, so we're only talking about the Firmware tab in the long-run. Instead of locking the user out of the entire app when the necessary kip is absent, it makes a LOT more sense to merely disable the Firmware tab when the aforementioned kip is absent.

Edit: Also, while I think the kip is harmless, people are bringing up very real concerns that shouldn't be dismissed as "use it or don't use it" when everyone can easily be made happy.

Last edited by Lacius, Feb 6, 2020
    sillz likes this.
  3. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Are you still trying to Install the HBG NSP? Not needed anymore. Just get rid of that. You should not be trying to Install ANY NSPs during this process.

4. komabear

komabear Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Bulgaria
    I'm ignoring everything you said because you base it on "I've heard this" and "I've heard that" with no concrete proof whatsoever. Forcing users to give NAND access to use this app is shady at best.

In any case you can choose to believe what you've heard and I'll choose to believe what I want, it's pretty much the same without any source. Here's hoping that nothing bad comes out of it though. Good luck! :creep:

5. Skirlez

Skirlez GBAtemp Regular

Israel
    So if I understand correctly you believe that blawar wants to erase your entire NAND or are you saying it's possible?

6. komabear

komabear Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Bulgaria
    I'm not sure what is and isn't possible - what I'm sure of is that if a random app that doesn't have a open source asks for NAND access, you should always say no. No matter what a rando tells you in Discord, lol.

But like I said before, you do you!

7. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    The kip very likely only disables protections that get in the way of the functions of the Firmware and Incognito tabs. If @blawar hasn't released the source for the kip yet, then he will probably do so in the future (that's what he did before when he forked Atmosphere to remove certain protections). I would also heavily encourage blawar to make the kip (and the Firmware and Incognito tabs) optional.

tabzer likes this.
  8. komabear

komabear Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Bulgaria
    Good choice of words. In any case, when the source comes out I'll gladly go back to using it, but I wouldn't advise anyone to give access to something this important without any clue of what's actually happening, or why they need to do so.

It seems that with each new update tinfoil only gets worse, but hey, what would you expect from a homophobic hater that adores Trump? Here's hoping someone else comes with a similar app without all this bullshit in the future. Cheers!

9. Skirlez

Skirlez GBAtemp Regular

Israel
    "homophobic hater that adores trump"
    All of that has been removed already. I don't know why people even paid attention to that in the first place, those were clearly memes.
    Also you don't seem to understand the app requires writing to cal0 for incognito because "or why they need to do so". It doesn't require you to disable that for no reason, that would be extremely shady.

Last edited by Skirlez, Feb 6, 2020
  10. GnK23

OP GnK23 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Please make another thread if you want to ask questions. This does not answer my question.

Also for the record I have no problem with hbg or jake.
    My problem is the latest nut.exe not doing it's job with tinfoil 8.0.1 when browsing for installable nsp nsz xci or xcz. It just return with cannot access nsp regardless of which I choose. I guess im just going back to tinfoil 7.0.1 since no answer is given for my questio

11. supahot708

supahot708 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I have a similar problems but instead of an error when downloading from nut, nut wont connect with tinfoil at all(nsusbloader does connect though). im running 9.1.0 with atmosphere 0.10.2 and the tinfoil from the discord link found earlier in this thread, also i have my switch setup with emmnand.

12. _Draikon_

_Draikon_ Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    He posted a diff between his kip and the stock AMS kip on his discord, he simply removed the ~20 lines that enable the protections.

Lacius likes this.
  13. blawar

blawar Developer
    Developer

United States
    i would not argue with him too much. The fact is, anyone can erase your nand in original unmodified atmosphere. He is offering his opinion without actually knowing what he is talking about.

@Lacius the part you are missing is that there is NO way for tinfoils features to work unless atmosphere is forked. You can’t set a flag, you have to fork it. And I’m adding more and more features that write to nand. I might release a real account linker soon, and that requires nand access as well. I freely admit that part of this is autism, I am not interested in maintaining or troubleshooting various different environments. And telling people it’s not supported does not work, I have clearly stated that tinfoil does not work with hekate, yet people keep flooding support with hekate issues. I will snuff out these support issues or simply stop releasing for atmosphere.

Part of the reason tinfoil switched to a nsp: no acid patches means tinfoil won’t boot. So that solves that issue. You will notice a theme of demanding a standardized environment.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also, just to reiterate, you don’t need my kip, you can fork your own atmosphere and remove the bis write code and tinfoil will happily run. All tinfoil cares about is that it can write to nand.

14. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Tinfoil functioned just fine without the removal of the bis write code. The Incognito and Firmware tabs require it, but they're not the core functions of Tinfoil most people care about. In other words, requiring the disabling of the bis write code is pointless for most users. As I've said to you numerous times before, software that requires the modification of an OS (particularly one that removed a security feature) can arguably be considered malicious. Requiring the modification because a feature requires it is one thing, but Tinfoil's features don't require it: Firmware and Incognito do.

Tinfoil functioned just fine as a homebrew app before it was made to be a standalone NSP install, and there are various reasons why one might prefer the former over the latter. Requiring an NSP install because it requires patches that Tinfoil needs for certain NSP installs anyway seems redundant, not to mention cumbersome.

I am not going to address the points about Hekate and Kosmos, since I don't recommend the use of the latter.

I'm trying to be objective here, so please do not take offense. You've done a lot of good work.

tabzer and TheNamesan like this.
  15. Velvis70

Velvis70 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Just make the kip nand part optional. Seems like a no-brainer. I have no interest in the features it provides.

Broduskii and Lacius like this.
  16. Th3one

Th3one Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So this line fixes the error for the unable to read nand on tinfoil 8.01 on atmosphere 10.2?
    Also doe sit work if I'm running atmosphere in the emunand and not the sysnand?

17. Bloodgod

Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
    hey whats up guys? New to Switch scene. Can anyone help me with backing up files to NSP(?) from games I got from HBG/Tinfoil. THanks

18. yimejky

yimejky Newbie
    Newcomer

Slovakia
    Had problem with booting with that KIP file on AMS 0.10.1. Confirming that this tutorial fixed my problems. Thx mate.

EDIT: somebody has problems with Change view button (-)? Not working for me since 7.x.x

Last edited by yimejky, Feb 8, 2020
    Smoker1 likes this.
  19. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Oh, after the KIP has been Installed, there are those saying to stop using Hekate to start the System, that it is not compatible with Tinfoil..........nope. I tested Hekate (a older Version), and it still worked perfectly.
    Hekate that still works - Hekate 4.6

sillz likes this.
  20. Naxster

Naxster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    So would this work if we use Atmosphere 0.10.1 and Fusee-secondary??

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - TINFOIL,