Time to jump off the N-card boat?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by FireEmblemGuy, Sep 8, 2007.

Sep 8, 2007
  1. FireEmblemGuy
    OP

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Let's face it: the N-card is pretty much dead.

It's been ages since we've seen a FW update, aside from th UFP/MK5/DS-Linker ones to bring them up to par with the N-Card. Just about all the main sites seem to be down, and have been for months. Newer cards are being released, with more features, decent pricing, and built in memory- isn't that why we bought them? Good compatibility, low prices, and built in memory? Now, however, we're seeing name-brand Slot-1 cards such as the G6 and the MK6 coming out with those qualities, as well as the upcoming ones like the Acekard RPG and the rumored new M3/R4 models. Newer batches of N-cards seem to be experiencing more problems,and old ones, like the ones paul1991 pointed out, fail to be fixed. In this infinitely expanding universe of Slot-1 flashcarts, the N-Card and its knockoffs seem to be falling away from the people's wants and needs, and it would seem their creators and manufacturers seem to realize this. This seems to be the end of the line for the N-Card.

Questions? Comments? Flames? Feel free to post them.

2. zatelli

Member zatelli GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Even if what you said were to be true, does it impede from the card's functionality, features, compatibility ..
    Their main site is perhaps down at present, I concede, but even if they were to drop support on their card, it still wouldn't mean OEM based on that card are dead: team neoflash or independent developers might keep the updates rolling.
    Yet do we really need those? The lastest firmware already introduced download play (partial), what else would one expect from flashcard in general? [​IMG]

3. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Well for a start the n-card hasn't really needed an update because everything seems to be working except a few games with download play. Also The n-card team are always on msn (one of them is on at the moment).

I wouldn't exactly call it ages since we have had a firmware update, People seem to be more demanding when it comes to flash cards these days.

I would also like to say we cant really comment about how many faulty n-cards there is because we dont have any figures.

Also the acekard, g6 real,MK6 will/are be far more expensive than the n-card.

I really dont see what your unhappy about [​IMG]

4. biz387

Newcomer biz387 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    what games dont work? I dont use cheats, but would like 100% download play other than cheats what doesnt your ncard do?

5. Porkdish

Member Porkdish GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    The websites for the n-card have never been much use anyway, Its kind of funny to see some lamenting their loss.

Its a great card for rom compatibility. The other features are icing that owners of other cards seem to get way too excited about just because its something to add an extra bullet point to their list to justify their own purchase.

If you want the icing, jump ship but why shit on the n-card which is still a fine little card that still gets great development?. Its never been about the websites or hand holding users.

6. quartercast

Member quartercast GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    While I do miss the almost daily N-card firmware updates, I don't see the need to "jump ship". If it still works well, what's the big deal?

7. metalcaipira

Newcomer metalcaipira Member

Brazil
    I agree with you guys. I have Ncard for months and like it a lot. It's great flashcard with low price.

8. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    I think the Ncard is the Best! I like it better than my R4,Which I am considering selling.
    I like the teams other products(There are only 4 I have 2) and we dont need an update for anything important.
    All roms will play, if not with all features.
    Ill never jump ship.

9. hakdizzle

Member hakdizzle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    True N-card fan

10. Rankio

Member Rankio GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If the N-Card had boobs you'd find a reason not to like it.

Jump ship and spend your money on a G6 then. It just leaves room for another N-Card buyer to come aboard and everyone is happy.

11. NightCrawlerz

Newcomer NightCrawlerz Newbie

Indonesia
    well, if what you said is true than i'll be happy to come on board.. however... some of us had this save problems... and we still haven't found how to fix this -__-"... it made me think.. is the n-card really that good? i think my bro's R4 works better... for the saving at least...

12. wilsey

Newcomer wilsey Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    the calm before the storm [​IMG]

updates are coming, be patient, really at the minute this card plays all games fine and 90% homebrew and cost a shit load less that other cards, i dont see the problem

13. zombielove

Member zombielove GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    It does everything I want it to. I hardly ever check N-Card news these days - I have no problems, so I just spend my time actually playing DS.

I'm just going to keep my N-Card until it breaks. Then I'll get whatever looks good at that time - if it broke tomorrow I'd probably get a Cyclo DS Evo or Acekard RPG.

I'd definitely support the N-Card team if they decide to bring out a new flash cart - hopefully something similar to Acekard with internal memory and SDHC.