Time to ditch the PS Vita I think.

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Steve Antony Williams, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Steve Antony Williams
    OP

Steve Antony Williams Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2016
    Seeing as it doesn't look like the Vita is going to be hacked there seems little point in keeping it. Shame really as I would have enjoyed homebrew emulators on it and the like. So the damn thing is just sitting in the drawer gathering dust. Disappointing :(

2. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    juat because a system isnt getting any hacking attention does not make it useless. That system has better security than the ps4 and xb1. So why would any one want to waste time trying to hack a system that has the equivalent security of Guantanamo Bay? Well, besides yiffinlu and the cobra black fin team.

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino for Hire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I don't think the PSV has a better security then the XBone.
    We'll see once all the consoles has been reverse engineered tho.

But the PSV isn't hacked cause it hasn't gathered much momentum.
    The adoption rate is poorly and overall, interest in the device wasn't what Sony hoped for.

4. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    The Xbone already has a dos box emulator running I believe, and that only a few short years after launch. While the ps vita took almost 4 years to even get native code running at all. All the vita has is psp emu stuff that no one cares about anymore. The only piracy that thing will get is from black fin, which mostly no one will buy because vita games are becoming cheap and that device costs $80 and also has to preform online checks before you can even load a game while another person must have it inserted into the dongle. And this was also patched in firmware 3.60 as well. Sony really screwed up on how they launched the system, then they made it worse by pulling apps and trying to make it an indie dev platform.

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino for Hire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    That one is built with UWP.
    It's not 'real' homebrew, nor is the thing hacked.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  6. Nirmonculus

Nirmonculus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2014
    I actually just bought a ps vita slim red/black, because it was only $40 and looks almost new with an 8gb mc. I just hacked it for psp emulation but am looking forward to buying a few titles. Yeah, a few people I know have gotten rid of their vita consoles.

Maybe it is dead, I wouldn't really complain with how much I paid for it. I'm enjoying it, playing Final Fantasy Type 0 there is really good.

It's damn shame, it's a very good handheld device.

LoyalZero1 likes this.
  7. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    I have always loved the Vita because of it's rather powerful hardware (for a handheld at least.), however, I don't feel fully confident that the Vita has ever reached its maximum potential like it should be doing. To top it off, not many developers to this day really want to make a game or two for it either! :(

I have always been following the Vita hacking scene because of the fact that I am a game developer looking to find ways of making games without having to buy the appropriate development hardware via Sony (plus, I'm still way too young to be signing up for such hardware still. :C ), but even if there is still no way to make actual native Vita homebrew in the form of proper applications; Vita homebrew bubbles appearing on the home screen etc; I still won't be too annoyed since I have PSM dev for Unity so I can at least make a decent-enough 3D game for the Vita. :)

But my game-designing hobby aside, I know almost everyone following this scene wants to pirate games on the Vita, however if the future looks bleak (which it sort of does, by the way) just use this device to actually buy the rather cheap games, and support the developers while you can! That's basically how I feel about the whole situation anyway...

8. Nirmonculus

Nirmonculus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2014
    I say we should keep it alive. All these rumors and negativity is not what the Vita needs.

Now that console prices are dropping and I hope that the proprietary cards become reasonably affordable soon enough, now is actually a good time to have a vita because they have established a good library of games already.
    I mean the whole ps1 and psp library was enough for me to have one. The Vita also have great titles on its own and they are not expensive. It's sleek and sexy design feels great to hold, the sounds are great too, and fantastic high res screen, among others.

Brand new games for Vita like Uncharted costs less than $20 on Amazon.

LoyalZero1 and Voxel like this.
  9. xy2_

xy2_ GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2016
    France
    Actually if you want to pirate just follow my tutorials, they are up for a reason (that reason being blackfin.) Don't make it look like the vita has good anti-piracy, it's actually pretty poor (making entire system backups, what could possibly go wrong?!?) Homebrew is another case, regarding that the vita is just sandboxes over sandboxes and pretty much fort knox.

Otherwhise I don't really understand the point of this thread. Thanks for the statement? If you want something to do with your handheld, buy games, I guess.

Bubsy Bobcat likes this.
  10. Luglige

Luglige Resident Hell Spawn

Jan 24, 2016
    Antarctica
    under your bed
    Hey, you can sell it too me :P

11. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat vegtebales

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    Hey that's MY line! :angry:

I only have a small handful of Vita games, and the only one I actually played through fully is Tearaway.

Shadowfied, nxwing and Luglige like this.
  12. Luglige

Luglige Resident Hell Spawn

Jan 24, 2016
    Antarctica
    under your bed
    Lol

13. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    sold mine this weekend .. i dont feel bad about never touching it now its gone :)

Subtle Demise likes this.
  14. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    My Vita has been collecting dust forever pretty much. I still don't regret it, solely because of Persona 4 Golden, but damn, there's just really nothing to do with it..and I really wish I was just talking in terms of hacking and homebrew....

Subtle Demise likes this.
  15. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i will gladly accept a free ps vita, since jesus doesn't actually give free psp's :( it's just a lie :(

16. Phearoz

Phearoz Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2015
    United States
    Sellersburg, Indiana
    I'm also very sad about the Vita too. I bought it day one because the last time I bought a Sony handheld day-one it was hacked within 1 months time and we were doing so much cool stuff on it.

Also I love trying all the weird loli games even if I don't play more than 3 hours of each but I can't afford to buy 'em. I have around 30 vita games but there are another 100+ I would have played for a bit if it were free. Yes I'm a pirate.

17. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    I'd be happy if it just had a better library. Sure, hacking is a plus and is fun but in the end it's about the library for me.

18. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I don't really think people should buy a console on the pure expectation that it will be hacked... I absolutely do not regret my purchase and use the handheld on a daily basis. Of course having retro emulators/homebrew (not backup loaders) would be nice, but with the library the Vita has, it's not essential.

19. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    I'm sorry, but i do :/
    It might be the piracy, it might be the fact that its fun watching a nes/snes game playing ona a PS system.

maybe its just me, but i always enjoy having my consoles hacked.
    And just as a note, i dont normally use them, as example, i can use them once in a month, however, i do enjoy softmodding [AKA wii/vwii/ps3/psp]/hardmodding them[AKA rgh/ps3].

20. Steve Antony Williams
    OP

Steve Antony Williams Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2016
    I kinda hoped also the PS Vita would run PS2 games at some point, like the PSP runs PS1. Some great JRPGs on PS2 I'd love to play on a handheld.

Shadowfied likes this.