Hacking Time to clean up O3DSXL

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, have an R4i Gold Plus (w/NTR Boot & small magnet).

I got it so I could Luma some 2DS', but I have had my O3DSXL for a while, already CFWed. However, the mSD is almost full and I have no idea how to clean it up.

Is it possible to remove CFW and start over again, and use R4i to re-install CFW again giving me a fresh start?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, have an R4i Gold Plus (w/NTR Boot & small magnet).

I got it so I could Luma some 2DS', but I have had my O3DSXL for a while, already CFWed. However, the mSD is almost full and I have no idea how to clean it up.

Is it possible to remove CFW and start over again, and use R4i to re-install CFW again giving me a fresh start?
Before we do anything hasty, let's see what your options are. If you hold Select while powering on the O3DS, which version of Luma3DS is displayed at the top of the configuration page?

Osmosis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luma3DS v8.1.1

Sys 11.6.0-39U

Sd Card open Blocks = 92,592 of a 128gb mSD

Last edited by Osmosis,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, you should copy the boot.firm from Luma3DS v9.0 onto the root of your SD card.

Second, please post a picture of the root of your SD card so we can see if there's anything that can definitely be deleted.

I'm guessing you have a lot of games installed, yes? Deleting those will free up some space, too.

Osmosis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, you should copy the boot.firm from Luma3DS v9.0 onto the root of your SD card.

Second, please post a picture of the root of your SD card so we can see if there's anything that can definitely be deleted.

I'm guessing you have a lot of games installed, yes? Deleting those will free up some space, too.

Actually, I haven't touched it since I did the whole transfer to N3DSXL. So at this point, nothing is left. No homebrew mods, just FBI.

FBI is telling me SD 11.3 GiB, CTR NAND 361.8, TWL 138.2 and TWL Photo 32.6.

FBI ver 2.3.2

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I haven't touched it since I did the whole transfer to N3DSXL. So at this point, nothing is left. No homebrew mods, just FBI.

FBI is telling me SD 11.3 GiB, CTR NAND 361.8, TWL 138.2 and TWL Photo 32.6.

FBI ver 2.3.2
If you're 100% sure there's nothing on your SD card that matters (games, saves, etc.), then I would do the following in order:
  1. Reformat the SD card.
  2. Put the Luma3DS 9.0 boot.firm onto the root of your SD card.
  3. Put the Homebrew Launcher boot.3dsx onto the root of your SD card.
  4. Follow the Finalizing Setup guide to make sure you've done everything else that's recommended.
This will give you the fresh start you're looking for.

Edit: Optionally, you could also format your 3DS. This won't remove CFW, but it will reset just about everything else. If you choose to format your 3DS, you should still do the four steps listed above.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Osmosis

Osmosis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're 100% sure there's nothing on your SD card that matters (games, saves, etc.), then I would do the following in order:
  1. Reformat the SD card.
  2. Put the Luma3DS 9.0 boot.firm onto the root of your SD card.
  3. Put the Homebrew Launcher boot.3dsx onto the root of your SD card.
  4. Follow the Finalizing Setup guide to make sure you've done everything else that's recommended.
This will give you the fresh start you're looking for.

Edit: Optionally, you could also format your 3DS. This won't remove CFW, but it will reset just about everything else. If you choose to format your 3DS, you should still do the four steps listed above.

Ok... so should I remove mSD and then format? Or just go into settings and reformat?

Osmosis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Following "Finalizing" Guide, when I hold START on startup, I get an ARM9 dump.

Osmosis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, problem solved. I had to unzip the boot.firm file and copy it to root. Followed through rest of finalizing. All cleaned up. Disabled Sending of Information, no NNID associated yet. Now to get the rest of my apps back on and download games.

Only issue I have is that H&S Information icon is still set to FBI,would like to restore it back to normal.

What about updating sysNAND without SD card?

Reactions: LameNobody

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, problem solved. I had to unzip the boot.firm file and copy it to root. Followed through rest of finalizing. All cleaned up. Disabled Sending of Information, no NNID associated yet. Now to get the rest of my apps back on and download games.

Only issue I have is that H&S Information icon is still set to FBI,would like to restore it back to normal.

What about updating sysNAND without SD card?
Take a look at https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...ime-step-history-and-cached-icon-data.439485/ for clearing the icon cache.

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country

I was going to create a new thread but will try asking here instead, I have a o3ds xl, n3ds xl and a 2ds on b9s v1.2 luma 8.1. Do I need to update to B9S 1.3 to update luma to 9.0?

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
You do not have to update B9S to 1.3.

Think it’s been a year since I updated from A9LH to B9S, along with updating to Luma 9.0 should I update anything else?
The FW of the 2DS I updated to 11.7 today, the other two are both on 11.4(I meant to update to 11.6 but never got around to it, going to wait and see if there’s any bad things in 11.7 before updating).

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think it’s been a year since I updated from A9LH to B9S, along with updating to Luma 9.0 should I update anything else?
The FW of the 2DS I updated to 11.7 today, the other two are both on 11.4(I meant to update to 11.6 but never got around to it, going to wait and see if there’s any bad things in 11.7 before updating).
If you're using B9S 1.2 or 1.3, then you really only need to update Luma3DS to 9.0. If you're using a very old version of B9S (1.0-1.1), then you will need to update B9S as well. Which version of Luma3DS are you currently using? If you're not sure, hold Select while powering on the 3DS.

If you have B9S and Luma3DS installed, there's no reason not to update to 11.7.

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
If you're using B9S 1.2 or 1.3, then you really only need to update Luma3DS to 9.0. If you're using a very old version of B9S (1.0-1.1), then you will need to update B9S as well. Which version of Luma3DS are you currently using? If you're not sure, hold Select while powering on the 3DS.

If you have B9S and Luma3DS installed, there's no reason not to update to 11.7.

As mentioned currently on 8.1 on all 3 systems, GM9 is 1.21 while the latest is 1.63 should I update that?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nothing broken for cfw users

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr