Hardware Time for the scene to prove itself?

slaysme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright guys. It's time to prove the value of home brew, of using the full capabilities of a system. It's either that or the cart companies, but I think that this could really turn things around for the good. At this point in time, allowing home brew and even piracy would only increase sales of the system. Let it happen for a while, then when the console is faring better, lock it back down. A few sales are better by far than none, and even the software would see a boost in sales, simply because any talk about a game is good publicity, to an extent. Then nintendo could use the programs that were written for the carts, def, whatever, and adapt them to official system functions. everyone wins.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wat.

You think that, Nintendo allowing people to pirate on the system will make it more popular? What the hell are you smoking? Nintendo hates piracy with a passion. And 80% of Nintendo's market doesn't even have a clue about what piracy is.

naved.islam14

Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™
Trophies
XP
Country
Wtf are you saying, if there is too much piracy on a console and its games, companies won't release games because they won't have good profits.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
slaysme said:
Alright guys. It's time to prove the value of home brew, of using the full capabilities of a system. It's either that or the cart companies, but I think that this could really turn things around for the good. At this point in time, allowing home brew and even piracy would only increase sales of the system. Let it happen for a while, then when the console is faring better, lock it back down. A few sales are better by far than none, and even the software would see a boost in sales, simply because any talk about a game is good publicity, to an extent. Then nintendo could use the programs that were written for the carts, def, whatever, and adapt them to official system functions. everyone wins.

Stop sticking the stylus in your ear, it's damaging your brain.

slaysme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, wow. The point was more about 3d homebrew live video player and recorder, freeware and independent games, flash for browser, etc. I'm just being realistic that if you can do that, you can most likely play pirated games.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slaysme said:
Ok, wow. The point was more about 3d homebrew live video player and recorder, freeware and independent games, flash for browser, etc. I'm just being realistic that if you can do that, you can most likely play pirated games.
Nintendo will never open their development to "homebrew". Unfortunately, the only way to really develop for the system and have Nintendo look at it is to get yourself an SDK for 20,000 dollars.

And Nintendo, like I said, HATES pirates. They'll never give us an opportunity to pirate on their system.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thats poo, its like me trying to sell my house, but I wanna get a good price for it so I allow prospective buyers too move in first, let them stay for a month or 2 so they get comfortable and then slap them with a $600k bill.

Like my metaphor completely horse crap

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Lol.

Nintendo hates homebrew as much as it hates piracy, maybe more. They have said on numerous occasions that they have no intention of allowing homebrew coders anywhere near their systems, that is why their developer system is so strict. The cart companies don't initially hack the system either, homebrew coders/hackers do and they do it out of curiosity not for a want of piracy. If the 3DS is a lot different on the inside, it wont be the cart companies that figure it out.

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-very-stupid.jpg
To put it more bluntly; no. It will never happen.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
They would never deliberately allow piracy on their own console, even less a new console, allowing it a little and pirates/hackers will find more holes and the console will be fully hacked, there's no "few time and stop it when they want".

To allow homebrew, the only way would be an official limited development kit and environment for everyone.
But Nintendo don't like homebrew developers, they don't give tools to make "official homebrew" software.
This is not Microsoft and Xbox.

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's a good idea. Open the system allowing HOMEBREW with at way to prevent hacking. Allowing unsigned code using another program. If Nintendo would let me code, even in basic or Qbasic code,... and share it to others ?? That would be a start.

Pip'

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Everybody in the industry seems to be saying the Apple Way is the right way. They give away free sdk's and encourage garage development. Shouldn't Nintendo follow suit as well? There's hope if the industry keeps the pressure on them to conform, but Nintendo doesn't change it's ways easily.

the thought of "bob's game" on the 3DS probably keeps Iwata up at night
tongue.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Native homebrew certainly couldn't hurt, but I think the recent announcement of an $80 price drop is going to help the system greatly.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slaysme said:
1. It ALWAYS comes to the fucking video and flash player with you people doesnt it?

2. You do know that about 65% of indie games are cheep java/lua based clones of arcade games right? Do you think nintendo is in a rush to have fortresscraft on 3DS?

3. NOTHING about this topic is realistic. A Game company, no ANY company, Is going to hand out dev kits and source codes so that marty can make his stupid "s00par m4rty0 braz" game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: