Tileset and tilemap creator for gba homebrew

hex-choco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I was wondering if there is a program that I can use to create tilesets, not just tilemaps. I've tried Tilemap Studio, but I cannot create and export tilesets. I'm looking for a program like GBTD is for the gameboy. Thanks.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't say I have used GBTD, and most times I find myself replacing tiles in commercial games so tend not to have to do much from the ground up, however several of the tile editors will import PNG and BMP and their editing functionality can probably get things sliced up nicely and be able to shuffle things around pixel by pixel.

hex-choco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't say I have used GBTD, and most times I find myself replacing tiles in commercial games so tend not to have to do much from the ground up, however several of the tile editors will import PNG and BMP and their editing functionality can probably get things sliced up nicely and be able to shuffle things around pixel by pixel.
Yeah, but the various programs I've tried don't let me export the tilesets. I can verify this by checking the c file, which only has the tilemap data.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi, I was wondering if there is a program that I can use to create tilesets, not just tilemaps. I've tried Tilemap Studio, but I cannot create and export tilesets. I'm looking for a program like GBTD is for the gameboy. Thanks.
Tilesets are just raw image data so once converted to the proper GBA format (using a tool like Wingrit or Bimbo, both of which I have personally used but there are other tools, those may not be the best ones to use) you could even use an ordinary hex editor to inject the data into the ROM if you like. Although I used armips to automate it, but that requires writing asm-like scripts.
Tile Molester (which is what you would often use to extract images out of retro ROMs for modification) can also inject images it seems, so that might be the easiest. But if the new file is larger than the old one, you'll have to modify the pointers in the ROM manually.

Edit: Oh, for homebrew. I guess you just need the converted raw image data out of Wingrit, Bimbo or similar and you'll be able to import it into your code the same way you import other files, no need for Tile Molester or a hex editor.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: hex-choco

hex-choco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tilesets are just raw image data so once converted to the proper GBA format (using a tool like Wingrit or Bimbo, both of which I have personally used but there are other tools, those may not be the best ones to use) you could even use an ordinary hex editor to inject the data into the ROM if you like. Although I used armips to automate it, but that requires writing asm-like scripts.
Tile Molester (which is what you would often use to extract images out of retro ROMs for modification) can also inject images it seems, so that might be the easiest. But if the new file is larger than the old one, you'll have to modify the pointers in the ROM manually.

Edit: Oh, for homebrew. I guess you just need the converted raw image data out of Wingrit, Bimbo or similar and you'll be able to import it into your code the same way you import other files, no need for Tile Molester or a hex editor.
Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

djedditt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can use Tiled in combination with my GBA export plugins and Grit or Usenti for GBA development. Tiled can export to png, and Grit/Usenti allows conversion to source data (automate that into your build script for example). My custom export plugins export the tilemap data from Tiled to formats that can be directly loaded into GBA VRAM. There might be easier ways, however this setup works great for me. Maybe I should look into adding image export options to Tiled for exporting to GBA image data directly, skipping the need for Grit/Usenti.. one day!

https://thorbjorn.itch.io/tiled
https://github.com/djedditt/tiled-to-gba-export/
https://www.coranac.com/projects/grit/
https://www.coranac.com/projects/usenti/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: From what people say pvp isn't even worth it