TI-84 plus broken?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sc4rFac3d, Sep 21, 2006.

Sep 21, 2006

TI-84 plus broken? by Sc4rFac3d at 6:53 PM (1,845 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Sc4rFac3d
    OP

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    Hey, I just bought a TI-84 plus for school a few weeks ago. it was working fine and all until today. I had it in my bag along with a little drink package and somehow it got ripped apart and the whole thing leaked in my bag. By the time I noticed it was all over my books and also some on the top of the calculator (where the USB port is). I wiped it clean and checked if it worked. It seemed to go on so I turned it back off. Then a few hours later I tried to put it on again but it didn't go on anymore. So are there any people who know whats going on, chip dead or something or is there a solution? I don't really want to spend another €100. [​IMG]

2. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Take out the batteries (including the small round one if it's anything like my ti83) and put it in a warm spot for a while like above a heater or something (just not too hot, you don't want parts melting either [​IMG]) then after a few days give it another try. I'm not saying it'll work, but in theory, as long as nothing has fried from you turning it on while it was wet, it *could* work if it dries up again.

3. Heinrisch

Member Heinrisch GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    go to the store and say that your calculator that you recently bought does not work.. they will probably exchange it

4. Squiffy

Member Squiffy GBATemp's Little Embarrassment

Ireland
    Exactly the same happened with my TI83+. It sort of worked after cleaning the insides, but then gave up the ghost soon after. I should try it again sometime.

5. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    If the drying out doesn't work then it's probably worth seeing if you can slip it past their warranty. Store exchange would be your best bet cause they won't check inside the unit before replacing it [​IMG]

6. Sc4rFac3d
    OP

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    Thanks for the responses guys. I let it dry and put the batteries back in. It still didn't go on, so I figured it could be the batteries. I tried to switch the round one with another one. It didn't really look the same on one side but it was the same size so I tried it out anyway. After that I put the aaa batteries back in and pressed the on button. For a few seconds the screen sort of flashed and from what I could read it said "TI-84 plus" and under it it said ''RAM cleared". And it then went off and I couldn't put it back on. So does that mean it isn't broken? Is there something I can do? Or should I just go to the store I bought it from?