Thumb stylus for DS Lite

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by pelago, Aug 15, 2006.

Aug 15, 2006

Thumb stylus for DS Lite by pelago at 8:15 PM (1,607 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. pelago
    OP

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    I've got a DS Lite and so didn't get the thumb strap that Nintendo put in with the original DS pack. I've never used the thumb strap but I've heard it's good for games like Mario 64, as it allows you to use the touch screen more like having your thumb on an analogue stick, compared to using the normal stylus.

Does anyone know if there are thunb styluses available separately? I don't really need it to be a strap, just something that goes onto my thumb. Any recommendations?

2. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah, you can order one separately from Nintendo's online store. I myself don't think it's that great to use as an alternative to an analog stick but it may work pretty well if you're having trouble with diagonals with the Lite's d-pad. I thought using the d-pad in SM64 on the original DS was alot easier and more comfortable and yes I know there ain't no analog stick but the DS' d-pad works pretty damn good with these games.

There are some people that will still prefer using the thumb strap and I won't stop ya if you wanna get one. It's only about 4 bucks and it's pretty neat as it's a wrist strap that doubles as a thumb stylus.

3. pelago
    OP

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks for that. Are there any third-party alternatives?

4. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well seems you want to get something like a thumb stylus then. If that's what you're looking for, I'd recommend you get the thumb strap from Nintendo. I heard if you live outside the US and Japan, you could probably e-mail or call the Nintendo of your country and if they don't have any up for sale, maybe they'll ship you one for free (well maybe with some proof that you already own a Lite, like registering your serial number. They may also have you pay for shipping but I don't know).

Someone who had a European Lite sent theirs to Nintendo to get it repaired and also wanted to buy the thumb strap but sadly they didn't seem to sell them. However, they were able to send that person a thumb strap (which of course they had since they are included with all original DS') free of charge along with their repaired/replaced DS Lite.

5. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    use it as a wrist strap?
    I have an original NDS, and it's too small to fit on my wrist.

6. apelete

Newcomer apelete Member

France
    You may as well look for the Comfort Stylus. I bought one, and I think it's better than Nintendo thumb stylus, and useful for games that requires buttons AND touch screen interfacing at the same time (Mario 64, Mario Hoops...). You can keep the stylus on one finger and use another finger for buttons...

http://www.comfortstylus.com/

7. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    I liked the thumb strap thing. It wasnt too bad really.
    I lost mine however :/
    Plus my cat liked to chew it to bits.

The only third party solution ive seen is the Thumb stylus thing from MadCatz. It goes on your thumb with a small tiny blood cloting velcro strap, and feels too damn akward.

Heres a pic.

[​IMG]

It really doesnt work well, and is made of a cheap crappy plastic.
    Not really worth the five bucks, even with the extra stylus pens. Wich are made just as cheap.

The only other solution ive heard of is to use one of thos small suction cup things off an old washer or dryer. If you find one small enough it can be placed on your screen (providing you clean it first ofcourse) and it should suciton itself onto it and act kinda like a rael thumb stick.

Never tried it myself, but its a cool idea.

I wish a third party would pick up the idea nad make REAL thumb sticks of differnt sizes and junk. Maybe something that has inerchangable caps or something.

Anyway, hope that helps some.

In your case though, Id just go with the official one. Its more worth the time and money.