through the washing machine, oops.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by DjFIL, Sep 22, 2007.

Sep 22, 2007
  1. DjFIL
    OP

Member DjFIL GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    any one else do this by accident to their DS Lite? oh please give me hope that it will work again. i've removed all the carts and left it hinged open on the counter, to give it the best chance to air out. wish i had one of the 3-star screw drivers to remove the battery cover and battery. i'm hoping it will dry out and work just fine. my main consern, i saw a good bit of water right under the touch screen.

2. Saylient_Dreams

Member Saylient_Dreams GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Not sure, but I think EGM threw a GBA in a toilet and aired it for 5 days, and it worked. Hopefully the same luck will be blessed on your DS Lite (seeing how Nintendo hasn't been the best with quality on DS Lites doesn't look hopeful). If you really want to open it up you can take a 2mm flat head screw driver. It's what I've been using instead of a tri-wing.

3. CannonBallZ

Member CannonBallZ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    try leaving it in a tub of rice [​IMG] im serious...i read somewhere, this guy dropped his blackberry in the swimming pool, so he left it in a tub of rice (raw of course) for 3 days and it absorbed all the moisture,

electronics are generally fine when they are wet, as long as you don't turn it back on!!!

4. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    I'd generally recommend rinsing it in demineralized water over leaving it in rice. The minerals in normal water can corrode the chipset, and this process prevents that problem which may occur if you just let it dry normally.

5. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Same suggestion, dont turn it on unless it is dry, because there is when you fry something. Let dry for a few days.

6. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    dont you(r parents) check your pockets when you wash stuff?

7. DjFIL
    OP

Member DjFIL GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    i guess i was in a rush when i threw it all (included car keys w/ remote opener, wallet w/ id's and my DS) in to the wash. never checked the pants for some dumb reason. 2nd time in one month, but this the first time that the DS was in there too.

i'll leave it for a few days with battery out and hope for the best. thanks all for suggestions.

8. amemoryoncelost

Member amemoryoncelost GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've heard of leaving it on top of a microwave as well, but eh, best thing is to wait as long as possible, few days minimum like everyone else has suggested.

good luck!

9. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    wouldnt micro wave wreck the wireless?

10. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    definitely. Microwave does NOT dry, they activate and energize water molecules. do NOT stick it in a microwave. I'd take it apart (if you know how and put it in a warm dry place for it to dry out a bit. if you have any PURE water (de-ionized) then rinse it a BIT with the water (just enough to get rid of the old water).

do NOt turn it on until it is COMPLETELY dry.

11. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    See if you can get some silica gel from somewhere, it is usually included in shoeboxes. Put some on top and underneath your DS

- Sam

12. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    you can use a normal screwdriver or Knife to remove the battery cover then put it in a bowl of rice in the warmest place in your house like where the heating is. Leave it for a week then try it. but the touch screen might be dodgy till it is completely dry!

13. myclock

Member myclock GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    the stuff you find in packaging... think its silicon? thats a good absorber

14. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Partially correct [​IMG] It's sodium silicate aka. silica gel

15. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia

he said to put it on top of the microwave not in it [​IMG]

16. myclock

Australia
    how do you do that? i got a 2mm flat head and the screw doesnt move at all! im scared it mite scratch the screw so i wont be able to remove it anymore

17. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    You push it in really hard and you turn it so its in of the triwing's indents. Its a little hard to do( Its why I bought a Triwing from DX for 2.50 along with a phillips head [​IMG] )

18. zombielove

Member zombielove GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    You know those pens with the plastic thing in the end that you can take out? Anyway, it's a kind of softish plastic. You can heat them up with a cigarette lighter then stick it into a piece of metal until it cools down.

That's how you make a tri-wing screwdriver.

But the screws are down pretty deep on the DS, so you'd have to make something thin enough to fit down that hole.

19. myclock

Australia
    yeah i knew that you could do that. are you referring to the cap of the pen like the cheap Bic crystal ones?if its softish, the final result would also be soft? rather just get harder material and heat it with the stove [​IMG]

20. LETMEIN

Newcomer LETMEIN Member

Singapore
    well....last time when i was still using super card i dropped the super card with memory into the toilet when i was doing big things.......luckily i drop it in when my big things have not come out but i let it dry for a few hours and everything was fine and 1 more thing i hope people learn from this mistake and dont put ds in your pocket [​IMG]