Three Wild Rumours. SE Shonen RPG & New DS Model

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, Oct 16, 2007.

Oct 16, 2007
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Various sources which probably originate from one member posting on a gamefaqs forum say:

Square Enix are developing a RPG title for the DS which will include multiple Shonen Jump characters, which if true probably won't make it outside of Japan anyway due to licensing issues.

Even more unlikely Nintendo will release a new DS model for next Spring. This rumoured model is said to have a built in Digital TV/Radio tuner...ahem. I wonder what actually happened to that digital TV tuner that was suppose to come out?

Most likely to be true is that Dragon Quest 9 will appear only on PSP.

So erm anyone wanna discuss this?

2. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    didn't they say DQ9 was coming to wii ?

3. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    I have a problem with two out of the three:
    Last I checked, DQ9 was coming exclusively to the DS, so unless sony readied the big, BIG fucking checkbooks, I'd dismiss this as a sony fanboy's wet dream.
    Next, the TV tuner. On a handheld console which is supposedly simple to produce and use, you wanna add a fucking NIGHTMARE of standards? Pal, secam (and its twenty different flavors), NTSC, TNT, which standard is the DS gonna use? Only one? All of them? Whoopty-doo, manufacture a worldwide and region-free system to be compatible with so many standards? This, coming from a company that couldn't be ARSED to add a deCSS to the wii and keeps saying "go look elsewhere if you want your all-in-one media convergence device"? EFFIN' DISMISSED.
    Now SE doing a crossover-heavy RPG would be a sensible decision, as kingdom hearts raked in the moolah like nobody's business. On the bullshit-o-meter, I'd rate the lowest compared to the other two rumors.

4. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    A Radio/TV tuner would definitly bring a little interest from casual gamers. Though why not add a few gigs of flash and make it an MP3 player?
    Though that really isnt a Nintendo thing, its not their style to just add on a buncha extras like that. Heck they are still contimplating Wii DVD movie playback.

However a new model is always possible.
    Though it seems a little early for them to make another.
    Im still waiting for Improved versions of the origonal model.
    With say a better screen :/
    Not gonna happen :/

So ya, new model, unlikely this soon. New model with TV/Radio tuner, even more unlikely.

Square making a shonen jump RPG? Likely.
    Im sure there could have been atleast some talk about it between the two companies at one time.

Dragon Quest 9 only for PSP?
    The PSP's low sales outside of Japan would mean theyd be at a loss.
    Sony does tend to string up their third party contracts, but a smart decision would be to put it on a more popular console or make ports.
    Heck they could always do a PS2 release again. Thats still selling well.
    PSP exclusive? I think not.
    Exclusive oriognal game for PSP? Possible. Say Dragon Quest Partly Singing Pachinko... maybe...

Just my few cents on it.
    Its just rumors though.
    Personally I dont think they are really good ones.
    How bout Sonic in Mariokart and Master Cheif VS Samus multiconsole game.
    Maybe Ape Escape bike racing game! xD

Ok so those might be worse >.>

5. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    There is no way Dragon Quest is gonna be cancelled on the DS. After the big hubba-ba-loo they made about it, they aren't about to can all the work they did on it.

6. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    Okay, that DS rumour is sooooo not true! If there's one thing Nintendo isn't thinking about it's bloody digital radio or tv on its handheld. What I do think IS true is that next spring there will be an announcement of a new gameboy/ds...

7. Hit

Member Hit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    The netherlands dont even use Tv Tuner just for the cheap country neds
    Nederland 1 2 and 3
    But for good tv you need satalite or cable

8. IxthusTiger

Member IxthusTiger Cruddy's Buddy

United States
    Hitto wins, and to eliminate the last rumor, Square ENix does not hold the license to make a Shonen Jump game, that would be Bandai Namco.

9. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    I would hate SE for moving the game from the DS Platform ( Beside this, I read on a german Newssite that it would come out on DS AND PSP ) because tne DS really hasn´t much Exclusives...

There even was a Screenshot about the so called "GameLabo" Magazin posting this shit.

I really was happy to see that SE started to focus on Nintendo Systems again after that long time of Sony, but maybe this has to do with the fact that Sony buys Square Enix Shares all the time... Those damn Sony Suckers, why can´t they just accept that Nintendo won already ?

10. warbird

Member warbird GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    I could see Nintendo making a TV tuner for the Japanese market. Even my more than a year old cellphone has a digital tv tuner, and it seems almost all new electronic dictionaries got one too these days.

take a look at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1seg

11. pasc

Germany
    There is already one out in Japan, sadly not for Europe and Amerika ;[.

12. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah the tuner is only capable of receiving "One-Seg" broadcasts. "One-Seg" is a kind of terrestrial digital broadcast, meaning this TV tuner cannot receive traditional analog TV broadcasts. Not sure if any other countries do "one-seg" though, I couldn't even tell you if the British digital is "one-seg".

13. pasc

Germany
    BTW: Guys, don´t trust these rumors. All Gamelabo-rumors have turned out wrong (Once they even said that there would be a touch PS3 lol [​IMG])

14. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    doesn't sound too convincing.

15. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    wireless TV tuner right?

16. pasc

Germany
    Plus they develope the DS Version since nearly a year now and Japan is DS and Wii crazy so the hell would have to freeze over if SE would bring DQIX to ONLY the PSP... It would be a total waste of money especially since even Famitsu announced that DQIX could have the pontential to sell 5 Mio. times and break all DQ sale records.

17. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well it could be likely that DQ 9 could appear on PSP after the DS, what with the last PSP FF selling like crazy in Japan but the three rumours smell of bovine excrement.

18. Pigwooly

Member Pigwooly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nintendo isn't going to release a new handheld when they're on top of the world. They're doing far better than they've done since the Super Nintendo and DS Lites are selling like hotcakes.

I'm sure they don't want everyone to have to go buy a new system. Console manufacturers make most of their money selling Dev Kits to game companies and on their first part titles, not on the systems themselves, which they often lose money or break even on. I think Nintendo makes a little on DS's, but as long as a lot of DS games are being made and sold Nintendo has no reason to replace it. It's not like the PSP is cutting into their market dominance.

Also a tv/radio tuner. That's just retarded. [​IMG]

19. Jei

Member Jei Translator and romhacker wannabe

Brazil
    NO!! [​IMG]

To the hell with Dragon Quest Monsters, I want a genuine Dq on the Ds, damnit!

20. pasc

Germany
    It won´t come out on the PSP anytime soon, DS WILL GET IT FOR SURE !