Hacking Three technical Gateway questions that concern me

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two concerns about Gateway that I need answers for.

1. Can I add friends on sysnand or emunand to play games online?

2. Is it possible to backup and restore save files for Animal Crossing New Leaf? Where on the SD card is the save written? I'd love to make as much towns as I want, with only one copy.

3. Can you inject a header into a game, then later on inject another header into the same game? Or would I have to start off with a fresh file?

To add to number 3, is it possible to change the header of a personally dumped game, by injecting another header? I want to keep my save file for Mario Kart 7, but then I don't want it to BE the same as my original cartridge.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
1. yeah you can add friends and play online, and play online if your using a retail cart or a .3DZ rom with the header properly set up

2. Yeah it is possible, but the save is stored inside the rom file, there is a tool designed for extracting and injecting the save into the rom

3. No once you use a header with a rom it will be tied to that header, same applies for a dumped retail cart, the save is tied to the cart header

Reactions: MattKimura

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. yeah you can add friends and play online, and play online if your using a retail cart or a .3DZ rom with the header properly set up

2. Yeah it is possible, but the save is stored inside the rom file, there is a tool designed for extracting and injecting the save into the rom

3. No once you use a header with a rom it will be tied to that header, same applies for a dumped retail cart, the save is tied to the cart header

Thanks for the support, I knew I could rely on GBAtemp for an answer.
So from what you said on No 3, you can't inject headers into a game that already has a header? I understand that new headers mean new save files now. Are scene dumps EMPTY, and allow you to inject headers into them? Or can headers simply be overwritten at any time, as many times as you want with the same game?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thanks for the support, I knew I could rely on GBAtemp for an answer.
So from what you said on No 3, you can't inject headers into a game that already has a header? I understand that new headers mean new save files now. Are scene dumps EMPTY, and allow you to inject headers into them? Or can headers simply be overwritten at any time, as many times as you want with the same game?
Yeah you can overwrite the header with a different one, but just as long as you know you will have to start your save again

Have a look at the "how to uses scene dumps online thread, it covers the injecting and editing of headers to allow online use of games that don't already have the header in place

Reactions: MattKimura

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?