Three Glasses-Less 3DTVs Expected by Toshiba Before Year's End

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Terminator02, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    [​IMG]
    Before the end of the year, three 3DTVs from Toshiba not requiring cumbersome glasses to get the full effects are expected, after using something similar to Sharp's parallax barrier tech, as seen in the Nintendo 3DS.

The Japanese publication Yomiuri Shimbun is claiming Toshiba will launch three models before Christmas, using a technology they developed which emits light rays at different angles, meaning glasses aren't required.

Toshiba previously spoke of this technology as being 21-inches in size, with the panel not quite full HD, at 1280 x 800 (WXGA) resolution. Back in April they described the technology as the following:

"The integral imaging system offers a significant reduction in eye fatigue during long periods of viewing, and features a multi-parallax[1] design that enables motion parallax, which cannot be achieved by systems using glasses. The multi-parallax approach results in images that change depending on the viewer's position. In addition, the viewing angle is wide, and the resulting stereoscopic image is natural and smooth. In some previous integral imaging implementations, there have been issues raised relating to the loss of effective image resolution. In previous implementations, if the number of pixels in the display is kept constant and not increased, then the multi-parallax approach will reduce the effective resolution of the 3D display in an inverse proportion to the number of parallax positions. We have addressed this problem by applying LTPS (low-temperature poly-silicon) technology to develop an ultra-high-definition LCD module for this newly-introduced high-definition and large-screen 3D display.
    This 21-inch auto-stereoscopic high-definition display adopts a lens sheet to control reduction in surface luminance intensity, resulting in brightness comparable to standard 2D displays. The power consumption of the display is relatively low. The new 21-inch display is considered to be environmentally friendly with low power usage. Furthermore, the display can be used in a vertical or horizontal position. When used in the vertical position, the user faces the upright screen from the front as a person would usually use a 2D monitor. However, when used in the horizontal position, the user overlooks the stereoscopic image formed by the display lying face-up, as one would overlook a relief model. Compared with the front view, the 3D images seen face-up from the bird's eye view are more stereoscopic and realistic."

Three glasses-less 3DTVs before the end of the year, eh Toshiba? Guess we'll be seeing some nice announcements from the Japanese company next week at IFA.[/p]
    [​IMG]Source (Gizmodo)

BTW, it won't let me use my GBAtemp uploaded pix because it says they are dynamic [​IMG], weird

2. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Cool [​IMG]!!!!

All I i can think for now is 3DS to these tv, features like output [​IMG]

3. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    That's awesome! You know , technology advances so fast, it's crazy!

4. cris92x

Member cris92x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I wonder how this will affect sony's 3d tv sales, I mean they are pricy and they rarely get bought yet sony has been pushing 3D like no tomorrow....

5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    yes 1 step closer to holo-decks! [​IMG]

6. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Hmm... this sounds good, but I have 1 question: How much is the viewing angle?
    If there's a really crappy view angle, then there's not really any point in making the tech into a TV.

7. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Yeah, that would suck, like if you had to sit 3 feet away from the TV, forever burning out your eyeballs.

8. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    from my post: "The multi-parallax approach results in images that change depending on the viewer's position. In addition, the viewing angle is wide, and the resulting stereoscopic image is natural and smooth."

9. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    now if we could just make em roll up oled tv's (doesn't look like that tech will mature any time soon, curse you cheap lcd tech arrrrgh, lol.

10. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Save the image to your desktop.
    Then upload it using GBAtemp's picture upload.

--
    I'm not interested in this until we have true high-definition (1080p) on a glasses-free 3DTV.

11. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    a few things

these tv's can only push out 720p, where as the regular 3d tv's can push out 1080p
    right now these are 21in, where as regular 3d tv's there doesnt seem a size restriction
    we dont know the price on these yet, regular 3d tv's are expensive to say the least; basically add $1000 to price if you want 3d
    and finally these tv can be properly viewed from a certain angle to get the 3d experience, move slightly away from the target zone and the 3d effect is lost, where as regular 3d tv's anyone wearing the active shutter glasses can still have 3d and move around ect...

now its not just sony making 3d tv's
    theres samsung, panisonic, lg, and a few others

but if you really care that much about their tv's sales then dont worry
    http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2...pecial-glasses/

12. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    This is one of the things I wish to see before I die in the future.

13. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    They display in 768p (1280×800), I think.
    21 inches is way too small for a main television, IMO. 32 inches is the minimum for me.

14. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It was also revelled a few weeks ago by gizmodo: any tv 120mzh and higher can display 3d with those 3d boxes and glasses.

Yet sony's "3d compatible" tv sales remained the same.

15. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Issho ni Bathtime in 3D here I come.

I'll buy one of these and I'm glad I didn't invest in one earlier.

I'll watch it in 3D and may get disappointed then switch it back to 2D and wonder why did I watch it in 3D in the first place.

16. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    But then as YaYMii said the viewing angle better be large otherwise it's going to suck.

17. megawalk

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    Objection!
    1 step closer to giant SUPER ROBOTS!