THQ titles vanishing from EU PSN Store, eShop

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It's a sad story. A couple months ago, THQ entered a huge tailspin and just flat out died. Most of their IPs were sold off, such as Saints Row to Deep Silver, Homefront to Crytek, South Park: The Stick of Truth to Ubisoft, etc. While some titles will go unaffected, European users may feel the effect of their closure as many THQ titles have begun disappearing from online services.

For Nintendo's eShop, the only THQ game on there, Darksiders II, has disappeared. Considering they collapsed shortly after the Wii U's launch, not a lot was made minus Darksiders II.

On the PSN Store, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Darksiders, and De Blob 2 are gone.

With no one owning these IPs (Darksiders is currently up for sale), the money is essentially going nowhere. For now, if you want these games, you'll have to look into a physical copy in Europe.

Ironically, the US PSN Store just launched a THQ sale for the week. I just bought Red Faction: Guerrilla myself.

:arrow: Source

2. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Apparently, Vigil Crytek USA wants to buy Darksiders back

Source

I hope this turns out well, be a shame to let the franchise rot in limbo. Too bad you can't get digital copies now, I wonder if Steam will pull it too.

Celice likes this.
  3. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Look people, piracy doesn't necessarily mean hurting business :tpi:

4. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Yeah, I'd love to see Vigil buy it back.

The first Darksiders is alright, nothing excellent but it's a decent game. Vigil just seemed really passionate about the franchise, they built the IP from scratch and I heard pretty good things about Darksiders II. It's kinda their baby and it'd be a shame if they didn't get it.

Ron likes this.
  5. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    TH-QQ.

6. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Does this affect already-purchased games? I just switched PS3s and can't restore my downloaded games off the backup I made, and it'd be a shame if I couldn't redownload Darksiders.

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Though I must confess this is coming from a position of not knowing what it costs/requires to maintain a title on the digital services I am half surprised there is no kind of holding company type arrangement so they can keep a trickle of funding coming in for ones they still own.
    That said bankruptcy proceedings are strange even by accountancy standards so I probably should not be so surprised.

8. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    That's a bummer. Hopefully the stuff start reappearing after the IPs are sold or THQ manages to continue business in one way or the other. Luckily I've got most of the titles on discs, but you never know..

9. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It should still be possible to redownload old stuff. Kind of like on PSP, there are titles that were pulled but those who bought them still have access. Also, the 3DS eshop does something similar with Zelda: Four Swords. (Those that got it when it was available are able to redownload it even now)

10. ForteGospel

Member ForteGospel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    dunno if the steam got the game out of the store, but you can always support the humble bundle and get 4 of those games...

11. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    lucky for me I got just about every THQ title I gave a ounce of care about and even if they get pulled from the store steam will still let me redownload em at any time, since I already have some games that you cant find on the store I know its the case for me personally

12. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Haven't checked all THQ's games, but darksiders (1 and 2) and a whole bunch of red factions are still on purchase...

...all of them quite above the price of the humble bundle package. :unsure: