THQ says Wii U power surpasses current gen by far

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Shuji1987, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Shuji1987
    OP

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    Question: In what ways would the Wii U version be superior over the 360/PS3 versions?

THQ Employee: Well the Wii U is full of potential as far as specs go. I know that Metro: Last Light is running at a good 50-60 fps on the PC, so I'm not sure how the Wii U version will compare to that. But the Wii U version of games from ALL developers and publishers, have potential for much smoother framerates, improved textures, and additional bonus content that the 360/PS3 version's won't have. In a way, buying the Wii U version over the 360/PS3 versions, will be like buying the Blu-ray version of a movie instead of the standard dvd version. You get better visuals, and more additional content with the Wii U version of any game compared to the other console version. But this will only happen as long as a developer or publisher puts in the time and effort instead of doing a straight port.

Question: I noticed a lot of games for 360 and PS3 don't take advantage of TRUE 1080p. Could we see more games on Wii U taking advantage of true 1080p resolution?

THQ Employee: The Wii U is much more powerful than the other HD consoles, so Wii U doesn't have a huge problem doing 1080p for the majority of its games. Will Darksiders 2 and Metro: Last Light be in 1080p on Wii U? I can't speak for the teams behind those games. I don't work on those specific teams so I can't say what they plan to do with the Wii U versions of their games as far as graphics or content go. I do know based on the specs I've seen, the console is more than capable of graphics that surpass current consoles. It's like I said before. Expect majority of third party Wii U games from most publishers to have true 1080p, additional content, and smoother framrates than what the PS3/360 versions offer. If you want the DEFINITIVE version of any game in your library, I would suggest either the PC version or the Wii U version...at least for now. This is not a knock agains the 360/PS3 versions of any games either. Fans of the 360 and PS3 are the majority of the gamers who games...period. So publishers have to give them the best product we can.

Question: There is a lot of emphasis on graphics nowadays. Where do you see graphics going with future consoles? And will the Wii U be able to graphically compete against new consoles from Sony and Microsoft?

THQ Employee: Listening to people within the company, people are pretty happy with the specs of the Wii U. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about. There is one thing I want to mention though. Better graphics is not all rosey for gamers in the long run. Better graphics means that game developers have to increase their staff and their budgets so games will tap into the full potential of next gen hardware. The costs to hire more artists or programmers to a team would get passed down to gamers. Which is why 360 and PS3 games went up 10 bucks compared to the previous generation with Playstation 2, GameCube, and Xbox. It's fun to dream about the possibilities of the kind of graphics you could see if a console had 10 times better graphics than the current consoles. But with a console that is 10 times more powerful...expect 10 dollars to be added to the price tag every generation. Again, I'm just speculating. I'm not saying any publisher would add to the price. But games aren't selling like they use to, and costs to produce high budget games need to be passed down to the consumers who can afford to play. I predict a very expensive future in gaming.[/p]

Source and full interview.

Though I'm still a bit suspicious just because there isn't an employee name listed. However, if this turns out to be true that would be awesome.

2. thela_kid

Member thela_kid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    something tells me this is complete bullshit opinions

3. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Meh, never really trust THQ.

4. Necron

Member Necron Lurking~

Chile
    Well, it should surpass them, it's not supossed to be a next-gen console? [​IMG]

5. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    It's funny that they are comparing the Wii U to the PS360.

I mean, it's next gen, it shouldn't be compared to last gen.... Well, maybe for Nintendo.

6. Erdnaxela

Member Erdnaxela GBAtemp Fan

France
    Like how everyone compared 3DS to PSP, lol.

7. Mr.Mysterio

Member Mr.Mysterio GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Qatar
    What else can they compare it to? Have the next gens PS360 been announced?? [​IMG]

8. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Ninty probably paid them to say such things.

9. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    You guys are funny. I understand mistrusting Nintendo's power level, based on their track record, but you are clearly getting uptight and uncomfortable at the suggestion that Nintendo has surpassed 6 year old hardware. Even a hardened Xbox/PS3 fanboys shouldn't feel the need to deny something like that.

10. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    Reminds me of the 3DS that was supposed to have X360/PS3 graphics.

Wii-U will certainly have an architecture similar to the current gen 360/PS3, not something much more powerful.

But we know that Nintendo are good at making amazing games with limited hardware, and that's all I want, good games.

11. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    That tech demo of link fighting Gohma in HD speaks louder to me than the words of this employee.
    Please to observe.
    [youtube]-hmgouc-ycs[/youtube]

If WiiU is capable of this, I can die happily right then and there.

12. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Why can't Nintendo come out and say that themselves? These are just claims. Not facts. CLAIMS

13. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    This. Every time they say this I always think "Well, that's to be expected".

14. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Wasn't that by one source? Also I think it was mention that it comes near them.

Trustful or not, I already believe it does. I just want to game on it.

Even if the controllers are a bust, which I doubt, we still have the wii remotes.

Do we really need this as next gen every time the wii u is mention? It next gen period. [​IMG]

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yes people, it is entirely possible for a 2011 consumer car to be able to go faster than a 1950's race car.

The PS3 is almost 5 years old the Xbox 360 is almost six.

Time marches on, people.

16. AaronUzumaki

Member AaronUzumaki A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon

United States
    Just to clarify, the only system Nintendo EVER released that had less power than the other systems was Wii and maybe one of the earlier Gameboys (not sure when other portable systems came out). First of all, before DS and in terms of power, NES>All, SNES>SEGA, GB>ALL, GBA>ALL, N64>PS1, Xbox>Gamecube>PS3 (only technically. Structurally, Gamecube was that most powerful, which is why it has the best-looking games). Nowadays, in terms of power, PSP>DS, VITA>3DS, PS3>XBOX360>WII, but take note that the DS was released BEFORE PSP, and therefore was the most powerful portable system at the time. 3DS was released BEFORE Vita, which makes IT the most powerful portable currently. The only exception is the Wii, which launched after 360 and PS3 and was less poerful ()by a large degree too).

I didn't mean to make this sound like some fanboy rant, because it's not. I just get tired of people saying Nintendo systems are always "weak" when it has only really been the case once.

On topic: Who gives a crap? I don't want a powerful system, I want a well-supported one. Graphics are just a fancy addition to the important part: The games.

17. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    they say they need more ppl to make better graphical games. hire less ppl and increase production time.

u cant have everything. at the end of the day, u make a game fast FOR the gamer but he doesnt like the price so whats the use of the speed?

18. Necron

Member Necron Lurking~

Chile
    "I'm the number one in the realm!... in which only one person lives..." lol

19. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I have to say, this agrument is kinda invalid. The way you're saying it is that Sony purposely waits for the console to come out then design the PSP/PSV, making it more powerful. They have already designed it way before the other parties' launch.

20. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    I would not be shocked if this were true. Nintendo needs to step up in the market they have captured the kid market pretty well and know how to do family friendly stuff. The real money to be made is in the casual/hardcore game market kids have to rely on the parents to buy stuff the real gamers make their own money and spend it "wisely" like on games lol