Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
232895-pokemon_omega_ruby_alpha_sapphire_header.jpg
Goodbye academia, it was a pleasure getting to know you. There's been a lack of food for thought pieces lately, and I felt like it'd be fun to just have a post like this because it's been everywhere the past couple of days. It's definitely not a secret that I enjoy playing games from Nintendo - they're good, shameless fun. Who would have guessed a Pokémon drawing game could be so entertaining? *wink* It's also not a secret that I'm a fan of Pokémon, and it's definitely known that I loved Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire as a child. That was the big thing for me growing up - ten years old, starting a journey. It felt real because I actually was understanding what was going on, instead of defaulting on Hyper Beam because it looked cool. So cue my surprise back in May, when it's announced that Ruby and Sapphire were being remade into Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. We'll go a bit deeper, but I must warn you, if you're afraid for spoilers, this might be an article you might want to pass up on.
[prebreak]Continue reading[/prebreak]​
The game looked better with every single screenshot that came out. I love those month long waits for the Japanese Coro Coro! magazine to see what new things were being developed. And lately, the craziness has gone through the roof. Is it just me here?!​
Besides the major graphical overhaul that Ruby and Sapphire got from screenshots, the music becoming orchestrated, all the little things we expected from a remake, elements have been introduced that really have me curious now. The game itself is starting to actually feel modern, and by modern, I mean more alive. The world looks so much more active that it makes the Kalos region of Pokemon X and Y look stagnant and dry. Some examples of this are the videos of the overworld - Pokémon are flying around in the air, the grass sways in the breeze of the wind. For me, it's those incredibly small subtleties that make this adventure something that I really am looking forward to. I can shrug off the many Mega Evolutions that have been revealed to date, albeit I do have some bones to pick with the choices because some of them just feel pointless to have added in. I'm not a huge fan of Mega Beedrill. But the game is starting to look and feel more realistic, and I love it. How so?​

Two days ago, the demo for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire got released to players in most of the territories, except for the United States - due for release on October 21st in a Pokémon Trainer Club newsletter. Oh well. But a slew of details started coming out, and it's looking absolutely marvelous with each revelation. Free flight. Yes. For the first time, Pokémon is taking exploration into the sky. It reminded me of a more free version of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's flight portion. Except this time, the Hoenn region is below us, and we're flying on Latios and Latias. I've always wanted a feature like this for the longest time. I feel like there is definitely so much that can be utilized in the air - Nintendo also revealed that legendary Pokémon from previous generations could be captured in the sky. Not to mention, flying to individual routes from the sky. It never made sense that the game only allowed us to fly to cities!​
XAh4Suy.jpg
With this barrier having been overcome, it also looks like Nintendo has finally woken up somewhat and is creating a much more vibrant world - the bottom screen, dominated by the new MultiNav interface, has a news feed that gives out new information. I think this is great - a subtle change, but a welcoming one, considering that our lives are so surrounded by technology that it's finally great to see Nintendo getting the gist of it and adding it into the game. I was always curious how the television feature of Ruby and Sapphire would be integrated; I guess I found my answer.​
There's so much I'm looking forward to with these titles, and I'm hoping you guys will share that journey with me when the game comes out! Are you ready to ditch your academic life for a while, or have you already dropped it once Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 3DS came out? What do you guys think of the titles as they've been presented? Any hard feelings about it? I mean, I get that lack of customization might be a bummer, but for those of us playing men it's okay, I looked like a dork in clothes I would never wear in real life! Let me know what your feelings are here!​

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nice, I like the part about flight. I was hyped for these games from the moment I first heard there were remakes being made, but haven't seen much footage of the games. It's great that they are actually adding new notable features to the game instead of just small changes. Now I'm even more sure that I'm gonna love the remakes more than I loved the originals :)

The demo didn't really show much, but was nice nonetheless. Around 1 hour long it's not too bad for a demo and the soundtrack is great. I always loved the R/S/E soundtrack and I can't wait to hear the orchestrated gym leader battle music.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Nice article! I'm definitely more excited than I was a couple months ago. I just hope it will be different from Kalos, which bored me so after the first couple playthroughs.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait for this to come out!
Sorry Persona Q, I think I'm going to be playing this the most during that week.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I haven't played Pokémon for ages but it was good to try it out and see it didn't change as much as I had seen on gameplay videos, which is good because if it ain't broken then don't fix it.

Although if Nintendo could release Pokén Tournament for the Wii U and 3DS in Japan then get it over to EU/US I'd be so happy 'cause that game looks freaking awesome!

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
these trailers are getting worse and worse...

"OMG LEVENDARY POKEMON LATIOS AND LATIAS MEGA EVOLVE! LOOK HOW AMAZING IT IS!"

yeah yeah yeah... move on...

i am so hyped for the game!

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Another remake? Pokemon games already almost identical to each other. Somebody having major issues with their creative imagination thing.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Definitely agree on your point about the vibrant world. I think after so many years and much better technology, it's time to implement things that are a little more advanced than what was in the first dragon warrior 30 years ago.
What I personally would like to have is being able to see the pokemon roaming in the wild, instead of battles being triggered by RNG. Kind of like chrono trigger, more or less, but with randomized spawns instead of fixed ones.
Not only that, but they should be given basic behaviours scripts and would interact with both the environments and other pokemon, in a way that it would be interesting to just stand there and watch, very loosely similar to pokemon snap.

For example, I love when monsters in monster hunter react to each other. Like how the small raptor species normally run away from the big wyverns, but if those are below some healrth treshold and thus weakened, they will actually attack them. These little things that make you feel like you're inside a more coherent world and not a crude, shallow tile-based random number simulator.
Perhaps the 3DS is still not the adequate system to have this, as rendering a more open world with things going on in the distance, on top of the horrible resolution, may be too taxing.

Anyway, traveling imprevements really had to be there, games like final fantasy 7 had a 3d open overworld map that was fully traversable, and that was a relatively early title for the PS1.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
In X and Y, there were only a few true 3D environments. Lumiose city was a cool idea, but after fumbling around it for an hour, not getting access to a lot of areas, and the whole "style" deal that stopped you from entering buildings, made it really annoying after a while. Taxis were too expensive (Pro tip: buy 1 premiere ball 99 times to max your style)

Here's hoping the 3D effect won't go to waste in ORAS.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
The font used in X/Y/3rd Gen Remakes feels like an eyesore, something that could be from an iOS app.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah remakes... IMO i'm getting sick of em but... what can i say... it' the money there getting just not my money this time.

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This game has features that were already exist before but was removed later on. I will probably finish this game with bulbasaur/charmander/squirtle/pidgey/random/mew(HM Slave) like all other remake. Once elite four is done, the game is over.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
ah remakes... IMO i'm getting sick of em but... what can i say... it' the money there getting just not my money this time.

I like me some 10+ year old game remakes but bullshit like Etrian Oddysey 2 which is already on the predecessor console and possible to play on the current console is a no.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: